Species: All

Re: shore fishing for walleyes and pan fish updated may 15 2019 huge eye

Post by Sawyer »

That is a nice one Congrats Josh
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

That's an impressive fish! Doesn't even fit in the bucket!
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

That is a great walleye. Congrats on your team work netting that fish. Will be a beautiful mount.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

5/16/2019 headed across the big pond again this morning with josh for some great eating walleyes. i moved to another spot and left josh at his spot. i had no hits there in one hour so went back to fish with josh. take long to get a good hit and fish on i land a walleye. a little later josh lands one also. then they got real finicky as i lost 3 and missed several and josh missed several also. then around 11 :30 am my worm rod was on bottom with a purple moon jig i was talking to josh heard a noise and there was my rod tip doubled over and in the water and i grabbed the rod fish on and something huge. within seconds it came off the bottom busted water way out and threw my jig at least 30 feet towards shore. wow what was that a huge salmon or musky? neither josh or i saw it but it was a big splash . i ended up with 1 eye lost 3 and missed several and josh landed 1 and missed 5 or 6.
ImageImage
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/17/2019 headed back across the big pond again today this time solo though with a freind from vt. joining me later in the morning. started fishing at 7 am and it didnt take long to have action a good size sheephead and a short eye. then around 8 am bouncing bottom my line stopped rod tip down fish on and a big one felt like and eye all the way when i saw it about 6 feet from shore i saw it and it was a very big eye. it just wouldnt co-operate with me though kept heading for the bottom. after a few minutes got him in close i had to bend over for the net and when i did gave him enough room to rip the hook out of him and gone. ugh. what a big eye. ruined my morning after that to say the least i have landed a 10 lber and a 11 lber through the ice on the st lawrence this one by far would have been my biggest here. caught one more short after and my freind eric had no hits.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/19/2019 headed over across the big pond last evening with my grand-daughter alayna with me trying to catch a walleye. started fishing at 6 pm with a brisk north wind and chilly for her. weather sure is crazy this spring. only 1 hit and i asked alayna if she wanted to go home she was cold she said yes and it was 7:15 pm. started reeling in my worm rod when all of sudden i had a hit and the drag was burning immediately with my rod doubled over . the fish was coming up and busting water. all i could think of was a musky. there was no stopping it peeled off 75 yards of line and was getting down to the metal . had to put pressure on it to. slow it. alayna stood there with the net cheering me on. this was going on for awhile in fact its 22 minutes later it unhooked and bent the jig hook. never got a good look at it but i was pretty sure it was a huge carp. alayna was dissapointed but said pa pa he will bite again. :D :D :D this fish wore me out.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/19/2019 headed across the big pond again targeting walleyes and scott josh eric and bill was in on it. trying to get bills ist walleye ever took a while but he got one around 10:30 am and i put it in the net. wow his smiles said it all . ist thing in the morning eric landed a nice walleye and caught 2 shorts and lost a good one. i landed a nice walleye around 8:30 am after losing 2 shorts earlier. also lost 2 others one big one . scott caught one short and josh more or less watched and netted . the purple moon eye jigs were on for me today. bill lost his but josh came through with one of his and it wasnt 10 minutes later bill landed his ist walleye ever. we had a blast with lots of needling and just having fun this is what its all about. ImageImageImage
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/20/2019 headed across the big pond this morning solo when i got there the water was stained bad and water was fast. fished anyhow catching 2 short walleyes and 3 sheephead. thrill of the day was reeling in my line i had a thundering hit and fish on with the drag burning i had on my ist gar fish ever got him in the net twice to take a couple of pics and both times it flew out 2nd time it went on its way.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/22/2019 headed across the big pond again solo was there for and hour catching 2 short eyes when eric showed up casted a while nad recommended we try the crappies. i said why not if you got the right rods. he said yes lets go. got the spot around 6:15 pm and there was 3 fisherman there but plenty of room for us. wasnt long i got the ist crappie then erics girl freind has a good size fish on and its pike eric missed it twice and it broke her off. then the guy to the right of me hooked into a nice pike and i netted it for him and he gave the pike. 30 inches . then i landed another crappie and that would do it for me missed 2 though. eric caught 2 so i went home with 4 crappies and a pike.
Riverrunt
Species: Lakers and perch

Post by Riverrunt »

Nice walleye's guy's
troutcrazy

Post by troutcrazy »

Gar! I've never caught one, but I have some nice memories from childhood of swimming in Hawkins Bay with a snorkel and mask, in the shallows by the camps. There were lots of big gar hanging out there and they weren't scared-- they were probably bigger than I was-- and I swam right up and touched them.

Glad to hear you went after the crappies. Be careful-- those things are addictive! :lol:
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

6/1/2019 headed across the big pond with my granddaughter alayna for some walleye and pan fish action. was very crowded due to the rotary derby but thanks to riverside (donovans) we had a place for to fish. she caught some big white perch and lost a walleye. she had lots of bites but i had the moon eye jigs on and the hook is to large. Imagefifth third bank near me right now
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

6/9/2019 headed across the big pond with bill and josh for some walleye action on a nice warm day. started out with bill getting a number of good bites and bill landed one small eye. then it happened where we were fishing was a bunch of water snakes ugh. 3 to 5 feet from us. i do not like them they can become very aggressive and even come up on ground to eat your fish. anyhow i did not take my eyes off in front of me. i had some good bites lost a couple of small eyes and had a good one follow but wouldnt commit . i had a gar fish get wrapped up in my line and that got exciting for a minute. then i had another hit my jig on shore and shake loose. josh missed some good bites where he was but was bothered by white perch. we had fun despite the snakes no keeper eyes though. i caught a eel and bill eyes got real big bill says it that was on my line i would have thrown the rod in the water. :lol:
troutcrazy

Post by troutcrazy »

I'll sneak this kayak report into your shore-fishing thread :)
I got into a really nice crappie bite in one of my favorite smaller VT lakes. I think it was barely post-spawn for a lot of them. Females had only a few eggs. Most males were still dark. But I mistook some males for egg-laden females because they had the golf ball belly. It turns out they were just engorged with the fry they were eating! Stuffed. It took extra effort while filleting, to keep the meat clean because they were so full.
I caught a couple big males around 14 inches! I released the big males, and kept smaller ones. Let 'em guard their nests, if that's what they're still doing. Not sure. I like eating the 10"-12" fish. I kept a dozen to fry for a pot-luck party tomorrow, and released as many.
Surface temperature was 70, but I know it's colder underneath. This lake always spawns late and deep.
Some fish were surfacing in the deep water, and I wondered if they were rainbows. But then I thought probably not with such a warm surface temp of 70. I trolled for a bit at 7' and 17' and lost a fish.

This was a very satisfying day.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

6/232019 and 6/24/2019 well im kinded of grounded where and how i fish drs orders so the last couple of nights been going down on a freinds dock sitting in a chair and fishing with a bobber and a worm and 1 rod on bottom with cut bait for cats and fins. the depth of the water there is 2 to 6 feet.. in 2 nights i landed 17 bass lots of yellow perch and sunnies in less than 4 hours fishing. bass were all good size one being a 21 incher that was released kept 4 in 2 nights to eat. here is the shocker last nights 2 bass had 6 and 7 inch smelt in them june 24th in 2 to 6 fow. unreal. whImageat a relaxing time .Imagejob outlook for forensic anthropologistsImageImage