choosing correct split ring and hook size for lures

Lure modification. From taping and painting to manufacturing your own fishing lures.
cpmaple
Species: salmon,lakers and catfish

choosing correct split ring and hook size for lures

Post by cpmaple »

Hello All,
Been taping up a few spoons the last few days. How do you know what size split ring and hooks to use? Spoons are 2-3/8 x 1/2 and 2-3/8 x 3/4. Also i know alot of this is personal prefence but does anyone put split rings on each end or just to attach the hook? Thank you in advance where does one get the siwash open eye hooks. thanks cpmaple (chad)
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

Re: choosing correct split ring and hook size for lures

Post by Crazy Ivan »

Chad,
Without seeing and holding your spoon this would only be a guess. #4 splits will cover just about anything you have. On the spoons that are a bit heavier and wider on the bottom I run #4 on the front and #5 On the back. Narrower spoons I run #3.
Hooks can be bought at Lakeland, the have an easy web site to use.
Good luck Todd
Todd
cpmaple
Species: salmon,lakers and catfish

Re: choosing correct split ring and hook size for lures

Post by cpmaple »

Crazy Ivan wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:04 am Chad,
Without seeing and holding your spoon this would only be a guess. #4 splits will cover just about anything you have. On the spoons that are a bit heavier and wider on the bottom I run #4 on the front and #5 On the back. Narrower spoons I run #3.
Hooks can be bought at Lakeland, the have an easy web site to use.
Good luck Todd

Thanks for the information Todd an i will go to the site u suggest and order up some hooks. Hoping to get out friday morning for a bit.