fishing for catfish and bowfins + pan fish updated 10/20/2016

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: fishing for catfish and bowfins and pan fish

Post by fishy1 »

Reelax wrote:Get an 8 foot medium action ugly stick and put 50lb power pro on it. I pulled in a 150lb gator in Florida on that setup. It will handle brute no problem.

Love the saga.. Can't wait till you land him!!
matt i have 7 foot cat rods spooled with 25 lb trilene big game but if i put crawlers on the hook the pan fish would clean the hooks without me even seeing the bite. that is the problem i have been facing. i been catching some big golden shiners out there so maybe put a bobber on the cat rod and a live golden shiner on and see what happens. i would have liked seeing you pulling in that gator. 8-)
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

8/20/2016 set anchors at 6:20 am this morning is 11 fow hopefully in brutes house. 5 mph south wind blowing and looking to get stronger later. started with two rods one for dragging and the other set. ist long cast out towards the channel a good size white perch. from then on until 9 am every cast had a hit sometimes before the sinker even hit bottom. a big school of whites and very aggressive. what a blast with 4 sheephead thrown in. bite slowed out where i was casting so put it straight down under the boat to see what would happen and whites were under the boat to along with sunnies and yellows and bass. the full moon is just going be and its showed today. fish were very aggressive to say the least. wind was picking up and soon after white caps but the anchors held tight. no brute today and no real big fish but lots of action and fun. i have over 100 pan fish in the cooler and released another 50 or so mostly sunnies and yellows. kept all whites that were over 8 inches. most crawlers i have used in one morning this year 48 cut into 3 pieces each. fmb tackle and a freind is sure going to enjoy the fillets im sure.
a pic of the ist white this morning.Imagephoto uploading
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

What do you catch the sheepshead on?
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

keithm87 wrote:What do you catch the sheepshead on?
worms dragging bottom. the big ones have dissapeared from my area since august ist.
mudchuck
Species: perch

Post by mudchuck »

Nice haul Fishy1!
I thought about going out this morning, as it looked like light winds early but the forecast said it was going to get windy, so I stayed home and canned jelly, the blackberries are all coming in.
I've been picking all week and juicing them so needed to get this done before it turned to vinegar.
I'm hoping to get out soon, not been out since I had that overpriced cab repair done, and tomorrow sounds like really harsh wind/waves, so we shall see...
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

fishy1 wrote:
Reelax wrote:Get an 8 foot medium action ugly stick and put 50lb power pro on it. I pulled in a 150lb gator in Florida on that setup. It will handle brute no problem.

Love the saga.. Can't wait till you land him!!
matt i have 7 foot cat rods spooled with 25 lb trilene big game but if i put crawlers on the hook the pan fish would clean the hooks without me even seeing the bite. that is the problem i have been facing. i been catching some big golden shiners out there so maybe put a bobber on the cat rod and a live golden shiner on and see what happens. i would have liked seeing you pulling in that gator. 8-)

Here is the video!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xP9-ZRgIhwA

I could move him as long as he was swimming, but after surfacing right off shore at the end, he saw there were 3 people on shore, he didn't want anything to do with us and turned and walked away on bottom. If I was only person there he may have charged.... Good to have wife around... He looked like 7' total to us...

1st gator I ever fought wearing crocs... :roll:
Matt B
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

thanks matt that was great . hope everyone that looks at this post watches it. what was that lure you were using? would not even want to get his jaws any where near me.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

He hit a stainless 1/4 oz buck tail jig. He hit it on the third cast mostly cause I was pissing him off... He was floating in the bayou where I was fishing reds.
Matt B
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

8/22/2016 set anchors out in 13 fow only for a short time as the wind picked up and gusty after setting anchors fifteen minutes later. rowed to shore in 2 feet of water for catfish. found a hole in the jungle and protected from the northwest wind set one cat rod out and one worm rod. wasnt long i landed 3 big lake bullhead on the crawlers. fished this spot for 3 hours with no runs 7 bullhead and 3 eels. at 6:20 am on my way out to the broad lake i saw a fish bust water all the way out which from where i was to where he was over a 1/4 mile out there it could have been brute. it was dark color and big to say the least. texted a freind who sometimes comes over and fish catfish with me said remember the beast we saw out there a few years ago its probably the same one i named brute. at that time we both said a musky or a sturgeon. at that time it didnt leap out of the water just was swimming on the surface. this morning it came completely out of the water .
pic of the ist bullhead i landed this morning notice how calm it is in the jungle while the main lake was taking a beating with the wind.

Imagegreenshot
ist eel one of the 3 bet the sawyers would have loved these.

Imagetemporary image hosting
Last edited by fishy1 on Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

(Yes, they would) I look at the back ground in your pic to see if i can find a land mark so i can find the eel hole LOL. we have ben working on our fish camp on grand Isle so not much fishing lately. We will get the bass boat out and go south for eels and cats ASAP. If any one knows were we might find some eels up in the Islands we would be grateful for some advice.
fishy have you been eating any of your bullhead? We went up east creek this spring fishing bullhead and it was dead no luck at all normally we could catch buckets of them.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:(Yes, they would) I look at the back ground in your pic to see if i can find a land mark so i can find the eel hole LOL. we have ben working on our fish camp on grand Isle so not much fishing lately. We will get the bass boat out and go south for eels and cats ASAP. If any one knows were we might find some eels up in the Islands we would be grateful for some advice.
fishy have you been eating any of your bullhead? We went up east creek this spring fishing bullhead and it was dead no luck at all normally we could catch buckets of them.
come on down and catch all the eels you want. im below the champlain bridge about 2 miles off the bridge road. the water is stained in there just right for bullhead eels and catfish. 2 to 3 fow.
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Are you on the Ticonderoga side of the bridge?
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

The water changes to stain a little south of the bridge as the water gets shallower and the clay bottom gets worked up. Also do you think Bulwagga bay would have eels and cats enough to spend some time trying?
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:The water changes to stain a little south of the bridge as the water gets shallower and the clay bottom gets worked up. Also do you think Bulwagga bay would have eels and cats enough to spend some time trying?
i am only about two miles south of the bridge on the ny side. i am in a bay with jungle weeds this year with a clay bottom and the water stained good for bullhead and eels. anywhere down through this part of the lake holds eels and bullhead. bullwagga bay probably has eels now to but the water is clear there and you would probably need to fish at night. come on down.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

8/23/2016 set out at 6 am for some sheephead fishing and looking for brute but never got out there very windy and 2 footers already at 6:15 am. settled in for some bullhead fishing and catfishing.. landed 2 bullhead before 7 am and then nothing until i went home at 10:30 am. i did land one yellow perch and one blue gill. ist time ever out fishing i saw 2 eels this morning surface. never saw that before wonder if anyone else has ever seen it. could have been the same eel they were like 1/2 hour apart. :o