Diver setup

Papatom
Species: Salmon

Diver setup

Post by Papatom »

My vision of a champlain slide diver set up.

9 ft medium action rod.
Size 30 level wind line counter reel.
Filled full backed by mono.
Braid line
Fluro leader
Large slide diver.

Anyone have any suggested specifics?

THANKS
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Diver setup

Post by Reelax »

Sounds like you nailed the setup.. If your using a slide diver, try 2.5 setting on the weight to get it out away from the boat outside your rigger lines...

I usually run 12-17 pulls back (30 to 50 feet back from diver), lock in the diver and set it out from there. You can expect a little less than 1/3rd for the dive rate. IE: 100 feet of line will be down about 30-32ft depending on speed and weight setting...

Good luck, there are days where 2 slide divers outfire 4 riggers... Cant explain why, but some days they just diver sets better...

Oh ya,... and when it fires... Everyone on the boat is supposed to yell "SlideDiver, SlideDiver".. I picked that up from Capt Thorney ;)

With a added ring and weight kit, these things can diver over 60ft... amazing tools....

Good luck and let us know how you do...
Matt B
Papatom
Species: Salmon

Post by Papatom »

Thanks
TruViking
Species: Those who thrive in Cold H20

Post by TruViking »

My Personal History suggests that if Reelax says something, follow it to a tee and you will b on the fish!!!! :)

For what it's worth, I also had luck with similar set-up's. I have also caught Salmon with the Diver just 10-15' in front of a Flasher or Dodger, with the lure 3-5' behind that. I have barrells and barrel swivels at each point besides the lure. Also, In my trials, I have found that the clear slide diver doesn't produce as well as the black one and the yellow dipsy diver produces best for me.

Just my experiences
Good Luck out there!

Best
Ej(TruViking)