Record long nose gar

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Record long nose gar

Post by Bearcat »

Just saw a report on the news of a Champlain record gar caught this week. 54" and I think they said 14 lbs? Not sure where but I'm guessing it was up north.
Windknot
Species: Trout, salmon, walleye, bass

Re: Record long nose gar

Post by Windknot »

Apparently it was caught in South Bay believe it or not. I found this article with a picture of the beast:
https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdoors ... arket.html
tree-on
Species: Pike

Post by tree-on »

Lots of them in South bay, you can see them up by the surface when the weather is right. Hard to hook on normal lures. I have heard of using twine to catch them instead of hooks. From the article it looks like they catch them all the time (box for unhooking them)
Crestliner1850
Species: LAKERS AND SALMON

Post by Crestliner1850 »

We fly fish for them in Quebec. Best time up here is end of june. They're shallow and easy to spot. We use a split ring and three pieces of wool (8' long). Past the wool trough the ring and tie it with sewing thread. You get a 4' long nose gar fly. Don't set the hook let some time for the wool to stock in the teeth and then your on for a fight. It's a blast.
Mentiply33
Species: Gar

Post by Mentiply33 »

Windknot wrote:Apparently it was caught in South Bay believe it or not. I found this article with a picture of the beast:
https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdoors ... arket.html
Yes it was cought on my boat we been after them for two years landed 47 last year this year only 7 with the state record but we beat it last year but never reported it but was I. The channel not southbay that’s where I launch the boat
Mentiply33

Post by Mentiply33 »

tree-on wrote:Lots of them in South bay, you can see them up by the surface when the weather is right. Hard to hook on normal lures. I have heard of using twine to catch them instead of hooks. From the article it looks like they catch them all the time (box for unhooking them)
Yes the boat is called The Hoovillhooker we get them all the time catfishing
Mentiply33

Post by Mentiply33 »

Bearcat wrote:Just saw a report on the news of a Champlain record gar caught this week. 54" and I think they said 14 lbs? Not sure where but I'm guessing it was up north.
52 1/2 little over 14 lbs he got it on my boat I netted it for him he was going to cut the line lol I said hell no let’s see if it’s the state record said part is I seen bigger ones the record can be broke again just weigh them and report them
Mentiply33

Post by Mentiply33 »

Gar
Gar
9FFDB89D-B619-4AAE-9931-4C0B2CA7AE53.jpeg (126.18 KiB) Viewed 790 times
Attachments
Gar
Gar
6E0100AF-DB98-46F5-97F6-CBB64E4DF5EE.jpeg (126.18 KiB) Viewed 790 times
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

thanks for the reports. i never caught one and see them all the time under my boat when anchored some big ones to. very interesting how you unhook them also wouldnt want to get bit by one ouch. do you fish them mostly at night?