Perch and Other Warm-Water Shenanigans

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
the_doctor
Species: Whatever's biting

Perch and Other Warm-Water Shenanigans

Post by the_doctor »

Quick post...finally got out a few times.
We were hammering perch for a few weeks there in about 30-40FOW -- every single drop a perch -- then bang, it was over this week. I mean dead. Marking nothing, caught one small perch drifting over an hour.
Very few white perch this spring/early summer compared to last.
Where do perch go in summer? Any thoughts?

Perch picture doesn't do it justice but the top row are all 11 or 12". I found a few baby perch in their guts! I keep all sizes all pulling them up from deep water because their air bladders pop out and I don't think they'll make it.

Then came this week. Managed nothing Sunday except a big sheepshead, my first in two years. Wow, can those things fight. Actually I sort of wish I didn't hook the guy on my little perch rod. He was tuckered out after the battle and I wish I had a more gentle net (rubber) to land him. But he swam off OK.
Saw another sheepshead closer to shore the next day, not sure if it was my friend from the day before.

I also saw big turkey vultures eating a dead pike on shore the other day. They had the skeleton picked 100% clean in a few hours. Sorry, no pic, wish I got one.

Haven't been on the water or on the forum as much as I'd like lately. Hope everyone's doing well. Tight lines!
perch.jpg
perch.jpg (172.56 KiB) Viewed 876 times
cannibalism.jpg
cannibalism.jpg (165.58 KiB) Viewed 876 times
sheepshead.jpg
sheepshead.jpg (131.1 KiB) Viewed 876 times
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Re: Perch and Other Warm-Water Shenanigans

Post by Detritus »

I wouldn't worry about the Sheephead. We catch those things all of the time down where we are, 6-7 lbs up to the biggest being 22lbs. They thrive in some of the warmest dirtiest water in the lake. It seems like they fight, fight, fight, then just give up. But always swim away happy and healthy. We've never had one killed by exhaustion, or any other way for that matter.

The pike skeleton scene sounds cool. I always tell people that one of the best ways to experience nature is to go fishing. You don't have to catch anything at all. Yesterday my family was at the beach here in Maine, and my wife commented how she hadn't seen any seals. Well, Liam and I were there, and we saw two huge harbor seals, a Mola Mola, a whole bunch of diving ducks, a big unknown fish, (probably a striper) the striper Liam caught, etc. Same beach, same time. Today we saw more of the same, caught a bunch of mackerel, saw another harbor seal eating a huge striper lying on his back in the water like a big fat guy on his couch with a turkey leg, haha. Big guy looked pretty content from where we were standing.

Maybe some natural hunter gatherer thing turns on in your subconscious when you fish making you notice things more, who knows.

Cool report, fun to read.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

sometimes the perch move to where there is alot of forage. structure helps as they feed on zebra mussells also. i always did well but when it gets close to august the bite slows and they can be a tough catch. drum love catching them non stop fighting. the perch are still around just need more patience
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

Detritus wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:20 pm I wouldn't worry about the Sheephead. We catch those things all of the time down where we are, 6-7 lbs up to the biggest being 22lbs. They thrive in some of the warmest dirtiest water in the lake. It seems like they fight, fight, fight, then just give up. But always swim away happy and healthy. We've never had one killed by exhaustion, or any other way for that matter.

The pike skeleton scene sounds cool. I always tell people that one of the best ways to experience nature is to go fishing. You don't have to catch anything at all. Yesterday my family was at the beach here in Maine, and my wife commented how she hadn't seen any seals. Well, Liam and I were there, and we saw two huge harbor seals, a Mola Mola, a whole bunch of diving ducks, a big unknown fish, (probably a striper) the striper Liam caught, etc. Same beach, same time. Today we saw more of the same, caught a bunch of mackerel, saw another harbor seal eating a huge striper lying on his back in the water like a big fat guy on his couch with a turkey leg, haha. Big guy looked pretty content from where we were standing.

Maybe some natural hunter gatherer thing turns on in your subconscious when you fish making you notice things more, who knows.

Cool report, fun to read.
jack hope your having fun in maine. im heading to the red gate tommorrow morning its been awhile,
the_doctor
Species: Whatever's biting

Post by the_doctor »

Detritus wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:20 pm we saw two huge harbor seals, a Mola Mola, a whole bunch of diving ducks, a big unknown fish, (probably a striper) the striper Liam caught, etc.
Secretly I am not a native Vermonter, though I've lived here since I was 19. I grew up near Cape Cod. Used to love to drive down to the water on a dreary fall/winter day and look for the seals on the rocks.
Never got too into striper fishing, I was more likely to be catching dink largemouth and pickerel on one of a million sandy little kettle ponds down there. Too young to know anything...
Enjoy your trip. I love Champlain but I miss the ocean. Enjoy it!!!