Angler Concerns for Champlain Management Team Meeting

Share info on fishing Champlain.
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

Angler Concerns for Champlain Management Team Meeting

Post by popster »

In anticipation of the upcoming State of the Lake Fisheries Meeting, the facilitators have asked us, the LCU Anglers, to come up with a list of questions, suggestions and general observations concerning the Champlain fishery.

Please post them here or PM me with your concerns THIS WEEK and they will be passed on to the meeting Coordinators to address. This is our chance to be heard and responded to by those who manage our Lake Fisheries.
Bill
"POINTER"
bagman
Species: trout

Re: Angler Concerns for Champlain Management Team Meeting

Post by bagman »

TTT
Larmor
Species: Salmon

Post by Larmor »

My concerns are spiny water fleas and what can be done about them because summer fishing is a real pain.The low water problems which I think is part of the water flea problem.What is causing the dwindling salmon population and what can be done about it.Also the algae in the summer on the New York and Vermont boat ramps being cleaned up so people who pull their boats on don’t slip and fall pulling them on the trailer. This is a hazard as i have done this.It would only take the boat inspectors you have there about 10 min.to use a push broom each day to clean it up because I have done it.The repairs on these docks should be in a more timely manner not wait until someone complains or gets hurt. I know I have mentined the water levels but it’s really bad when my friend who has a bass boat loses the use of 3 launches when he needs only about 6” to 8” to launch.

Larry Morrissey
Last edited by Larmor on Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
dry net
Species: cold water

Post by dry net »

I 2nd the low water at the launches. Vermont has great access compared to neighboring states but it's no good if you cant float your boat.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

I don't think there should be any bigger concern that should be looked at than the lack of decent salmon fishing, especially in the Northern part of the Lake. There is a reason for it, and I think everyone is burying their collective heads in the sand on this one. I'm starting to fear that the abundance of Lake Trout, has cost the demise of our salmon fit, coupled with all the other things, birds , lampreys etc. No one at F and G will ever admit this I'm afraid.
bagman

Post by bagman »

C-Hawk brings up some excellent points. Lamprey wound rates on salmon this year are 5 per 100 fish. Lowest its ever been yet where are the salmon? Its my belief and many others that the lake trout numbers are way out of balance. If you look at the LCI weigh in numbers. Salmonoid weigh ins on the broad lake consisted of 93% lake trout Again where are the salmon? I believe our smolts are getting devastated after stocking . Whether you agree or not this meeting offers an excellent opportunity to voice your concerns.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

If you look at all the other large New England lakes, the salmon are suffering there too. The only thing we have in common with Winnipesaukee and Sebago, is the huge number of Lake Trout. I'm no biologist, but it is easy to compare. Sebago offers huge or no limits on Lakers. If Lakers aren't actually eating our salmon, they must be competing for the food supply.
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Post by Surprise »

I sent a PM to Bill but here are my questions for review:

My three part question is: Is there a Ratio of Bait to fish that is followed to determine stocking rate?
Should available food set the level of stocking taking into account the success of the lamprey program providing more mouths to feed ?
With alewifes being cyclical who is keeping track?

Second question:
Do the spiny water fleas impact the phytoplankton food for baitfish?
Fish On!
bagman

Post by bagman »

Hope everyone attends this zoom meeting