airbrushing spoons question

Lure modification. From taping and painting to manufacturing your own fishing lures.
OUTCAST
Species: lake trout, salmon

airbrushing spoons question

Post by OUTCAST »

I'm experimenting with painting some spoons. Have a couple of questions for you masters. What are you guys using for stencils? I've done free hand, used that loofah material for fish scales. I've used another spoon so that colors follow the edge line. Looking for other ideas to incorporate into my painting experience. Dots are 1 issue I'm trying to overcome. It may be the fact I'm using a 2 stage airbrush.

Chris
jusgrinnin
Species: warm&cold

Re: airbrushing spoons question

Post by jusgrinnin »

Dots just come with practice you can use onion bag type material for fish scale and painters tape to do 1/2 & 1/2 color combos. I no master hope this helps.
BARRY
Targa V18
Species: lake trout/Salmon

Post by Targa V18 »

OUTCAST wrote:I'm experimenting with painting some spoons. Have a couple of questions for you masters. What are you guys using for stencils? I've done free hand, used that loofah material for fish scales. I've used another spoon so that colors follow the edge line. Looking for other ideas to incorporate into my painting experience. Dots are 1 issue I'm trying to overcome. It may be the fact I'm using a 2 stage airbrush.

Chris
I'm no Master but sure like to paint. Walmart has all kinds of material for scaling. Dots can be better accomplished by turning your air down and thinning your paint. If you want them consistent on specific spoons you can make a template by drilling a template spoon and just set it over the other spoon each time. You can also make fine dots by removing the end cap from your air brush that protects the needle just be careful not to hit your needle and bend it. Just my 2 cents but it works for me!!!! Have fun. P.S. Two stage is what you want. Much more control.
OUTCAST

Post by OUTCAST »

Both the brushes I have are 2 stage. A lot of the spoons so far have came out nice in my opinion. The drilling the blank spoon for dots is a great idea, thanks. The onion bag is a good idea too. Have to give those a try.
OUTCAST

Post by OUTCAST »

One other question where do you guys get the siwash hooks anyway?
Targa V18
Species: lake trout/Salmon

Post by Targa V18 »

OUTCAST wrote:One other question where do you guys get the siwash hooks anyway?
I purchased mine on e-bay.
LKWINNI3
Species: Salmon

Post by LKWINNI3 »

Another question does it matter if the hook is facing the front or back of the spoon?
Patriot
Species: Salmon

Post by Patriot »

This may seem like a strange question to most but the single single siwash hook should face the back of the lure. When trolled the hook will face in the best hooking direction.
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

try captainhookdiscountwarehouse.com
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

LKWINNI3 wrote:Another question does it matter if the hook is facing the front or back of the spoon?
If faced the "wrong way" it will pick up more debris from the bottom. Should face the concave side.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

tamiron wrote:
LKWINNI3 wrote:Another question does it matter if the hook is facing the front or back of the spoon?
If faced the "wrong way" it will pick up more debris from the bottom. Should face the concave side.

They also only lay in a specialmate tackle box if the hooks face the concave side.. If they face the other way the back side of your spoons show... :evil:
Matt B