Fish Hawk X4D maximum cannon ball size

Share info on fishing Champlain.
pfu
Species: Cold and warm species

Fish Hawk X4D maximum cannon ball size

Post by pfu »

Notice the Fishhawk manual referenced the breakaway cable if caught on bottom (not sure how good) was good for 10-12# balls. What are people using as norm when going deep? I like 15# weights but not sure how the X4D might take it.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Fish Hawk X4D maximum cannon ball size

Post by Reelax »

I use the same break away for any ball size. I don’t like the new links they send without any cable spacer… don’t give much ledge protection with no cable.

Fish on!
Matt B
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

I've been running 15 lb balls, and was using the fish hawk breakaway thing above my winger I made, chamberlain release, and a Dreamweaver snubber. Last fall I tapped the bottom once, and away it all went. Probably $75 worth of stuff, and the time to make a new winger. Except my probe of course, the whole reason the breakaway was there.

It was such a small contact, it didn't even pull the rigger drag, which isn't set very stiff. I started looking into the issue, and maybe even called fish hawk, I can't remember. But, now I don't run a breakaway. Apparently the snubber can be used in place of the breakaway according to them, and fish hawk even sells their own for that purpose.

I had researched their breakaway before using it as well though, and look how that turned out.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
dry net
Species: cold water

Post by dry net »

Reelax wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:08 am I use the same break away for any ball size. I don’t like the new links they send without any cable spacer… don’t give much ledge protection with no cable.

Fish on!
Run the ball off a snubber
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Great idea to use a snubber in place of the cable. I e ordered a few and will try em Saturday;)

Fish on!
Matt B