shore fishing for walleyes and pan fish updated may 15 2019 huge eye

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

shore fishing for walleyes and pan fish updated may 15 2019 huge eye

Post by fishy1 »

5/23/2018 after taking 3 days off from fishing and eating a walleye for dinner tuesday night decided to do some shore fishing for eyes this morning. started fishing at 7;15 am . set up one rod with a hook and sinker on bottom and the other a 1/2 ounce ball jig tipped with a crawler. within 5 minutes on hook and sinker started catching nice size white perch. not much doing on the ball jig until 8 am had a solid hit and lost it. as i tossed it back out my other rod was bouncing wildly i land a walleye 16 inches tossed it back. then until 9:30 am caught about 9 white perch. then on the ball jig a solid hit and i land another eye 17 inches tossed it back. just as i tossed it back my other rod was bouncing wildly again and i land another eye. this time legal 18 and 1/2 inches. then soon after my rod doubled over and fish on and a big one and it broke me off. ugh. probably a drum or carp. then at 10:40 am good bites on both rods i land a nice eye and the other a drum. thats 4 eyes with 2 keepers im happy need one more for my limit but not to be landed another at 11:15 am another short. left at 11:30 am with 2 nice eyes. :D
Imageimage upload freeImagepost a picture
Last edited by fishy1 on Wed May 15, 2019 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smitty
Species: Salmon & Lake Trout

Re: shore fishing for walleyes and pan fish

Post by Smitty »

Nice there's some good eats right there
The River Rat
Species: Anything that swims

Post by The River Rat »

Have to say time well spent right there!! Lip smacking good stuff. Keep on em Fishy1
A White
Koissu
Species: Trout

Post by Koissu »

Been trying a few times over the last few weeks for walleye in the Winooski. Similarly setting up a rod with a sliding sinker rig and then casting one with vary paddletails and divers. The only one I had casting followed to shore and hit maybe three feet out. I saw it hit - very cool! But then I had some slight pressure and it was gone. Whatever it was cut the line clean, I would guess walleye or pike? No walleye besides whatever that was, but have gotten a few monster redhorse sucker. One 26.5", one 27.5". Also got a nice 19" smallmouth, so I'm at three master angler fish so far this year. Lots of little perch swallowing circle hooks which is a pain : /
Attachments
IMG_2329.JPG
IMG_2274.JPG
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Nice job Matt, nice to see you back from Ontario.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Koissu wrote:Been trying a few times over the last few weeks for walleye in the Winooski. Similarly setting up a rod with a sliding sinker rig and then casting one with vary paddletails and divers. The only one I had casting followed to shore and hit maybe three feet out. I saw it hit - very cool! But then I had some slight pressure and it was gone. Whatever it was cut the line clean, I would guess walleye or pike? No walleye besides whatever that was, but have gotten a few monster redhorse sucker. One 26.5", one 27.5". Also got a nice 19" smallmouth, so I'm at three master angler fish so far this year. Lots of little perch swallowing circle hooks which is a pain : /
keep at it you will score.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/24/2018 decided to hit the same spot today for some eyes and pan fish. well i caught some white perch and a few yellows but only 1 eye and undersize. had a eric join me this morning from ferrisburgh and his 3 rd cast with a sonar he lands a eye. close to being legal but eric just decided to let it loose instead of measuring it. eric left at 9 am to look at some fishing stuff for sale and then returned. what happened after was terrible. he landed a small sheepshead and the bottom treble embedded in his hand. a difficult situation since the fish was on the front trebles ugh. i couldnt help at all the way the fish and lure were there without hurting eric more. eric worked on this after unhooking the fish he dug the treble out with a knife. after this i had to leave and eric stayed fishing. hope its okay as i will call him later. i ended up keeping 12 white perch and 2 yellows. slow day and not many eyes caught at all from the boaters unlike yesterday.
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Oh man that hurts just thinking about it. I hope he's ok! Those double trebles are kind of scary, and I was already thinking I should try switching them for singles on my stickbaits. Now I'm convinced!

Anyway, nice reports. Glad you're getting into the walleyes! I had to take a couple weeks off from fishing-- lots of work on the house piling up-- and now I'm going to travel to visit relatives. When I get back, though, I'll be all over that lake!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Koissu wrote:Been trying a few times over the last few weeks for walleye in the Winooski. Similarly setting up a rod with a sliding sinker rig and then casting one with vary paddletails and divers. The only one I had casting followed to shore and hit maybe three feet out. I saw it hit - very cool! But then I had some slight pressure and it was gone. Whatever it was cut the line clean, I would guess walleye or pike? No walleye besides whatever that was, but have gotten a few monster redhorse sucker. One 26.5", one 27.5". Also got a nice 19" smallmouth, so I'm at three master angler fish so far this year. Lots of little perch swallowing circle hooks which is a pain : /
nice red horse suckers.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

troutcrazy wrote:Oh man that hurts just thinking about it. I hope he's ok! Those double trebles are kind of scary, and I was already thinking I should try switching them for singles on my stickbaits. Now I'm convinced!

Anyway, nice reports. Glad you're getting into the walleyes! I had to take a couple weeks off from fishing-- lots of work on the house piling up-- and now I'm going to travel to visit relatives. When I get back, though, I'll be all over that lake!
have a safe trip andric.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/25/2018 went up north today with wayne for some walleye action. started fishing at 7:15 am after the 45 minute drive and a stop for a dunkin donut coffee and a couple of donuts.. ist 5 minutes fishing fish on and i land a small eye then 10 minutes later another tossed them back to small. then wayne showed up at 8:30 am i had a good run and off it came. then nothing as wayne was catching lots of rock bass. wayne was using lighter jigs then i so maybe the reason for the rock bass dont know. but after 9 am i had only 2 more bites and 1 was a eye and lost it. 2 for 4 for me but no keepers. wayne and i left at 11 am.
Last edited by fishy1 on Mon May 28, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/28/2018 went up north with alayna hopeing to get her ist walleye. got there around 8 am after stopping at dunkin donuts to have my coffee and alayna donuts. i decided to set 4 rods with 4 different color moon eye jigs 1/2 ounce tipped with a whole crawler. set up the ist rod and then the 2nd then the 3rd when alayna yells papa got a good run. she closes the bail and fish on alayna lands her ist ever walleye. wow what a start. finally got all 4 rods in when the last one takes off alayna grabs the rod pciks it up slowly and fish on and a good one only to shake loose. then a half hour later another good run and she pulls the hook out of its mouth.. ugh. that would be it for walleyes the rest of the morning everything shut down. she did catch 2 big yellow perch. left at noon with alayna,s ist walleye.Image
here is alayna with her ist walleye ever.Image
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

I am going to have to confiscate those jigs you got at cabelas...lol
Mr. Gill
Species: Bluegills

Post by Mr. Gill »

Great day Matt. Love those moon eye jig heads for panfish.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Congrats to Alayna on her first eye...bet Grandpa was as proud as she was... ;) 8-)