my ist saltwater post

Check and share here for the latest Salt Water fishing reports.
fishy1
Species: many species

my ist saltwater post

Post by fishy1 »

finally got to go fishing in ocean water today fishing with good friend kevin . we headed north to fish a public dock with only 4 fow in indian river. kevin put on cut mullets i put on cut mullet and clam. didnt take long for kevin to get and catch a small catfish. so i decided to take weight off and hang bait over dock. in about 15 minutes bait started busted water all around us . then suddenly my 12 foot surf rod jerked down violently and big fish on but not for long. took the clam which was on the top hook fished another 10 minutes and left as we had a visit to make. fished 1 hour but got to check out alot of public areas for us to fish. talked to chawk and explained what the fish did after hooked and he said mostly likely it was bull red fish. cant wait to back down to river or ocean beach.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: my ist saltwater post

Post by Reelax »

Nice.... Love that salty pull.....
Matt B
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Enjoy your stay Matt. Saltwater fishing is so exciting, never know what may bite.
Keep us posted.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

3/22/2020 went up to indian river for some fishing this morning. started fishing around 8 am and 72 degrees fished on bridge ist with 2 hits but to warm for me so i crossed road and fish on shore and sat under cover with a picnic table. had a popper on and a clam for bait. lots of bait in this spot and they would explode at times. ist 35 minutes there popper started moving fast set the hook and fish on got it half way in and a big fin came up and my line went slack dolphin stole my fish. ugh. didnt take long to get an popper down and i landed a small snook and a jack. had a great time .ImageImage
Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice pics Matt.
Enjoy the warm weather as long as you can, and stay safe.
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

Damn Dolphin Matt! Sounds like ya had a good one on!!!

Thanks for the update. not getting to Florida hurts this year but I appreciate your updates to feel like we are there...

Hope to send ya a salmon pic in the Am...

Fish on!
Matt B
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

3/24/2020 went back again this morning but bought another rod this this time a 7 foot spinning rod i set up with a slider bead set up and a cut mullet. surf rod i had squid on. caught 2 nice catfish on the squid and a spanish mackeral on the mullet. then at 11 am my line on the spinning rod took off like no tommorrow closed the bail after it got out about 200 feet set the hook really hard it busted water an shook off. spinning rod doesnt have enough back bone for a fish that far out . couldnt see what it was . got a pic of the beautiful ocean catfish and a dolphin swimming in front of me.ImageImage
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

Matt...

That fin cutting across in front of you is the coolest shore fishing picture I have ever seen!!!! I’d have loved to have been sitting 6’ next to you with a beer and a pole... thanks for the looks...

Matt
Matt B
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

3/31/2020 fishing has improved for me since in started experimenting and moving around . since the beaches are closed and state parks closed the best fishing is not there for me and i dont have a boat but im making the best of it inland a little where i can fish. weather is 80,s every day all fisherman are keeping distance from each other and its working out great. i caught my ist mangrove snapper yesterday along with some jacks mackeral and others. day before i even caught a sea robin. where im fishing now there are rod holders in the ground and put my rod in and just sit and wait for runs. i have seen manatees sting rays lots of dolphins sharks tarpons you name it i have seen in here. lost some big fish missed some just so much fun. cant go home yet and i miss shore fishing for salmon which is best this time of year but my health is better here and dont risk my family coming back to soon with the corinavirus although i miss them . i am lucky here staying with my cousin also im minutes from ocean waters with great fishing and i can tell you this the fisherman here are very friendly and helpful here to just like up home. i hope everyone stays safe up there and keep on fishing but please be careful this virus is no joke.
ImageImagekeyboard error laptop asus
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

had a very interesting morning fishing today went to wal mart for bait at 7 am only to find a line of about 100 people . so headed for my fishing spot and stopped at mini market to pickup some shrimp for bait. fish and crabs were taking them off . at around 9am or so a guy came in with his boat and asked me if i wanted a live mullet and alive herring i said sure. he said you wont get lots of bites but you will catch maybe some red fish. he also gave me 3 dead ones for cut bait i was so thankful. he was gone maybe 5 minutes when my surf rod was peeling line off at an unreal rate then i closed the bail and fish on and something big on the end. what a fight. everytime i tightened drag he would make a run.it was out about 100 yards. kept trying to tighten up drag a little a time to see what i had on. about half way in i saw a fin then i realized i had a shark on. wow had A hard time on shore since i had mangroves on both sides of me but i got it in took and a couple of pics and cut the line and let it go. so much fun and what a fight. wasnt long my other rod with the live mullet took off closed the bail and snap it broke me off. ugh. had fun today even hooked into a slug.ImageImage
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

Shore fishing will never be the same in Florida. Those fish are on notice... NONE are safe....

Love the shark tail!!
Matt B
Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Really enjoy your shore fishing.
Saltwater fishing is always exciting. Never know what your next bite may be.
Nice sharky.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

4/5/2020 well today shore fishing salt water i had the biggest fish of my life on but it was on my 7 foot spinning rod with 12lb test line i knew i wasnt bringing this fish in. i had a true monster on. i fought it for at least 1/2 hour with a crowd gathering. finally was running out of line on spool decided to tighten drag and hold line so it wouldnt take all my line and it broke me off and burnt my hand and cut it. but at least i got my line saved. cloudy day and rain a nice day for shore fishing. i had a big fish run on my surf rod also at the same time but missed it they were chasing mullets right in front of me. had lots of runs caught some blue fish mangrove snappers blue crabs were vicious robbing my bait. so much fun and i ever know what im going to catch . im using cut finger mullets for bait