Value/use of outriggers?

Share info on fishing Champlain.
pfu
Species: Cold and warm species

Value/use of outriggers?

Post by pfu »

I purchased a 2000 Grady White Gulfstream 232 last July. Boat previously was located in Maryland (now on Lake Champlain – Vermont side) and included outrigger poles. Never thought about how I might use them for freshwater trolling and after not see much on YouTube other than saltwater videos thought why not ask the experts. Note I do have Canon downriggers mounted for when the fish go deep.

I have never had planer boards for early season trolling and had thought of making or purchasing some but after seeing the outrigger poles (like new condition) in my garage all winter I figure they should have some value. Has anyone used outrigger poles for topwater trolling on freshwater? Any best practices or advice I should consider?
finsntins
Species: salmon

Re: Value/use of outriggers?

Post by finsntins »

biggest disadvantage with outriggers compared to planer boards is you are obviously limited to the length of the rigger poles which i believe are usually around 18'.we run planer boards 50+ feet from the boat,if boat traffic allows and stack 3-4 lines per side for spring time fishing.if you usually only fish two people on the boat so you are lmited to 6 lines and only going to run 1 or 2 lines off the riggers,than they probably will work just fine for you.if i had the choice though,i would definetly rather have planer boards than riggers,just to be able to spread your baits out more and get them further away from the boat.
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

I agree with Finsntins. The benefits of boards are really two-fold: First, you get greater distance and thus more lines; and Second, you get greater distance so it's easier to scratch the shallows without the running the boat too shallow. Not to say that there might not be a place for outriggers, but I suspect it will be limited. Too often salmon are either drawn to the prop wash or need distance. They don't need a clean wakeless presentation like many saltwater fish where outriggers become more common.
drachma
Species: Salmon, Lake Trout

Post by drachma »

I lived in FL for a shot time before returning to New England and brought a pair of outriggers from my FL boat back with me. Never used them for the reasons finsntins and TUnamas mentioned. Being able to reach further out and run multiple lures far out weight outrigger poles. Although they do look cool, they didn't meet the needs on Champlain that I needed.

Michael
Controlled chaos
Species: what's biting

Post by Controlled chaos »

Out riggers only work on saltwater? Just curious y they wouldn’t work on freshwater the same?
Controlled chaos
Species: what's biting

Post by Controlled chaos »

I’d run outriggers if that’s what I had. Might be worth a try, never know..
All the best, controlled chaos
pfu
Species: Cold and warm species

Post by pfu »

Going to give them a try when the snow stops dropping!
Wdrnr
Species: Salmon Lakers, warm if needed

Post by Wdrnr »

I use outriggers when there’s just two on the boat. They work well when walleye fishing especially at nite. Easy to set up and use.