Lake trout party

Check and share here for the latest ice fishing reports!
Fishdawg
Species: Salmon

Lake trout party

Post by Fishdawg »

Headed onto the ice at the Champlain Bridge looking to jig for lake trout. Met Fishy1 at the launch with a crew. We followed them out toward the green can and set up. Caught a monster perch but were seeing little on the graph. We decided to try a bit more north. We could see a big pressure ridge and decided to head that way toward a bit of a trough we could see on navionics. Packed up and headed there and got reset up. We right away were seeing fish and they seemed to like the bait. We had some amazing action in about 30’ of water. Catching 27 lakers thru our 2 holes. I’m not normally a laker guy, but with action like that on a 30” jigging rod was pretty fun. Nice weather and good fish action made for a fine day on the lake. I have to thank my guide, Jesse for showing me the ropes!
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: Lake trout party

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks for your report Steve.
Glad to see you got lots of fun catching a bunch of lakers on an ice rod.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Wow jigging lakers thru a hole!!! You guys have got it goin!

Thanks for the update Steve... how far north does the ice go??
Matt B
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

good to meet you fish dawg and your partner. we had fun i had to stay inside all day because it was real slippery and the guys would let me come out. im glad you got into them how was that pressure crack? the boys did very well and i caught some nice perch. had some big lakers chasing my lure with grubs on it right under the ice what a fun time that was. they seem to just come out of nowhere and they can fly. were the lakers puking up smelt? take care hope we have a shootout this year
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Reelax wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:07 pm Wow jigging lakers thru a hole!!! You guys have got it goin!

Not sure if I'm correct or not but this pic from Feb 4 looks like it's just south of Barber point?

https://www.weather.gov/btv/recreation
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

It's froze all the way to westport now westport is open water and north towards diamond island is iced in
Boatless in BTV
Species: Anything that bites

Post by Boatless in BTV »

raz wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:01 am
Reelax wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:07 pm Wow jigging lakers thru a hole!!! You guys have got it goin!

Not sure if I'm correct or not but this pic from Feb 4 looks like it's just south of Barber point?
The weather.gov Lake Champlain ice view isn't updated very often these days. If you want a more up-to-date view. You can you can use EODSIS Worldview (https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov) for daily updates.

The most recent clear view is from February 17th (https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov/?v ... 3A03%3A15Z). It looks the northern-most ice is around the mouth of Otter Creek, but as Fishy1 pointed out, Northwest Bay is still open.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks for letting us know about the nasa.gov site.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)