Fleas on Diver Rods and Diver Rod choices

digitroll (ron)

Fleas on Diver Rods and Diver Rod choices

Post by digitroll (ron) »

This subject comes up every year. Braid is brutal for Fleas. It's a big Flea collector sponge. I recommend 30 lb Mason wire to replace your 50 lb braid Power Pro. It is generally Flea Free unless the Fleas are super bad and getting on the rigger cable and releases. You can use #8 barrel swivel and tie in a 250 ft section of wire into an existing reel. The #8 barrel swivel will pass thru the level wind thingy.

Two inexpensive rods come to mind: Daiwa Heartland and Okuma 9.5 ft Dipsy rods. I like the long reach around my riggers and the stiffness of them to reach out far from the riggers without bending in half like shorter rods. These are $40 rods. These rods can take a ton of abuse!
TUnamas

Re: Fleas on Diver Rods and Diver Rod choices

Post by TUnamas »

Ron - To run wire are you using roller guides? Stainless? Or regular rods just suffering? I used wire once about 5 years ago for stripers and blues off Connnecticut on a Charter. Otherwise, wire is a new game for me. I appreciate that knots and line kinks are carefully considered, but how does wire line translate to our usual Champlain rod deployment?
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Good info Ron... wondering about roller guide requirement too...?
Matt B
dry net
Species: cold water

Post by dry net »

If you use 19 strand no twillie or rollers are needed.
JTM203SOUTH
Species: SALMON

Post by JTM203SOUTH »

" MONEL " is softer than steel and doesn't kink as easily. I use it with a "twilly" tip.

Jack
1999 Starcraft Superfisherman 196 "High Hopes "
1996 Starcraft Superfisherman 170 " High Hopes Too"
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Twilly tips are inexpensive ($8) and replace your rod tip by removing the stock one with a lighter to loosen the glue and remove and reglue the Twilly on with Superglue. I don't believe you can buy roller guide dipsy rods anymore. I have one if someone wants to purchase it. Never used it new condition $40. The regular dipsy rods by Okuma and Daiwa Heartland work great!

Wire takes a little more care when you let it out and leaving the clicker on works well when it's in the rod holder letting out a dispy. Takes a little getting used to and isn't as user friendly as braid. Some of the new steel lines as mentioned sound better. The Torpedo steel line can be found on Fish USA and well as the Twilly Tips and Mason stainless wire in 30 lb.

I like the Mason wire.