2016 RECAP OF MY FISHING REPORTS. jan.-jan. more photos added 1/5 2016

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

2016 RECAP OF MY FISHING REPORTS. jan.-jan. more photos added 1/5 2016

Post by fishy1 »

2016 came in with a bang with spring like weather and fishing was on fire. january through march the bite on the rivers was so good i never hit any ice fishing where there was safe ice. something i rarely ever miss in the winter . fished mostly rivers and some laker fishing on shore casting lures. landed my biggest brown in january and biggest salmon ever in february but landed many good size salmon in the 5 lb plus range. i had plenty of good company fishing also with wayne, vt matt, vt matts brother and vt matts freind edin jimbow and more and some other forum members.
then came april ist opening of trout season in new york. wayne and i hit some bushwhack ponds and did very well with the highlights wayne nice brown and i losing a bobber and a hook
only to have a brookie get it loose and swim by wayne and wayne thinking it was his bobber pulling in his line. :lol: then 2 weeks later i think fishing that same pond i was fishing with 2 bobbers took a walk to check out the outlet came back and to my amazement there was 3 bobbers out there and one moving. :shock: wasnt long another started moving and i started retreiving that line and to my surprise i had a nice brookie tangled up in my line the same brookie that swam by wayne a week ago. got my bobber back and hook and released the brookie back in the pond. wayne and i then started hitting some roadside ponds for trout and did very well on occasion . then soon i was heading down to the lake spin casting for salmon and browns sometimes in may and june. also was going to test the new casting honeybee for jim and it wasnt no surprise to me they catch fish and cast very well and will be good trolling also. the salmon bite was a slow start where i normally fish so i had to do some scouting with the help of some forum members that were trolling the area. once i did the fun started and the salmon bite was on fire. right into june the salmon were still active in 2 to 8 fow. :o then hairbone, jimmer, and others started asking me to go out trolling with them. what a blast that was ist time out with harry i lost what we thought when we saw it jump 2 or 3 times a 10 lb plus salmon that broke me off. harry and i had a great day that day and every time we went out. i even lassoed a salmon that day and i hope to post the pic later. then out with jimmer and ed out first trip what a blast that was as i saw all the hits and jimmer and ed would just shake there heads and would eventually grab the right rod and fish on. :lol: we caught plenty of salmon and lakers that day but they didnt compare to all the laughs we had. to end that day on a funny note we started reeling in the rods to go and ed says i got a bunch of weeds on this rod i said ed are they coming up ed says no so i tell ed then you got a laker on ed just looked at me funny and then he got his line in closer and he says not weeds a nice laker. :o we were laughing all the way in to the boat launch. brought jimmer down shore casting for salmon 1 evening and what hits jimmers lure 10 feet from shore but a 40 inch 15 lb pike. you talk about startled wow this was chaos. i grabbed the net and every time the pike would get close it would shoot out with jimmer just backing up as he went out. dont know how many times i attempted to put it in the net but seemed like forever. finally got it in the net and swung it up and over to jimmer who i think was at least 6 feet back from shore now. we gave each other the high fives and jimmer just landed his biggest pike ever casting for salmon. there was alot more interesting outings these ist 6 months and cant post everything but would like to thank all forum members for their help . to many to list on here it was a great ist 6 months of 2016. will post some pics. failed to mention me testing the new casting honey bees for jim . they turned out just as expected the salmon crushed them and casting them with even 12 lb trilene big game was good.
a nice salmon
Imageimage uploading site
frostbite bobber
Imagescreen shot on windows
harry with a nice laker took wayne and i out.Imageimages upload
harry reeling one in
Imagescreenshot on pc
jimmer and i at port henry boat launch
Imageimage hosting over 2mb
chaos 1 catfish on each rod and im alone.
Imagefree photo hosting

Image20mb image hosting
Last edited by fishy1 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:20 am, edited 16 times in total.
fishy1

Re: 2016 RECAP OF MY FISHING REPORTS. jan.-june

Post by fishy1 »

here is the brookie that took my bobber 2 weeks prior.
Imageimage sharing sitesImagefree picture upload
here is ed with his laker that he thought was weeds on his line.Imageadult photo sharing
here i am with my biggest brown.
here is jimmer with his 15lb 2 ounce pike.
Imagephoto storage
here is jimbow with a nice salmon caught in a river in 2016Imagefree image hostingImageadult image
here is vt matt with a nice river salmon.Imagefree adult image hosting
here is harry with his biggest sheephead ever. a fun day.Imagephoto hosting sites
here is wayne with a nice 20 inch pond brown.

here i am with a tail wrapped salmon out with harry.
Imageimage hosting without registration
this is jack from china i fished with a few times even though it was december of 2015 i feel i need to include his pic on here as a forum member.
Imageimage upload no limit
here is jeff a freinds nephew from alaska who is a guide there with his ist ever brown trout.
Imagehosting images
here is vt matt fighting a salmon on his fly rod.
Imageimage url
me with a nice salmon in february.
Imagefree image uploader
jimmer and ed on a trolling trip in may.
Imagefree picture upload
Last edited by fishy1 on Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:36 am, edited 7 times in total.
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Nice recap of your 2016 fishing adventures. i would love a recap of your pan and cat fishing also i tried to count the fish you caught this past summer but lost track. Traci and i went to the frostbite shootout this fall in hopes to meet you and she had a big container of European night crawlers for you. we looking forward to meeting you and other forum members this year so to you and all others we wish for a wonderful 2017
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Nice re-cap Matt, we got to do more fishing this year. Your tales on the water are never dull. See you on the water or ice soon...best wishes for the up-coming year.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:Nice recap of your 2016 fishing adventures. i would love a recap of your pan and cat fishing also i tried to count the fish you caught this past summer but lost track. Traci and i went to the frostbite shootout this fall in hopes to meet you and she had a big container of European night crawlers for you. we looking forward to meeting you and other forum members this year so to you and all others we wish for a wonderful 2017
going to recap the last 6 months of 2016 by tommorrow. still hashing out pics for the ist 6 months.
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

Great times for sure! Looking forward to some ice fishing with you
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks Matt for your recap. Always delighted to read your posts.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
fishy1

Re: 2016 RECAP OF MY FISHING REPORTS. jan.-june added july-dec

Post by fishy1 »

july is usually a good pan fish month for me plus catfish bowfins sheepheads in my 12 foot jon boat. started out with a drought and low water and warm water and continued right through the summer. so much that with any wind at all i would have a super hard time rowing through the weeds which i named it the jungle. i had to row out along ways to fish this summer as there wasnt many holes to fish in with all of the weed cover. but i managed to still get into fish every time i got out there i would sometimes set out a cat rod and use my worm rod for pan fish.. was looking to get into ghost the big catfish that broke my wifes 15 lb test line and also took my glow stick cat rod for a long ride luckily it floats. anyhow the pan fish were everywhere in the 8 to 14 fow because of the jungle weeds. wayne would come down with me occasionally and fish for cats and fins. he was especially amazed with the amount of big fish surfaceing most of the day and even saw the ghost once or twice with that great big head. wayne said he never seen a show like the carp put on most of the morning when i rowed in close to shore for him to watch. :D caught lots of panfish sunnies and yellows and some whites but always move when they come around. one morning i was out in 10 or 12 fow and using 2 worm rods one dragging bottom and one set under the boat. sometime in the morning i casted out my worm rod went to set it down and before i know it something yanks it right out of my hands and it flys out of the boat sinking and moving at a fast rate. searched for a couple of hours dragging bottom for my shimano rod and reel but never recovered it. my mind kept thinking that was ghost the catfish i have been chasing for 2 years and this time my rod doesnt float. well 2 weeks later i was anchored about 100 yards from there to the north and my rod under the boat doubled over and slammed the side of the boat and let loose. started to pull the line in but was stuck on something like the anchor rope. so i started to pull up the anchor and saw my green line rapped around the anchor rope kept lifting and what i then saw shocked me there was not only my line caught on it but also wrapped around my shimano rod and reel i lost 2 weeks ago. on my hook was a 2 scales as big as a quarter so then i knew it wasnt ghost the catfish. i named this guy brute and challenged him for 4 weeks after but never hooked

up. dont know if its a sturgeon or a monster of a carp but i do know i have never felt that much power in a fish before not even in my ocean fishing and i have landed some big 10 lb plus bluefish. to finish the summer i did really well with the catfish but not as good with the bowfins because of the jungle. my worst days for pan fish were still a good mess and lots of filleting. took lots out of the freezer and added them to freinds and family with their christmas presents. yum yum. then it was on to pond fishing trout in september. like this time of year because the water cools and the trout are in the spawning mood and become aggressive. a fun time to walk back in the woods for pond fishing 1 mile to 3.2 miles. so peaceful and beautiful scenery this time of the year. i did very well with the brookies so well had to bring in more dillies than im used to. then trout season closed oct 15th in ny so i turned to shore fishing for lakers and it was up and down compared to 2015 fall. again low water and warmer water added to our woes. jim (tamiron) finally sent my casting honey bees to me that i tested in the fall of 2015 and spring of 2016 . what a surprise that was a few days later i put on my favorite color 1 for champlain and landed 6 lakers missed some

and lost 1 or 2. i didnt even know it until i posted that jim had named that casting honey bee after me fishy1. i would like to thank jim and jimbow for the honor of that lure named for me as my family and freinds are grateful also. my 6 year old granddaughter said pa pa i want a fishy1 for christmas you are the best . jimbow was involved with communicating with me for jim. anyhow the lakers slowed so a few days later i put the fishy1 back on and wow had freight train hit and i landed 6 more lakers until i put the fishy1 on i was skunked. it was unbeleivable how they crushed it. now i have to replace it because some paint chipped fighting the lakers on shore in the rocks. fmb tackle in port henry has the only honeybees so he said he was going to put in an order soon. then november came and also going to hit some tribuataries for salmon and browns. low water warm water and not much action. a downward fall and same as laker fishing because of the drought and low water. december wasnt much better did pick up some nice lakers but on the fall in the tribs landed only 3 salmon and 2 browns. wayne caught a couple of nice browns but that was it for him. now its january 2nd and still up,and down fishing seems like the salmon left the river this winter. had lots of fun and caught my share of fish these past 6 months and even saw an increase in eels. just to much to remember and will miss some good things but will add pics soon.
a nice sunnie
Imageupload a gif
one of many catfish
Imageupload image online free

spawning catfish in tires i landed 1 female 17 lbs released her and then left all of them alone to spawn.Imagefree image hosting
a nice tench fish
Imagejpg images
a nice male pond brookie
Imageimg host
bushwhack trout pond in the fall
Imagefree image uploader
wayne with a nice 20 inch brown from a champlain trib.
Imageimag
a nice catch of yellows on the crown point pier
Imageimage uploadingint_pier_003.jpg[/img][/url]photo hosting sites
a nice laker i landed on the fishy1
Imageimage uploading
fishy1 honeybee casting/trolling lure.
Imagephoto uploading
salmon-crazy )eric) with a laker
Imageimage upload with preview
10 different honeybee casting/trolling lures
Imageupload gif
one days catch of fillets whites,yellows, and sunnies minus the bellies. yum yumImagephoto upload sites
the ist laker i landed on the fishy1 honeybee
Imagephoto hosting
Last edited by fishy1 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:17 am, edited 20 times in total.
Registered Kayak
Species: Salmon and the rest

Post by Registered Kayak »

Was a good year of reading your reports. Made me change up my species quite a few times from just reading about warm water fishing. Thanks for making a fishing forum what it is Matt. Can't wait for 2017 reports.
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

I'm with Mark your reports are informative and fun to read and i also look foreword to your 2017 reports
Targa V18
Species: lake trout/Salmon

Post by Targa V18 »

Very nice re-cap Matty. I can't wait to get back out there and do it all over again. Couldn't of had such a good catch without ya and I only put on about 15lbs. with all the donuts!!!!!! Hoping for another healthy and successful season!!!!! Thanks again.......
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks Matt for the recap. Your reports are always a pleasure to read.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Reel fun
Species: Lake trout,salmon

Post by Reel fun »

Nice recap matty, hopfully we will do more fun adventures again this year, maybe even get some fish for the tournimants,instead of them breaking us off.lots of fun memories.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Re: 2016 RECAP OF MY FISHING REPORTS. jan.-jan. more photos added 1/5 2016

Post by tamiron »

Matt:

Great job and thanks for all your help! /.Jim
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Mr. Gill
Species: Bluegills

Re: 2016 RECAP OF MY FISHING REPORTS. jan.-jan. more photos added 1/5 2016

Post by Mr. Gill »

Matt...Great 2016 report. Thanks for all the panfish info. Hope to fish with you again this spring. You have an open invitation to fish with me in my boat any time.