Bass fishing North 9/23

Check and share here for the latest Bass fishing reports.
rvq
Species: bass

Bass fishing North 9/23

Post by rvq »

Warm, light wind and no touristas= good time for fishing. The morning was hot (shorts, sandals and t-shirt.) giving way to a cloudy and more comfortable afternoon. Launched out of St. Albans Bay launch (only five other rigs in the lot). I did my usual stay close to home port tour staying within about 3 miles from the launch. Fished from 9:30-5:30 covering 5 different locations, all but one in search of small mouth. Saw water temps 67-69. Water clarity good, but a lot of algae floating around. Boated 24 keepers ,but one a small mouth. Even though water temps haven't dropped that much, the fish seem to be in much shallower water than just a week ago. I followed one shoreline stretch in 8-10 fow and caught 3 fish. I reversed course and headed back to where I started, but in 4-5 fow. This time I caught 12. Small rocky points seemed to be attracting the fish. A favorite offshore hump was the next best stop. Interestingly here the deeper edges (8-10') around the hump (4-5') were the most productive. Only one stop didn't produce and that was a large mouth spot that had been productive lately. Spent about 20 minutes with no bites and moved.
In the shallower water the wacky rigged Senko was a great producer. In the deeper water the drop shot with X Zone slammers and a shaky head with a Yum Gonzo Grub were more effective than the Senko. I also tried a football head jig rigged with a Sweet Beaver with no result. Also tried a Chatterbait with a Zoom Fluke as a trailer with no takers.
Most fish in the 2-2.75 range.

Pardon my lack of skill at picture taking. Largest of the day 3.5 lb SM

Looking to get out again soon.

Bob
Champlainbaits
Species: Bass - Pike - Bowfin

Re: Bass fishing North 9/23

Post by Champlainbaits »

Nice fat smallie. I've been noticing the the "shallow" thing since right before the divisionals also. Haven't been out as much as I would like so it's nice to get to enjoy living vicariously with your reports
For some people it's "one more drink" or "one more bet" for me the lie is "just one more cast" :)
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Sounds fun Bob...
Oh-nothing wrong with that pic...nice Smallie!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
BasscatTim
Species: Bass

Post by BasscatTim »

Nice smallie and nice detailed report. Makes me wish I was there!
Maybe I will get back there one more time this year.
woz
Species: bass

Post by woz »

Nice looking fish!
bow65lb
Species: Bass

Post by bow65lb »

Nice report and nice fish...
Brian
Species: fin fish

Post by Brian »

Good report Bob. I like the Gonzo grub too.
Got bass thumb?