Frostbite shore fishing

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: Frostbite shore fishing

Post by fishy1 »

the_doctor wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:33 pm Matt, do you tie those Krocs on directly, or with a swivel? Do you use the split ring? I thought you said once you tie direct to the spoon but I can't remember.
Also, ever try a trailer hook to help with short strikes/ misses?
Like this: https://www.chasintailtv.com/articles/d ... iler-hook
Great to see the shore reports are back!

IMG_1678.jpg
i tie direct on all my lures done away with swivels years ago and tested them 2 years ago with the krocs and honeybee casting lures. the swivels keep the lures up in the water column and you cant keep them the depth you want them. also you dont get the same action with the swivels. my thoughts looking at the swivels coming in are that swivel is out of place and the fish can see that as well as i can watching it come in. i do a lot of different things when casting from shore especially when fish arnt aggresssive and i have to keep the lure in the depths i want it to be. and yes i have used the trailer hooks and they seem to work okay but im not really a fan of it . probably in some instances it would come in handy but not that often. the more hooks the more problems. going to warm up and hope to be getting out this week and next week maybe lake ontario for shore fishing for browns cohos and steeleheads. maybe sometime we can hook up there is more to casting lures then most fisherman ever would realize.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Heading to lake ontario next Monday for shore fishing can't wait
finsntins
Species: salmon

Post by finsntins »

good luck matt,ill be there friday through tuesday,give me a shout!!!!
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

finsntins wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:43 pm good luck matt,ill be there friday through tuesday,give me a shout!!!!
Sent you a pm
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Awesome Matt! This is really inspiring. I'm getting excited to switch gears to open water!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

heading to the big o monday im hoping for the best never went this early getting good reports though.
tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Post by tmcaul »

Shore fishing? Or is Jeremy* going to take you out?

Great to see you getting back in action whether it's on the water or from the shore.

*I think that's the name of the forum member who lives near Lake Ontario (the "big o").
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

tmcaul wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:23 am Shore fishing? Or is Jeremy* going to take you out?

Great to see you getting back in action whether it's on the water or from the shore.

*I think that's the name of the forum member who lives near Lake Ontario (the "big o").
How you doing tom. His name is Jason and I'll be shore fishing going fish selkirk state park and might hook up Tuesday with a friend who lives in sandy creek and shore fish sandy pond. Dont think I'm ready for a boat yet according to my oncologist. Keep in touch and let's hook up.