Slow Start Bassin'

Check and share here for the latest Bass fishing reports.
the_doctor
Species: Whatever's biting

Slow Start Bassin'

Post by the_doctor »

First time poster...spent all day Sunday fooling around in Mallet's Bay area. Only one smallmouth to show for it! This one took the chartreuse spinnerbait. Caught it right off the W end of Mallet's Head.
Went looking for warmer water at Colchester Pond yesterday with just one smallmouth again! This was on a wacky straight worm at the North end by the rope swing.
Looking forward to this fishing season but it's been a slow start, water was a cold 40 degrees most everywhere I looked.
Anyone catching bass who cares to share early season spots up North? Favorite early season lures/tactics? Thanks!
2.jpg
2.jpg (100.39 KiB) Viewed 6927 times
Colchester Pond
1.jpg
1.jpg (138.13 KiB) Viewed 6927 times
Mallet's Bay
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Slow Start Bassin'

Post by Reelax »

Spent the morning touring the wife around the inner bay.. 44.8deg all over close to shore. Good bait in front of Malletts creek, but not takers.... glad to see some bass reports... all welcome here... just some very passionate trollers seem to post often... :oops:

Fish on!
Matt B
tbarto
Species: smallies

Post by tbarto »

My only suggestion, as stated in your Subject title, would be to SLOW down your presentation. Slow moving baits like tubes, Ned Rigs, Jerk baits, hair jigs, etc. Might help.
wesson357
Species: trout

Post by wesson357 »

I took my last week fishs in shallow water 53f in st-alban bay with a suspending crankbait, not too fast with pauses.
neskier1313
Species: bass, trout, salmon

Post by neskier1313 »

I’ll be out Sunday. May head south to Ti or north to St. Albans. Which end of the lake is most fishable, in light of debris, water level, clarity, temp., etc.)?
the_doctor

Post by the_doctor »

Thank you all for the replies. Water temp has been creeping up day-by-day... yesterday bite seemed to pick up bit (though I lost two nice ones :cry: ). Looks like some 60-degree days coming next week, can't wait for the sunshine! Been freezing out there some days still.
Challenger Minnow in bright colors on a VERY SLOW retrieve as some here suggested really seemed to nail them! Actually was casting for lakers with those plugs when the bass started getting excited. Go figure.

neskier1313 , I can only assume that South is better as it's just a touch warmer, though I don't go down that way myself. But you can also catch them up North. See the other post from the guy up in St Alban's bay.
Water is pretty clear, nothing too murky. But I am in Mallet's area which is sometimes clearer. Some debris, dead trees in the water as you'd expect but not too much. Good luck!
neskier1313

Post by neskier1313 »

Appreciate the thorough response! Good luck out there
the_doctor

Post by the_doctor »

Headed out again yesterday, May 6, 2019. Things are warming up quick, with the air temp at a hot 76°F with a beating sun. Water ranged from 45° all the way to 52°-- a change of more than 10 degrees since my first trip last weekend.
In the warmest spot, I and a friend each caught one bass. My buddy's bass was just a beautiful fish, golden, strong and healthy but I lost the pic.
We also caught one small perch and one decent pike.
Saw plenty of nice bass boats out in the same area but they didn't catch a thing as far as I saw! Meanwhile us in our rinky-dink plastic canoe caught the only fish. I'm glad I paid my dues on those cold rainy days last week and figured out the right strategy!!
bass05062019.jpg
bass05062019.jpg (95.32 KiB) Viewed 6701 times
neskier1313

Post by neskier1313 »

Great fish and nice work with the canoe!

I spent Sunday 5/5 trailering, scouting, and exploring a number of areas.

St. Albans Bay Access Area: I didn’t launch because the ramp looked somewhat sketchy and I was solo.

Missisquoi: Dozens of walleye boats in the river.

Great Chazy River/King Bay (NY side): High water but safe to launch. A number of boats in the river and shore fishermen. Tried fishing the river and bay. Quite high and murky. I didn’t catch anything, but was really playing with my new Elite Ti 9 most of the time.

Horican Access Area: Impossible to launch.

Dillenbeck Bay Access Area: Dock is in and good access.

Kings Bay Access Area: Launch looked questionable. Nearby RV park partially under water.

Keeler Bay: Relatively good access. Made some casts inside the bay (far back) and on Kellogg reef, with no luck.

Looks like I should have tried Malletts! I’ll be back on the water next weekend.
wesson357
Species: trout

Post by wesson357 »

I fished yesterday from chazy river down to Monty bay. Caught only 2 bass and 15 perchs soaking worm as I cast for bass.
I even tried jigging for lakers for 15 min. near pointe aux roches. There are a pile of bait in the deep hole and I marked a few lakers.
tbarto

Post by tbarto »

Thanks for the ramp update. I'll be up there starting this Saturday may 11th. What exactly did Horican Access Area: Impossible to launch, look like. That is one of my go to launches. Any updates would be appreciated. Thanks!
neskier1313

Post by neskier1313 »

I agree, good ramp. You know how you can pull down and in from either direction in the shape of a “C”? Basically, the middle of that is under water and there’s no easy way to turn to back a boat in. Also, with the water that high, there’s no depth to launch. Looking forward to the water receding some!
tbarto

Post by tbarto »

Thanks for the update. Looks like I might need to look at Rouses Point launch NY side. I see that is alos high but hoping it is usable. Did you happen to check it out? How about the launch by the bridge, Alburgh VT side? Thanks!
tbarto

Post by tbarto »

Have you ever tried the launch at North Hero State Park? I assume it is also under water.
neskier1313

Post by neskier1313 »

I’ve never tried. Deferred from the park fee and the fact I saw a boat and truck (while I was on the water) get stuck on the launch.