Sunday 5/1/22 Bulwagga Bay DYP Partner Practice

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
AmFishFil Thinking
Species: Trout, Salmon, Bass, Pike, Per

Sunday 5/1/22 Bulwagga Bay DYP Partner Practice

Post by AmFishFil Thinking »

Went fishing on Sunday With my DYP Partner (Brown Trout) (11 yr old) and my Cousin Jeff on Sunday launched chimney Point at 6 am. Saw Dilly worm at the launch. Good to see you Dilly.

Finally, Brown Trout decided it was now warm enough to go fishing. He is excited for the DYP tournament to be entered.

Managed our way to the NY side north of the Port Henry to troll South into Bulwagga Bay. Sunny. Surface Temp 46 deg. Right off the bat Jeff and Brown Trout picked up a couple of lakers. Then, it was all quiet for 2 hours. We had on Yo-zuri pin needle stick baits with 1 sinker 140 ft out on planners and black/silver spoons on riggers down 15 ft. That was the hot ticket last weekend, but nothing Sunday on that set up with several circles in the bay.

Decided to switch things up. On planner, replaced yo-zuri sticks with purple Rapalla deep diving shad raps and replaced the Cop Car spoon (black/silver) with Brown trout and bikini copper spoon (copper) and that was the ticket. We were hitting silver left and right about 9 am. Its amazing one weekend one thing is hot and another weekend you got have something else ready to switch to.

Nothing big enough to win the DYP, but we will keep practicing. We went 6 for 9 on silver. Released 3 back. Caught 1 18" steelhead. Caught 3 lake trout and released 2. Lost a very large lake trout just at the net.

Our son brought home salmon dinner cooked Filipino style with whole fish stuffed with onion, tomato, ginger, and lemons. Served with rice and a sauce of soy sauce with chopped onion, tomato, cilantro and hot peppers.

Had a great day with Brown Trout's first day back on the water. We will keep practicing for the DYP.
Attachments
IMG_4363.jpg
IMG_4363.jpg (120.89 KiB) Viewed 800 times
salmon dinner.jpg
salmon dinner.jpg (82.86 KiB) Viewed 801 times
salmon boat.jpg
salmon boat.jpg (126.33 KiB) Viewed 801 times
lloyd fish smile.jpg
lloyd fish smile.jpg (25.06 KiB) Viewed 801 times
lloyd fish on.jpg
lloyd fish on.jpg (20.41 KiB) Viewed 801 times
FishPole Thinking
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: Sunday 5/1/22 Bulwagga Bay DYP Partner Practice

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Glad you switch lures and found the one they wanted that day. Good luck at the DYP.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Great report. Thanks for sharing.. love the pics!
Matt B
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Post by Dilly Worm »

AmFishFil Thinking wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:38 am We went 6 for 9 on silver. Released 3 back. Caught 1 18" steelhead. Caught 3 lake trout and released 2. Lost a very large lake trout just at the net.
Good to see you too ! Sounds like you guys had a great day, that's a lot of fish and 3/4 of a grand slam !

I was 1 for 3 with just a small salmon. All hits came on a Brown Trout 1/6 oz Speedy Shiner, so thats sort of consistent with your report about what lures were working. I didn't catch anything after 7 AM and couldn't find anything that would work on the other line. Between the bright sun, no wind/waves, and dozens of boats on Bulwagga I was thinking the fish might have been skittish, but you guys obviously figured them out ! Beautiful day to be on the lake regardless !
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !