Never Give Up (II)

Check and share here for the latest Salt Water fishing reports.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Never Give Up (II)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

As Dilly Worm mentioned on the forum yesterday, "Never Give Up"... keep trying....you will eventually succeed.
Salt water fishing has not been good for me this year. For multiple reasons I was not able to go offshore fishing, so I did not catch any tuna. Bay and inlet fishing was also a challenge. I put over 100 hours on the boat this summer but could not catch a keeper.
After Melissa left us with many flooded area in the neighborhood last week, water level in the bay slowly went back to normal. Saturday after getting all the crab traps out of the water, I went back in the bay to catch fish. I ended up catching 2 keeper sea trout. That was a first for me.
Sunday was forecasted rain and colder temperature, but turned out to be warm and sunny so I went bait fishing and caught close to 60 spots. Spots are like candy to bigger fish, but not very easy to catch and keep alive. In the evening it got colder and started raining so I could not go night fishing as originally planned.
Monday forecasted weather was rain and wind, but afternoon turned out sunny and calm. I filled the livewell with the bait caught the previous day and headed to the route 50 bridge. It turned out to be my best fishing day of the year. On almost every drift I had a bite. In 2 hours, I caught 13 stripers and a flounder. Finally I caught my first flounder keeper and my first striper keeper of the year. NEVER GIVE UP.... 2 great catches within 10 minutes of each other.
It's almost time to put the boat in storage and head back north... hopefully one or 2 more outings still.
Attachments
IMG_0076.JPG
IMG_0076.JPG (146.57 KiB) Viewed 8199 times
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Re: Never Give Up (II)

Post by Dilly Worm »

I know nothing about saltwater fishing but I liked your post. Nice fish - good to see all your persistence paid off !
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

Congratulations Gerry!

Call me when you're back!
Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Wallyandre (Andre) wrote:Congratulations Gerry!
Call me when you're back!
Will do. We should be back weekend Oct 26.
Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

I went back to fishing the bridge on Tuesday as the weather was still nice. Temp in low 70's and no wind. 2 hours on the water bringing 9 stripers, 1 flounder, and 1 bluefish to the boat. All were released.
As we are about to close our beach house till next year, there is a bunch of maintenance to do, like painting and fixing, that were delayed during the summer, even if wife tries to remind me every week.
Coming back to the launch, clouds started filling up the sky.
IMG_0070.JPG
IMG_0070.JPG (88.59 KiB) Viewed 8128 times

That's when I got a message from above :o :o
IMG_0070B.jpg
IMG_0070B.jpg (77.17 KiB) Viewed 8128 times
So today, guess what's am doing :( :(
Last edited by Gecha (Gerry) on Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

I can see that paint roller spinning now... That flounder looks like a monster..

Thanks for the story.
Matt B
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Reelax wrote:That flounder looks like a monster..
agreed... and I'd like a plate full of flounder!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Wednesday was my last day fishing in salt water this year.
Weather was nice and water was calm.
Spent a few hours with my friends Lance and Tom targeting tautog using green crabs.
I only caught one, but it was a nice keeper. Tom caught 2 and Lance had 6. We only kept 2.
These fish have teeth. They use them to crush crabs, sand fleas, and other crustaceans.
Tautog.JPG
Tautog.JPG (36.21 KiB) Viewed 8069 times
Tom and Lance also caught a bunch of oyster toadfish. They are ugly, have sharp spines on their dorsal fin and gills, and will bite your fingers. Glad I didn't catch any.
IMG_0087.JPG
IMG_0087.JPG (104.19 KiB) Viewed 8069 times
Today we put the boat in storage till next year.
It's time to start packing to head back home this weekend.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

great reports gerry and pics . im planning a trip to fish sebastian inlet in florida in march if health conditions are okay. did you catch the sea trout and flounder on live bait?
Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

fishy1 wrote:I'm planning a trip to fish sebastian inlet in florida in march if health conditions are okay. Did you catch the sea trout and flounder on live bait?
Wishing you a healthy recovery and a great trip to Florida.

I fish flounder using live bait, mostly using minnows I catch in the canals and also using a piece of squid.
As for the bigger flounders and strippers, I use 4" to 6" bait, such as spots.
Tautogs are caught using small green crabs.