Interesting story from Maine....

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: Interesting story from Maine....

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Sad to read some people are acting so irresponsible.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

I wonder if fish reseller stores were allowed to sell properly handled lake trout to the public and the (trash fish - perch :o :? :x ), if that might be an alternative to encouraging waste when so many people are going hungry.

As this played out it was disgusting
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

This was a result of an overabundance of Lakers. No limit on fish 26 and under. While it is a terrible waste of food, it may not be that bad for salmon. Sebago is the original wild salmon lake and it would be a shame to see the destruction of that fishery.
Are we headed in the same direction? At least Maine biologists admit there is a problem.
dry net
Species: cold water

Post by dry net »

Maine has been trying to reduce the population of laketrout in that lake for years. I'm not sure how else they could do it? In NH some towns are having rock bass tournaments to rid their lakes of unwanted fish. The only difference is those towns are throwing the cull into the trash. While I agree the optics aren't the best the result is what fish and game wanted.
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

Maine has a couple of weird fish and game rules. One for example, is, you are required to kill every Northern Pike you catch. They say they are an invasive species to the state.

From what I've read, you probably won't get into trouble for releasing one, but, they'd rather you killed them all. I myself have never caught a northern in Maine. If I did catch one, pike for dinner.

I also heard there is no hunting on Sunday's? Haven't looked that one up at all, don't know if it's true.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Detritus wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:33 pm Maine has a couple of weird fish and game rules. One for example, is, you are required to kill every Northern Pike you catch. They say they are an invasive species to the state.

From what I've read, you probably won't get into trouble for releasing one, but, they'd rather you killed them all. I myself have never caught a northern in Maine. If I did catch one, pike for dinner.

I also heard there is no hunting on Sunday's? Haven't looked that one up at all, don't know if it's true.
I don't know about pike in the rest of the state, but the Belgrade Lakes were managed for trophy Pike, I believe. When I first fished Moosehead in the late 70's, you were required to kill any bass caught. It didn't work. By 2000 or so I was catching 6 lb small mouth with some regularity. Fun stuff on a flyrod trolling for salmon, but dissapointing not being a salmon. Now they have bass tournaments.
And yes no Sunday hunting, reason being, they want landowners to have one day a week to use their land without worrying about hunters. Same here in Mass, though I think more if a blue law thing here.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

C-Hawk wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:24 pm This was a result of an overabundance of Lakers. No limit on fish 26 and under. While it is a terrible waste of food, it may not be that bad for salmon. Sebago is the original wild salmon lake and it would be a shame to see the destruction of that fishery.
Are we headed in the same direction? At least Maine biologists admit there is a problem.
Has this limit been tried or suggested for Champlain?
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

tamiron wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:57 pm
C-Hawk wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:24 pm This was a result of an overabundance of Lakers. No limit on fish 26 and under. While it is a terrible waste of food, it may not be that bad for salmon. Sebago is the original wild salmon lake and it would be a shame to see the destruction of that fishery.
Has this limit been tried or suggested for Champlain?
I'm doubtful
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
JDK
Species: Togue

Post by JDK »

Detritus wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:33 pm Maine has a couple of weird fish and game rules. One for example, is, you are required to kill every Northern Pike you catch. They say they are an invasive species to the state.

Part of the bold part about killing pike (or muskie) is incorrect. In Maine, any fish that is going to be kept has to be killed immediately. You can release pike if you so desire. Pike are considered an invasive species.

There is no management of pike (or muskie) in Maine.
the_doctor
Species: Whatever's biting

Post by the_doctor »

Pretty sick.
dry net wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:39 pm Maine has been trying to reduce the population of laketrout in that lake for years. I'm not sure how else they could do it? In NH some towns are having rock bass tournaments to rid their lakes of unwanted fish. The only difference is those towns are throwing the cull into the trash. While I agree the optics aren't the best the result is what fish and game wanted.
True they are trying to reduce the laker population, but if you read the full article:
Adding to the dismay that many felt: Derby officials were ready and willing to cut up and process any excess lake trout that were turned in, and planned to donate the meat to food pantries so the fish would be utilized.
Sickening.
dry net
Species: cold water

Post by dry net »

Thanks, I did read the whole article and do not condone the wasting of anything. Seems to many people today are eager to condemn one another. Is it better to chemically reclaim a lake? Tight lines and all the best, Matt
drachma
Species: Salmon, Lake Trout

Post by drachma »

I moved to Southern Maine late Summer 2017 and do troll Sebago. Sadly the story is true and many in ME think Lake Trout need better control to allow the salmon more of a chance of growing larger. In a case like this it unfortunately gives many fishermen a bad name.

The lakers and salmon on Sebago are much smaller compared to the ones for many years I caught in Champlain. I do miss Champlain and try to get over to you guys when I can. Average size salmon in Sebago are what on Champlain we use to call "cookie cutter" size. Lakers are slim and smaller too. A 5# salmon in Sebago is huge. That's the same for a laker too. I'm not sure what the ME Dept of Wildlife can do about this but it'd be great to see the Sebago Salmon (same species that Champlain got it's salmon from) have a chance to grow into what VT loves.

BTW-Salmon trollers in ME still historically "go to" is trolling dead smelt like when I was a kid. I still prefer "Crazy Ivan". You rule Pat and Todd. Send some "testers" over this way for Sebago.

Michael
EagleCrag
Species: Trout/Salmon

Post by EagleCrag »

In Yellowstone Lake (in the Natn'l Park) Lake Trout are an invasive species and were well on their way to wiping out native Cutthroats before biologists intervened. I believe the biologists put radio transmitters in Lake Trout which enabled them to identify what locations they were using for spawning. They then put out gill nets to remove them and this has been fairly successful in keeping the numbers at bay with the Cutthroats staging a comeback.
I don't fish Lake Champlain much, but from what I've read here and elsewhere about the increase in Lake Trout numbers and the decline of Salmon, I think the Lakers are eating a great deal of Salmon.

I also don't understand the unlimited creel limit on Lakers 26" and under. I'm guessing those are supposed to be the prime breeders? Larger Lake Trout will eat some pretty big salmon and they live for 50 years or more.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

drachma wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:44 am I moved to Southern Maine late Summer 2017 and do troll Sebago. Sadly the story is true and many in ME think Lake Trout need better control to allow the salmon more of a chance of growing larger. In a case like this it unfortunately gives many fishermen a bad name.

The lakers and salmon on Sebago are much smaller compared to the ones for many years I caught in Champlain. I do miss Champlain and try to get over to you guys when I can. Average size salmon in Sebago are what on Champlain we use to call "cookie cutter" size. Lakers are slim and smaller too. A 5# salmon in Sebago is huge. That's the same for a laker too. I'm not sure what the ME Dept of Wildlife can do about this but it'd be great to see the Sebago Salmon (same species that Champlain got it's salmon from) have a chance to grow into what VT loves.

BTW-Salmon trollers in ME still historically "go to" is trolling dead smelt like when I was a kid. I still prefer "Crazy Ivan". You rule Pat and Todd. Send some "testers" over this way for Sebago.

Michael

Great to hear the Maine perspective from a resident Mike. Hope all is well up there....

Miss ya on Lake Champlain...
Matt B