Westport Area Reports

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Hawkeye50
Species: Salmon

Westport Area Reports

Post by Hawkeye50 »

Been awful quiet lately any recent reports would be appreciated.Heading up this weekend from what I can tell fishing has been very slow.Plan to set riggers at 70' stack 2 rods at 50'-60' and run large size slide divers off both sides we'll see what happens
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Westport Area Reports

Post by Reelax »

Lightandvariable, Dreamcatcher and I will be Down there Sat morning 1st light...

Ch 68 for updates when the bell rings:)

Glad to hear your coming up Bob!

Fish on....

Always look back at the previous years pics to see what was working, where... and it was great fishing for browns last year too! These pics are all from Aug 10th... 2020
Attachments
F578F56D-9062-490E-9626-164F471583EC.jpeg
F578F56D-9062-490E-9626-164F471583EC.jpeg (193.64 KiB) Viewed 3429 times
076105EF-3E89-44FA-8602-53AEB03669DA.jpeg
076105EF-3E89-44FA-8602-53AEB03669DA.jpeg (148.77 KiB) Viewed 3429 times
57722BDF-2FF8-459B-A596-5B28715A47A3.jpeg
57722BDF-2FF8-459B-A596-5B28715A47A3.jpeg (159.83 KiB) Viewed 3429 times
Matt B
Hawkeye50
Species: Salmon

Post by Hawkeye50 »

Thanks for the info I'll let you guys know if we find them.Bearcat possibly joining me on Sunday
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Not sure how I feel about Jeff taking my deck spot on Reelax for Saturday. Wish I could've made it. Those browns ....!! Good luck!
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Post by Bearcat »

Fished out of Westport for three short trips this weekend, collectively less than five hours. Boated six dinks, one small Laker, one fat healthy Laker, and lost a really nice silver pig at the net. Not one lamprey. Tons of bait and fish on the screen, overall it’s still pretty decent, my friend landed a pretty nice fat silver from his boat as well. Sausage gravy did most of the work followed by blue and silver speedy shiner and crazy Ivan phantom. Temperature was between 90 feet and 75 feet depending on the day
568D3C60-9176-4323-972D-D9C3FBC57C30.jpeg
568D3C60-9176-4323-972D-D9C3FBC57C30.jpeg (239.02 KiB) Viewed 3138 times
. And there was no shortage of floating weeds, so keep an eye out.
Attachments
FFBF53F3-CDF6-4617-B229-5279BBA0A7B5.jpeg
FFBF53F3-CDF6-4617-B229-5279BBA0A7B5.jpeg (164.65 KiB) Viewed 3138 times
Fishracker17
Species: Trout/salmon

Post by Fishracker17 »

I went out of willsboro and did very well on Lakers, 60-85 down, and ran free sliders, I'll put up a report here after work!
Chazycuda
Species: Salmon, trout

Post by Chazycuda »

I went out fishing for salmon and Lakers I’m located in Chazy so start south of Lemotte isle 7am drop downrigger in @ 80 fow to 120’ have led core with multi split back, live shinners and copper moose look wobbler. I got 6 small mouth bass - 2 of the bigger 4.5 + 5.2 on led core and the largest one in 100fow downrigger at 80’ - strange? - lost the biggest SM guesstimated @ 6lbs at the net. I figured temp was too warm (only top water temp gauge) I headed further south in deeper 120 - 150 fow and some sign some bait but no hits, it started raining @ 12 kept at it till 3 was quiet. Trolled 2.0 mph bounce ball on sandy bottom I even made my own Davis rig out of 4 3” spoons 18” of leader between to represent a school no luck. I’m heading back up this weekend and I’m debating about pulling the boat out and trailering down to Westport and drop in down there to try for silvers or any trout family ( one of those browns would be nice) unless anyone has heard of them bitting up this way??? I’d be up for going through the gut to inland sea if any action over there.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Chazy, You should be able to catch Lakers at Cumberland Head, especially on the south side. After a south wind, water will be warm deep. Fish a day or two after a good north blow, and fish will be more active in the cooler water.
Chazycuda

Post by Chazycuda »

Thanks for the info c-hawk it’s appreciated, any thoughts on range of how deep should I be trying?
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

They can be any depth. I got some suspended at 90 over 160'. The next weekend they were on bottom in 65. All depends on wind changing the water temp . I don't think the rest of the lake is as prone to the temperature change as we are up North. When we have that hard 30 mph blow for a day or more, I've seen optimum temp,55, drop 40 feet in a day.
I would start at Cumberland in around 80, work my way out. Keep it close, then don't forget to check over 160 or more for suspended
Chazycuda

Post by Chazycuda »

C-hawk,
Thank you for the info, I plan to get out this weekend depending on the weather and I’ll give that area a try, thanks again for the tips and good luck to you and yours out there!
TruViking
Species: Those who thrive in Cold H20

Post by TruViking »

Hey "Chazycuda,"
We haven't met but I thought I would chime in. :roll: You mentioned the Inland Sea and I have been Fishing those grounds often over the past 5-6 weeks. Whether or not my info will be useful????????🎣
I don't have a spot that I consider my "home grounds" as I live in Burlington and unfortunately, those Silver, the Elusive and Cunningly Ruthless Monsters that we Covet, seem to have a major dislike for the neighborhood! Therefore, I find myself exploring the Lake in hopes of some major breakthrough that would bring me Fame and Celebrity status on the L.C.U!!!!!!! Well, that hasn't quite come to fruition(Not YET!!! :lol: )
Ok, I'll stop rambling now.....
I do have some ] line was vibrating from all of the commotion the school was producing!
I definitely have had some quality outings and not one trip(3-5 x a Week) have I not caught @ Least One Salmon! For the majority
of the last 6 weeks we were Catching them in 85-105 FOW @ 70'-77' down. A basic set-up with attractor's off the ball and line set 1' above and 21' behind. Also have had luck a bit up in the water column with Slide, Dipsy and Mini-Divers, Depth ranging 25-50ish feet, but most have been right @45'-47' down. For Leadcore, it's been 250'-300' with a 50'-90' Leader, and the usual suspects for Lures at the $Money$ end of the Line(eg. Sausage Gravy, C.I. Hot Hooker, YoZuri Pin, etc.)
I haven't had to travel far to find them either! Right off the 🐄CowBanks🐄 to Cedar Island has actually produced my best numbers but from what I hear, they are still sweeping 'em up all the way into Keelers Bay. :!: :D

My last outing was a bit different. I only have the Tech to read Temp. @ the Surface, but there was a 5° increase within two days! So, that clearly moved them around.
Wednesday, 8/11/2021: Lots of Bait @75'+. Marking Fish @ 77'-85' in approx. 100' FOW. In some spots, where it climbed up to 80', I was marking Fish and Bait snug to the Floor. On Wed., I caught 7 Salmon, One of which was a tiny little fella, 2 were Healthy 1-2 Year-Olds and the other Four were in the 5-7lb. Range. You could tell that they have been eating very healthily!!!!
The Yellow Perch became a nuisance toward late morning. They were all over the place! I dont think we had rod that didn't have one of those Lil' Bastards on it when we reeled in to check them!
One Great note, there were Zero Lamprey sightings or wounds. No Fleas and/or the Pesky Birds.
My Best time of the day has actually been from 7:30-9:30/10:00 am.(Although I start at sunrise)As I mentioned, I have been throwing out the Usual Supects for Lures(a

I have been making a conscious effort to try different and unfamiliar items!) Depending on Who, if anyone,is with me, I usually run a 4-5 Rod spread w/7' cheaters on the downrigger line's. The Trolling Speed I have found most effective is @ 2.3-2.7mph.
Quick Note: I had my very best and productive day Salmon on fishing on Lake Champlain @ the Inland Sea on July 4th weekend. I lost count at 15 fish but I believe it was 23 Salmon. It was a Perfect morning and amazing conditions. Many of the Salmon were hefty. Out of the two I actually weighed, 7lbs. 3oz. & 6lb11oz.
Thankfully all of the Contenders were able to go back for a swim!.I will find them next year but 2lbs heavier!

My apologies for the lengthy reply. I apparently have too much time on my hands! :roll: :x :roll:

I will be heading out to the Inland Sea, possibly tonight and tomorrow A.M........ If you head that way, I will be Available on VHF.
My Boat's Name: Lagathar

Good luck to you wherever you end up launching!Hope to see a report of some Chunky Salmon coming soon!

Best to All
Ej(TruViking)
Big Bear
Species: Cold water

Post by Big Bear »

TruViking wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:13 pm Hey "Chazycuda,"
We haven't met but I thought I would chime in. :roll: You mentioned the Inland Sea and I have been Fishing those grounds often over the past 5-6 weeks. Whether or not my info will be useful????????🎣
I don't have a spot that I consider my "home grounds" as I live in Burlington and unfortunately, those Silver, the Elusive and Cunningly Ruthless Monsters that we Covet, seem to have a major dislike for the neighborhood! Therefore, I find myself exploring the Lake in hopes of some major breakthrough that would bring me Fame and Celebrity status on the L.C.U!!!!!!! Well, that hasn't quite come to fruition(Not YET!!! :lol: )
Ok, I'll stop rambling now.....
I do have some ] line was vibrating from all of the commotion the school was producing!
I definitely have had some quality outings and not one trip(3-5 x a Week) have I not caught @ Least One Salmon! For the majority
of the last 6 weeks we were Catching them in 85-105 FOW @ 70'-77' down. A basic set-up with attractor's off the ball and line set 1' above and 21' behind. Also have had luck a bit up in the water column with Slide, Dipsy and Mini-Divers, Depth ranging 25-50ish feet, but most have been right @45'-47' down. For Leadcore, it's been 250'-300' with a 50'-90' Leader, and the usual suspects for Lures at the $Money$ end of the Line(eg. Sausage Gravy, C.I. Hot Hooker, YoZuri Pin, etc.)
I haven't had to travel far to find them either! Right off the 🐄CowBanks🐄 to Cedar Island has actually produced my best numbers but from what I hear, they are still sweeping 'em up all the way into Keelers Bay. :!: :D

My last outing was a bit different. I only have the Tech to read Temp. @ the Surface, but there was a 5° increase within two days! So, that clearly moved them around.
Wednesday, 8/11/2021: Lots of Bait @75'+. Marking Fish @ 77'-85' in approx. 100' FOW. In some spots, where it climbed up to 80', I was marking Fish and Bait snug to the Floor. On Wed., I caught 7 Salmon, One of which was a tiny little fella, 2 were Healthy 1-2 Year-Olds and the other Four were in the 5-7lb. Range. You could tell that they have been eating very healthily!!!!
The Yellow Perch became a nuisance toward late morning. They were all over the place! I dont think we had rod that didn't have one of those Lil' Bastards on it when we reeled in to check them!
One Great note, there were Zero Lamprey sightings or wounds. No Fleas and/or the Pesky Birds.
My Best time of the day has actually been from 7:30-9:30/10:00 am.(Although I start at sunrise)As I mentioned, I have been throwing out the Usual Supects for Lures(a

I have been making a conscious effort to try different and unfamiliar items!) Depending on Who, if anyone,is with me, I usually run a 4-5 Rod spread w/7' cheaters on the downrigger line's. The Trolling Speed I have found most effective is @ 2.3-2.7mph.
Quick Note: I had my very best and productive day Salmon on fishing on Lake Champlain @ the Inland Sea on July 4th weekend. I lost count at 15 fish but I believe it was 23 Salmon. It was a Perfect morning and amazing conditions. Many of the Salmon were hefty. Out of the two I actually weighed, 7lbs. 3oz. & 6lb11oz.
Thankfully all of the Contenders were able to go back for a swim!.I will find them next year but 2lbs heavier!

My apologies for the lengthy reply. I apparently have too much time on my hands! :roll: :x :roll:

I will be heading out to the Inland Sea, possibly tonight and tomorrow A.M........ If you head that way, I will be Available on VHF.
My Boat's Name: Lagathar

Good luck to you wherever you end up launching!Hope to see a report of some Chunky Salmon coming soon!

Best to All
Ej(TruViking)

Thank you for all this info, Ej. I am in Malletts Bay and not much bite for salmon out on colchester reef so I am thinking of heading up to the IS through the Gut maybe Sunday. It’s been a while since I have been there and not 100% sure if where the Cow Banks are. Is this the ledge North ok sandbar along Georgia Shore? Thank you.
Chazycuda

Post by Chazycuda »

Hi Truviking,

A lot of great information in you post very impressive, I’m feeling a little more optimistic for a silver, My options are to go out tomorrow (Sunday)am till 10 or take Monday off and spend most of the day so I’ll likely go out on Monday I’ll cut through the gut to IS and troll south in the depths you mentioned go further south and loop around cedar island and keelers Bay Area, I have a question Where about is cows bank? I tried to google and found some posts but no map location. Anyway I have a downrigger and don’t have an attractant blade but I kind of made my own with 4 - 3” spoons 16” apart with hooks only on the last 2.(mini school) I typically run 8 colors on led core but my leader is only 10’ long so may add to that. I don’t have the lures you mention that I need to invest in but have multi split back rebels with great action and success with Lakers and salmon and also live minnows that I double hook improve success.
Thanks again for your post and info also wanted to ask how you did on Saturday? My guess is you did very well!
Thanks again
chuck
TruViking
Species: Those who thrive in Cold H20

Post by TruViking »

Hey Fellas,
I was happy to reply, but Trust: I've had my Fair Share of outings where the Salmon seem allergic to my Boat! :lol:
Sounds like you both have it dialed in with your set-ups .
The "Mini-School" tactic is intriguing! :idea: Bringing the Salt water vibe into the Fresh H²O!
As far as the Cowbanks: It is the immediate parcel right out of Apple Bay Launch. I am not sure of the Origin of the name "Cowbanks," however.I am sure someone has that Answer! :idea: If so, please chime in. It's always been a source of wonder for me!
Also......
I hear you about The Colchester Reef! I have seemingly combed every Nautical inch of that area! From what I have heard, from Numerous people, is it used to be a Hot Spot. Very strange how that has declined as it is definitely a Solid Fishing Ground, with the mouths of both the Winooski and Lamoiille close by and some great structure and movement all the way from Outer Mallets- The Reef, etc.

Furthermore...... a quick shout-out:

I have been fishing for my whole Life and consider myself pretty good at finding and catching Fish. Then I came upon the "Lake Champlain United" Website, and things changed. I now approach L.L. Salmon Fishing as a [i]Student[/i] even more than before
There are some very Knowledgeable, Friendly and extremely Talented, Fisher-People on this site :| 🎣 I have coined them as the "[b]Professors[/b]." I attribute most of my successes that I have had recently Fishing Our Great Lake to those who relay so much info and advice. It's remarkable how some of the smallest details can change a Complete day of Fishing! From Miniscule Measurement changes, approaches, tactics and locations.... The Professors really do give us All a better chance at finding and procuring those elusive Silver!!!! So, if I can contribute any information at all, I am more than happy to pass it along! A Professor Internship of sorts!! :lol:

I wish you both good luck.

(Also, I am also always up to meeting up at a Launch and putting Two Boats on the same Hunting Grounds!)

I'm sure we will be seeing some posts of your recent successes🐋🐟🎣 soon.

Safe Travels!

Best,
Ej(TruViking)