Success with flasher spoon setup

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Success with flasher spoon setup

Post by tmcaul »

Last weekend we picked up a big brown trout on a flasher spoon setup trolling over Colchester Reef. On the same day my son also lost a good-sized salmon on this setup just south of Stave.

Wednesday we fished Whallons. It was windy. The lake was rough. We lost a small laker and landed a laker about 3 lbs. We hadn't even wanted to fish there, because we haven't had much action there this season, but from the Converse launch it is one of the only places to escape a south wind.

We had fished all the way from Spit Rock to Essex and back. We decided to call it quits and started picking up lines. My son retrieved the stern planer and two dipsies. Then he popped one of the downrigger releases and started reeling in his flasher spoon setup. There was no resistance initially, but then the rod tip started jerking. Vigorously. Seconds later a big (for us) salmon leaped. Then 3 more jumps. I grabbed the net. Thankfully we were close to Split Rock and out of the wind. I missed the fish the first time, but it remained hooked and I got it on the second attempt. Beautiful male, but with 3 lampreys attached. We released the fish and dispatched the lampreys.

I will ask my son to post the images of the brown and the salmon later today and to describe the color and type of spoons used.

Couple of things to consider...

Flasher spoon setup has been productive. This to me is more of a laker setup. Anybody else having luck with this setup on browns and salmon?

The nice salmon from Whallons didn't release? Kind of curious. It also allowed us to possibly tow it and it only began fighting when my son started to reel in that line. Our experience has been that larger 20+" salmon are decisive when they strike. Just one of those crazy things that happen? Any thoughts?

Tom
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Re: Success with flasher spoon setup

Post by keithm87 »

Are you sure the fish didnt strike when you popped the rigger? I have had that happen a few time, pop the rigger changes lure action and triggers strike. I usually pop my rigger and let the line drift up for a few seconds before starting to reel in just for that factor.
dry net
Species: cold water

Post by dry net »

We sometimes tow fish with long leads off the riggers, as little as 30 feet. I think that they just swim with the boat. This spring we were fishing leeds of 30 and 50 and were towing two nice salmon. Didn't know until we poped one and the other was tangled in it. What a mess but a good mess. Good luck!
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

i bet it was exciting when it happened. great job and smart getting out of the wind.
tmcaul

Post by tmcaul »

Here’s a the pic of the flasher and the small honeybee that’s been hot of late plus the salmon caught in Whallons on Wednesday evening.

gif hosting

Went out again last night and fished down south, 5/5 with 3 salmon and 2 browns.
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

I think thats good success for Augest.
tmcaul

Post by tmcaul »

This morning we fished south of Diamond Island and lost what we think were two big salmon on the flasher spoon setup.

Also caught three small browns (foot or less).

I think maybe the small browns were stocked earlier this year by VT Fish and Game.

Tom
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Nice job. Thanks for the detail!
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Off season
Species: Salmon/Lakers

Post by Off season »

That color Honey Bee has been hot for me also !
"OFF SEASON"
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Went back to check out that spoon again ... It is a great seller but I can't believe I missed this the first time. Guess that I was just happy for the publicity :D

Check the attachment ... a snap to the front ring! Have never tried that before behind a flasher. Certainly another tool that allows greater speed at the lure without ruining the action ... give it a try
Attachments
CaptureA.JPG
CaptureA.JPG (15.06 KiB) Viewed 1368 times
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Post by Bearcat »

I've had a few Champlain salmon that almost certainly hit while I was popping the release, including a 9 lb fish in port Henry. In fact, it happened with a 17 lb King in Oswego this Sunday. I guess that little extra wiggle wakes up that monotonous back and forth wobble of a trolling spoon and triggers the strike.
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Post by Bearcat »

What size pro troll flasher and how long of a lead were you using? I've had some success with a 6" flasher, a 10" leader and a small orange fly but only lakers on that setup so far.
tmcaul

Post by tmcaul »

I primarily run the 8” pro troll or 8” spin doctor. I’ve tried the 4” pro troll but they don’t seem to have the same speed tolerance that the the larger flashers have.

As for lead length, it really depends on the spoon, I’ll adjust the lead length until I see a very slight kick to the spoon as the flasher rolls boatside, it can be anywhere from 22” to 30 inches.

I did get a chance to try out an 11” pro troll fish n chips today and we caught a 10lb laker within 5 minutes of it being in the water.

I hooked up again about 20 minutes later but the fish broke me off and I lost the whole rig. Soon as I got home I ordered two more from FishUSA.

We also caught both of our 2 salmon on the same flasher spoon rig that’s been hot lately. Same as always, 15’ back, down 55’.
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
Bulldogbish
Species: Salmon, Lakers

Post by Bulldogbish »

Pretty cool set up. Do you ever use dodgers instead? We have tried similar setups with dodgers and flashers but just never had the confidence in them but these usually get tied on when every trick comes out and not during prime time.

Will have to try it again and credit you!
tmcaul

Post by tmcaul »

Yesterday afternoon we picked up a 3 lb brown and then a 3-4 lb salmon. Both off riggers at 55' and trolling speed was 2.4-2.6 mph. That trolling speed was our surface speed; our Fish Hawk isn't working right.

We also lost a third fish. Size and type unknown. So 2 for 3 in about two and a half hours of trolling.

For us the fishing has definitely picked up.

Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund