Mid January Troll and Cookout

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Mid January Troll and Cookout

Post by Detritus »

The crew of the Country Angler rolled out of our beds today about 5:30. No breakfast on the grill menu, so we stopped for some donuts, and the boys made their usual hot chocolates to bring with them, and I had coffee.

We launched out of converse about 7:45 or so, and the first line was in the water about 8. It looks like somebody has shoveled the ramp, and it was well sanded. Thanks to whoever was responsible for that. It was pretty slow for us after the first lost laker before we finished setting lines.

The forecast was right on the money today, wind about 10 mph out of the north west. Waves were about 2 feet between Thompson's, and Split Rock. Water temperature 39℉ at the surface. Quite rolley for us, as we were trolling about exactly parralell to them, but we hung with it, it case it would produce some fish. It didn't.

Lost 3 more fish after we got going again on the new York side, which put us at 0-4. What is going on. We heard Dilly worm come over the radio, announcing his first catch of the day, Wed probably been out there an hour, still no fish in the boat.

Finally Brody reeled in his first fish of 2021.

IMAG1455.jpg
IMAG1455.jpg (79.67 KiB) Viewed 1340 times

Pretty nice little laker.

That was the fish that got us going I guess, because after that it was pretty steady action for us the rest of the day.

Liam got a nice salmon, to make that 2 weeks in a row with boated salmon, after missing out new year's day, after a good 5-6 week stretch of at least one boated per trip.

IMAG1458.jpg
IMAG1458.jpg (98.71 KiB) Viewed 1340 times

Then Brody had a first. I had written about statistics a few weeks back, and a few firsts happened again for the boat today. Brody had his first double on 1 rod today.

IMAG1456.jpg
IMAG1456.jpg (61.58 KiB) Viewed 1340 times

It was also our first triple double on single rods in one trip, but two fish of those jumped off before they were boated. Also, we had 23 fish on today, a record, but didn't break the boating record of 17. Final count was 16 for 23, 2 salmon boated.

Here's Brody's first salmon of 2021.

IMAG1460.jpg
IMAG1460.jpg (102.83 KiB) Viewed 1340 times

Speaking of salmon, if you find this rock, you have found where we have caught a lot of salmon this fall. In fact, almost all of them.

IMAG1469.jpg
IMAG1469.jpg (102.3 KiB) Viewed 1340 times

Cooked some nice food out there, veggie corn dogs for Brody, and steak tips for Liam and I. My wife marinated the meat in her maple teriyaki thing she does last night. Give this horseradish dip a try sometime too.

IMAG1465.jpg
IMAG1465.jpg (143.25 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
IMAG1466.jpg
IMAG1466.jpg (101.75 KiB) Viewed 1340 times

Most fish came off of sliding cheaters today. Didn't matter where they were, on the deep riggers, 90-120 down, or the shallow riggers, 38-45 feet down. Fish were hitting the cheaters halfway to the ball. We had a few fish come on 2-3 colors of lead as well. Red was the best color today, small spoons, and the purple challenger jointed stick bait had a few hits. Got our first fish on the needlefish my friend Chris from work gave us, and a DB smelt.

By the way, here's the lure that caught Liam's monster whitefish back in September. I've been meaning to post it forever, and today, it caught us a fish serving as a cheater. Jim Dattillio gave it to me when I bought some stuff for the derby this year. It's got a weird tassle thing attached to the front of the back side of it.

IMAG1470.jpg
IMAG1470.jpg (114.49 KiB) Viewed 1340 times

There was plenty of fish on the graph today, most everywhere we went. I thought this one was interesting, the bait was so thick above the predators, it's no wonder they weren't biting flashy metal things.

IMAG1463.jpg
IMAG1463.jpg (114.09 KiB) Viewed 1340 times

Another really fun day on the water, this time in the middle of January. The carpet was awesome, as were the new 15 lb balls, and autostop beads and Scotty retrievers, especially when fishing 120 down.

How about a little LCU game? What can you deduce from this picture?

IMAG1471.jpg
IMAG1471.jpg (128.48 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Re: Mid January Troll and Cookout

Post by tamiron »

I don't believe that I am alone in saying that I look forward to the crew of the Country Angler posting their pics and telling us what is happening! Great job!
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Post by Dilly Worm »

Great report, that's an amazing number of fish ! After a quick start, I just couldn't get them to keep biting yesterday. Good to see both boys catching salmon !
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
riddlervt
Species: Fins and Scales

Post by riddlervt »

Great post and pics! Thanks for sharing! The sirloin tips look good too
Riddler
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Post by Surprise »

Great Post Jack & Crew,

Trick Question answer is: you are almost into the ramp in Converse with a Frozen Empty Net on deck :D

Go Frostbiters!
Fish On!
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice post Jack. Your crew is always active and producing.
Your lunches are appetizing.
Thanks for sharing your reports, it helps us (the ones with stored boats) go through till spring.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

Surprise wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:47 am Great Post Jack & Crew,

Trick Question answer is: you are almost into the ramp in Converse with a Frozen Empty Net on deck :D

Go Frostbiters!
OK, so, I think I might have underestimated the powers of deduction here for at least one of the LCU members.

I expected an answer somewhere along the lines of, "Net is sticking up in the air, so, it's probably frozen, which means you're fishing in below freezing temperatures, and you caught some fish".

Instead, we get the exact location of where the picture was taken, down to mere feet. I just looked it up, and Lake Champlain has 587 miles of shoreline.

I only got one word to describe what I felt when I read Randy's answer, and it is so appropriate.

SURPRISE!
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
TruViking
Species: Those who thrive in Cold H20

Post by TruViking »

Graet Post.
It's what this thing is all about!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Another great report from the country angler....

Those kids are a lucky bunch!!! Memories and stories that will last a lifetime.

Does your “hot rock” have a metal unicorn on it?

Thanks for the read and pics Jack!

MLK day looks very fishable... can’t wait!
Matt B