Otter boat

Smelt_seeker
Species: Salmon

Otter boat

Post by Smelt_seeker »

Last year i mounted a mast and ran supper ski planner boards, it was a awesome change from the mini inlines. They are fun but big boards are fun too. I have always heard otter boats are the best don't pull hard like twin boards, ride better and blah blah. I have been looking into them and noticed a few things single keel/ double keep. Not sure whats new or old? And i saw a few posts in a Great Lakes group about them diving under and braking off. What have people noticed with them? Are they that great!? Worth the money?
Kyle smith
ReelInvestment
Species: Salmon/lake trout

Re: Otter boat

Post by ReelInvestment »

I love my otter boats. They are only single keel but I think double would pull out to the side even better! I have noticed that they do way better than a traditional twin board in choppy water. I’ve never sunk an otter boat but I have sunk the twins. Worth every penny in my book, they can be found used too!!! Good luck out there!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

ReelInvestment wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:15 pm I love my otter boats. They are only single keel but I think double would pull out to the side even better! I have noticed that they do way better than a traditional twin board in choppy water. I’ve never sunk an otter boat but I have sunk the twins. Worth every penny in my book, they can be found used too!!! Good luck out there!
X2...
Matt B
yankee roller
Species: 'locks

Post by yankee roller »

Double keels pull harder and support double coppers or long coppers (400’ +). If using double keels, two weighted keels will sink board if it breaks off unless you modify flotation. The double keel with one weighted and one unweighted float.

If using double keels, they will dive in rough water. To avoid break off, keep planer line fresh, use planer snubber, and label board with name number in case they break off and you lose track.
Smelt_seeker

Post by Smelt_seeker »

I see the double keel is and add on. Is it worth adding? dose it make much difference? I dont pull cooper or anything like it, one day i hope to make it to big o for big silvers but not often. mostly 5 color lead and under. Is one weighted keel required for doubles. Is there any different in old ones if someone has a older set vs buying new? Quality ect. Lots of questions :shock:
Kyle smith
dry net
Species: cold water

Post by dry net »

Go on LOU website and ask about otter boat mods. A few of the charters are sure to jump on and answer your questions. Good luck!!
jusgrinnin
Species: warm&cold

Post by jusgrinnin »

Smelt_seeker wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:03 am I see the double keel is and add on. Is it worth adding? dose it make much difference? I dont pull cooper or anything like it, one day i hope to make it to big o for big silvers but not often. mostly 5 color lead and under. Is one weighted keel required for doubles. Is there any different in old ones if someone has a older set vs buying new? Quality ect. Lots of questions :shock:
I have the full weighted keel and pull 6 colors of lead easily, I don't think the full weight is available anymore, the knot on the bridle is very important as it position will determine how it pulls.
yankee roller
Species: 'locks

Post by yankee roller »

smelt_seeker.... I fish Lake O frequently and use otter boats with weighted double keels so providing experienced feedback.

The advantage of a double keel is the ability to pull and support the use of two copper lines off one otter boat. As I stated in previous response, two weighted keels will slowly sink the board so you need a modification and should have snubber while using quality line.

Having said that... there really is no need to run a double keel otter boat on Champlain. You won't be pulling multiple deep copper lines nor will you pull large flasher/meat rigs on copper lines. Plus the simple fact that Champlain only supports two rods per person.. so less need to get junk lines away from the boat. A single keel otter boat can easily support multiple flat lines, multiple short cores, or a mix of flat lines and short cores.

Double full weighted keels serve a specific purpose not needed on Champlain.
Smelt_seeker

Post by Smelt_seeker »

yankee roller wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:48 am smelt_seeker.... I fish Lake O frequently and use otter boats with weighted double keels so providing experienced feedback.

The advantage of a double keel is the ability to pull and support the use of two copper lines off one otter boat. As I stated in previous response, two weighted keels will slowly sink the board so you need a modification and should have snubber while using quality line.

Having said that... there really is no need to run a double keel otter boat on Champlain. You won't be pulling multiple deep copper lines nor will you pull large flasher/meat rigs on copper lines. Plus the simple fact that Champlain only supports two rods per person.. so less need to get junk lines away from the boat. A single keel otter boat can easily support multiple flat lines, multiple short cores, or a mix of flat lines and short cores.

Double full weighted keels serve a specific purpose not needed on Champlain.
Thanks so much! I get what your saying now. Ill keep and eye out for a bit before i buy new. I hope to be able to make it over to lady o for spring browns. My dream is to catch king too!
Kyle smith