SHORE FISHING FOR WALLEYES

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

SHORE FISHING FOR WALLEYES

Post by fishy1 »

6/7/2017 going to post my last 3 shore fishing for walleyes days which is a rarity for me for walleyes since the downhill turn of them in the 1990,s. another forum fisherman whom i post pics for from time to time that has a passion for fishing like i do suggested i come up and fish with him for walleyes from shore. couldnt pass it up since they are out favorite freshwater fish to eat. i went up june ist the day before the rotary classic and i didnt get dissapointed i was 4 for 8 and jason was somewhere around there. they were on the smaller size but we did catch a couple of nice keepers. sow we both fished the rotary classic but went back monday for some more walleye fishing. jason left early and i stayed until noon . i was 9 for 15 and jason i think was 3 for 6 in the short time he was with me. both of us landed a walleye on our very ist jig. the limit is 5 walleyes 15 inches and up there. tuesday was a washout and fished for a couple of hours until i soaked through and i was 2 for 4. today june 7th i went there solo as jason went out trolling for lakers . the water had raised about 2 feet and it was sunny so i didnt expect much boy did i get a suprise. :o ist 1/2 hour only one hit and i lost it and it was a good one. very slow start then at 8:20 am my line took off and fish on and a good one after a struggle getting him over a barrier i land a nice 22 inch walleye which i consider big for there. i couldnt beleive it and hurried took a pic and sent it to jason and family. then i landed some smaller ones but the bite wasnt as strong as the prior days where we had lots of hits. then at 11:15 am my line stops rod tip bends and fish on i land a nice 20 inch walleye. :D fished another 1/2 hour and headed home . i was 8 for 10 with only those 2 keepers. i am using a green jig head and baiting it with a whole crawler. we had a walleye fish fry tonight and it was a treat to say the least.Image
22 inch walleye
walleye fish fryImage
Last edited by fishy1 on Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Re: SHORE FISHING FOR WALLEYES

Post by C-Hawk »

You work hard for your fish and deserve such a great treat Matt!
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

20 inch's are nice fish. I wish we could have walleye fishing like that in Champlain. Thanks for story Matt.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

The smaller ones are better eating! SUPER COOL! Nice job!!!!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Vtmopar
Species: Everything

Post by Vtmopar »

good write up, nice fish. its nice the walleyes are coming back.
the states efforts are towards bringing them back is working.
High Plains Drifter
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice walleyes Matt. I see a happy face.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

6/8/2017 went back this morning for some more walleyes. warm and sunny and the eyes didnt cooperate did get 4 undersize eyes that i released. did catch some nice rock bass and 9 big yellow perch. this one was short sent it back to grow.ImageImage
jumbo yellow perch today
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

6/9/2017 hit the shore for some more walleye action this morning with gusty winds and rain most of the morning. landed a 17 incher 2nd cast a good eater. then i lost a couple and landed some undersize and went home in the rain. i was 5 for 7 but only 1 keeper. the wind was nasty to say the least glad it wasnt to cold.
Controlled chaos
Species: what's biting

Post by Controlled chaos »

Fishy1 I'm glad to see your catchn the eyes! I'm a walleye fanatic ,any chance you would show me general location if I bring the boat? :)
FishnChef
Species: Salmon

Post by FishnChef »

Lol
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Controlled chaos wrote:Fishy1 I'm glad to see your catchn the eyes! I'm a walleye fanatic ,any chance you would show me general location if I bring the boat? :)
sent you a pm
Laker Taker
Species: Lake trout, Salmon,

Post by Laker Taker »

Way to go Fishy!!! Keep up the great reporting!!
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Great job Matt...
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

6/11/2017 did a little shore fishing this morning in a gusty wind and a very warm temperature. i joined jason and later my daughter joined us. jason was catching some nice rock bass for a short period and no walleyes. i was getting a few hits but not as many. about half hour into the morning i land a short walleye 14 inches. then i lose one. jason still has none but has missed a couple. jason moved around a little trying to get some walleyes hits i stood in place. shortly after jason moved i land a 13 inch walleye. then my daughter shows up and i give her one of my rods set up with a jig head green with a crawler. ist cast before she closes the bail her line started peeling out and she misses it. took the whole crawler. very sunny and warm now so not ideal for walleyes jason left and my daughter and i tried to find some shade in the deeper water. ist spot nothing then the 2nd spot my end jig fish on and a good one. got it up about half way and it shook loose. could have been a 20 inch plus walleye. then wayne showed up to see how we were doing and and we visited and called it a day. to warm and bright. was good to fish with jason and my daughter and the fish were a bonus as i had 16 rock bass and 6 yellow perch and 2 big pumpkin seeds to fillet.