pan fishing and cafishing2017 ADDED PIC OF 30 LB PLUS CATFISH 7/25/2017

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

pan fishing and cafishing2017 ADDED PIC OF 30 LB PLUS CATFISH 7/25/2017

Post by fishy1 »

finally got some pan fishing in for the ist time this year. fished 5/16-5/18 at my relatives camp from shore. i am really surprised as the bite is on and got better even today which i ended up only using 1 rod. fished with egg sinkers and a single # 4 eagle claw #32 snell hook. got into the yellow the ist 2 days really good so good that i only kept 9 inch yellows unless it was over 12 inches and eligible for the lci basin derby. tuesday kept 23 yellows and wednesday 32 yellow 8 to 9 inches. today this morning at 6am decided to cast out as far as i could and see what happens on one rod. i found out soon just as it hit bottom fish on and a big white perch 11 inches. then it was non stop with that 1 rod reeled the other in since 1 was enough. quit at 9:30 am with a half of a cooler with just 10 to 12 plus inch whites everything below that was released. that was a blast. filleted them up and am giving them to a freind. i have 2 bags of yellow fillets for us. in 3 days i weighed in 2 yellows and a white for the basin derby. could have weighed in more but didnt need to whites and yellows need to be 12 inches and up to be eligible for the derby.
here are some whites before filletingImagefree photo hosting
nice yellow perch
Imagefree screen capture software
Last edited by fishy1 on Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Gill
Species: Bluegills

Re: pan fishing 2017

Post by Mr. Gill »

The Champlain panfish guru is back at it!
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Action filled report Fishy. I will be waiting for you EEL report.
Did you fish in clear or stained water?
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:Action filled report Fishy. I will be waiting for you EEL report.
Did you fish in clear or stained water?
semi stained tuesday and wednesday clear thursday everytime the sun would pop puts big whites would shut down. no eels yet but big bullhead and 3 catfish so far on the smaller side. using just crawlers for now.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/19/2017 hit the camp again today and it didnt dissapoint me. one rod and steady action from 6 am thru 10:30 am. didnt keep many today just the badly hooked ones just had fun reeling them in. used 36 crawlers in pieces today so the bite was there. a gusty west wind didnt deter the bite today. landed 11 big lake bullhead also and got one nice yellow perch with a 4 inch alewife in its mouth. yes im 2 miles below the champlain bridge.
here is one of the 11 bullheadImageimage sharing sitesImageupload an image
yellow perch with 4 inch alewife in its mouth
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Traci and i got some bullhead in east creak a few week ago and they tasty.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:Traci and i got some bullhead in east creak a few week ago and they tasty.
good eats but these havent spawned out yet so been releasing them all week
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Hi Fishy & Don...we should hit the lake soon...The pan-rough Fish are at least biting, that is a great way to introduce kids to the sport. There is lots of action and all you Grandpa's should get your little ones out while the cold water bite is slow. I know Fishy likes taking his Granddaughter fishing and she is "hooked". On another note, I caught a perch in Lake George a few years ago with a 6" smelt in it's mouth, when they are hungry they will try and eat anything they can (or can't) fit in their mouth...take advantage of this now while they aren't so picky, taking a few pan fish home for the table does no harm and they are great to eat.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

3/20/2107 hit the camp this morning around 6:15 am under very windy conditions north wind and gusty. my 2nd fish was a 4 inch blue gill tossed it in the pail and went up in the car and grabbed a cat rod. put ite the whole gill on a hook and tossed it out but not to far. yellows were biting very good with 1 rod and wasnt expecting nothing from the cat rod right away. about 15 minutes later my cat rod was peeling off line like no tommorrow got over to it closed the bail and fish on a long ways out approx 100 yards . slowly worked the cat to shore with the huge waves pounding the shore tried unsuccessfully 3 times to get it in the net got away and crossed my perch rods line and now had both the cat and my other rods line. got hectic to say the least but on the 4th or 5th attempt got it in the net and unharmed. took a pic and released it after measuring it 34 inches. what a way to start the morning. for the rest of the morning had one more run on a yellow perch but landed some nice yellow perch and white perch . kept 15 white perch and 10 yellow perch for filleting.Imagehow to take screenshots
34 inch catfish
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/22/2017 hit a river first thing in the morning then after dinner last night ran over to the camp for some pan fishing and catfishing. left my cat rods home so i put a 8 inch white perch on my bullhead rod that brute took on me last summer. 12 lb trilene big game on it and a # 4 doubled snell eagle claw hook. started fishing at 6 pm and 6:15 pm my line starts peeling off like no tommorrow got down to the bare reel closed the bail and held on wow did i have a cat on. had to get him in some without him breaking me off since i didnt have much line on the reel after a few minutes got a little on and he soon peeled it off down to metal again yikes. it was out at least 200 feet from me so i just held on and moved him when i could i would get some line on the reel and he would just peel it off this cat did not want to come towards shore and i was wishing i had my cat rod. nudged him a little at a time and in front of me was a big tree branch that floated in during the day. it didnt want no part of the shore and i even had to open the bail a couple of times because he would turn and go so fast. i kept saying to myself got to land him its ghost who my wife named him4 years ago and he took my cat rod for a ride last summer. i put some pressure on him to keep him away from the big branch but it got under there anyhow. now it got scary rocks were slippery from the rains and i reached down for the net and down i went one leg in the water under the branch held on to the net lifted the ghost up and into the net was a chore but did it but so big hard to get him in and out of the water it rolled right out. so another 2 or 3 minutes went by and tried again with him my drag was to loose couldnt get him up so i opened the bail grabbed the line pulled it up and into the net with him tipping the net sideways trying to grab it by the horns which i usually do but he just kept going net and all for the lake and broke me off. ugh! ghost has done it again i was just stunned. biggest cat fish of my life after a 15 or 20 minute fight and he won again. my wife said this is the 4th time me twice and her twice. ended the night catching some nice whites and 1 bowfin on that rod . i had my chance again and lost but i know he still there been 4 years in a row at the same spot. :(
i forgot t mention i had to bring in my other line and cast it a little to pull my net back in.

here is the big tree branch in the water at the camp ghost got under the base is about 6 to 8 inches around

Imageimage hosting free
Last edited by fishy1 on Tue May 23, 2017 9:48 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Matt, you have to get a bigger net ;)
That's an exciting encounter with that big cat. Thanks for sharing
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Yes, Matt you do need a bigger net. Is there a way you could put in a dock were you fish?
I eat a half bag of popcorn while reading you post. It was an exciting read.
Last Sunday we went out of Benson so Traci could try some bow fishing. No carp around but there were some big gars.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/24/2017 fished at the camp in the morning for 3 hours caught plenty of perch mostly white and some big ones. only 1 run on the cat pole and a miss. went back at 6:30 am until 8 am with 2 runs on the cat pole and landing a bowfin. well now for the stunner it happened to me again last year on harrys boat i lassoed a salmon well last night as i was getting ready to leave on the worm had a good white perch on i thought well when i got it in another shock. :o i had 2 white perch on but i only fish with 1 hook on the end of the line with a egg sinker above. the top white perch the line was wrapped around his head and i landed it from over 200 feet from shore. i have had some incredible things happen the last couple of years and now nothing surprises me anymore. :lol:Imagewindows screenshot
here is the 2 white perch caught with only 1 hook on the lineImageforum image hosting
bowfin
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Good stories Matt, you keep things going when the fishing is slow for the cold water species. Finally got one of my boats back, think I will hit the lake for a combo of some panfish and trolling next week. I'll give you the heads up before. Maybe "Sawyer" can join us...
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/24/2017 hit the camp this morning at 6;30 am with calm seas and clear water. not a good fishing day from shore for pan fish and cats. but fished with 1 rod with worms and the other on my cat rod a white perch. very slow ended the morning at 10:15 am kept 19 yellows and 10 white perch . no runs on the cat rod. the fish were not aggressive and had to work at hooking them today. went back tonight for an hour and they were very aggressive kept 22 big white perch and 20 big yellows. bit steady from 7 pm to 8 pm