fishing for catfish and bowfins + pan fish updated 10/20/2016

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: fishing for catfish and bowfins and pan fish

Post by fishy1 »

6/22/2016 went over to my jon boat fishing with 1 rod for catfish and bowfins and 1 rod for pan fish. started fishing at 6:45 am with some good action with bluegills. 8 am had a nice run screaming 150 feet of line out towards the center of the lake and the channel. got down to almost a bare spool and closed the bail setting the hook and nothing. pulled it in and no bait. 8:45 am raining hard headed to shore and home. had a good mess of gills to fillet. i was set up today in 15 feet of water with some vegetation on bottom.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

6/24/2016 went out in jon boat and set the anchors in 12 foot of water. one rod for catfish and the other for catfish and bowfins. started fishing at 7:15 am and from that point to 12:20 pm my worm rod never once went without a bite. just an amazin bite this morning. landed a cooler full of white perch 9 inches and up and a cooler full of yellows and sunfish. lots went back to the water to grow or live another day. also landed 9 bass 5 sheephead and 7 bullhead. all underneath the boat. they were attacking even when i was reeling in fish. no runs today but i guess it didnt matter. :D
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

6/24/2016 evening run for some cat fishing and bowfin fishing and pan fish. started fishing at 6:15 pm and the bite was still there for the pan fish even though i was 3 feet shallower. 6:50 pm i was surprised i had a run. it kept taking line a little at a time so im thinking bowfin and where is he. then it stopped so i dropped the rod back down and waited five minutes and nothing. picked up the rod later tightened up the line and i felt a tug and fish on. to my surprise i landed a 19 inch big mouth bass. it had my pumpkinseed right down its stomach. cut the line and decided to take it home to eat. put new hooks on the cat rod put another seed on and threw it out . it wasnt 2 minutes and it took off and stopped and go many times. set the hook and nothing but it got my seed.. threw back out and before it hit bottom the line took off and fish on and a fighter. got it almost to the net and it took a nose dive and let loose. a big bowfin at least 10 lbs plus. two more runs before i went home at 8:10 pm and landed 2 fins around 8lbs. had a good mess of pan fish to fillet also.
bass that ate my pumpkinseed.Imagehow to print screen on pc
9 inch bluegill

Imagephoto uploader
Mr. Gill
Species: Bluegills

Post by Mr. Gill »

fishy1 wrote:6/24/2016 went out in jon boat and set the anchors in 12 foot of water. one rod for catfish and the other for catfish and bowfins. started fishing at 7:15 am and from that point to 12:20 pm my worm rod never once went without a bite. just an amazin bite this morning. landed a cooler full of white perch 9 inches and up and a cooler full of yellows and sunfish. lots went back to the water to grow or live another day. also landed 9 bass 5 sheephead and 7 bullhead. all underneath the boat. they were attacking even when i was reeling in fish. no runs today but i guess it didnt matter. :D
Matt,
Well, unfortunately I never made it over to Champlain for panfish. Just too many things going on. Next week I have a conflict, too. So, I was thinking about the 1st week in July. Do you think the panfish bite will last till then? Even if its only whites, I'd come over and give it a try. I'd love to have some action like you had.
John
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

john: ill keep you updated. went again this morning and went 5 feet deeper to see what would happen . the bite was just as strong and the yellows were bigger had several 12 and 13 inchers. same mix sunnies yellows and whites with some big bass thrown in. let me know when you are able to make the trip and ill try and go out with you in your new boat. i would have fun just watching you popping for the sunnies.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Hey fishy give me a call and let me know if you are going out for an afternoon again, I might pop up with my little boat and join you for some panfish action....Jimbow
Adkhare
Species: All of em

Post by Adkhare »

Keep telling everyone about the panfish and you'll soon be surrounded by fish hogs filling their coolers top the top ....sometime less is more that applies to fishing reports also...just saying :?
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Adkhare wrote:Keep telling everyone about the panfish and you'll soon be surrounded by fish hogs filling their coolers top the top ....sometime less is more that applies to fishing reports also...just saying :?
thanks for your imput and i know what your saying but i have given careful thought to this. champlain is a big lake with lots of room for many fisherman and their are tons of fish to be caught. its a great fisherie for over 85 species of fish for all of us to enjoy. sent you a pm.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

6/26 and 6/27 2016. very windy conditions both days today worse than yesterday. got out sunday in 10 foot of water and did fairly well with pan fish mostly sunnies though. had a tough time holding anchors down with the south wind. this morning i couldnt get out at all and fished in the jungle for cats and fins. took me an hour finding a big enough hole in the weeds to get my 2 cat rods in. my fish hawk said 4 foot of water and water temperature 71 degrees. finally brought my fish hawk with me. fished 3 hours with only one run but had a blast watching big carp and sheepheads swim by and under the boat. some were just plain beasts. tried to get pics but i just wasnt quick enough. :o
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

fishy1 wrote:
Adkhare wrote:Keep telling everyone about the panfish and you'll soon be surrounded by fish hogs filling their coolers top the top ....sometime less is more that applies to fishing reports also...just saying :?
thanks for your imput and i know what your saying but i have given careful thought to this. champlain is a big lake with lots of room for many fisherman and their are tons of fish to be caught. its a great fisherie for over 85 species of fish for all of us to enjoy. sent you a pm.
My hat is off to you fishy!

It is a very big lake and will only get better as more outside money is spent by successful anglers. Two of the biggest sport fish attractions, lake trout and salmon, are a put and take fishery that can only be described as world class and unsustainable without outside money. If anyone doubts this, ask the DNR. The major effort should not be secrecy, but rather release of selective information that will allow "lake newbies" to be somewhat successful and for more and more anglers to learn how to make their hobby fruitful.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

Last week we had a 12" white perch eat a 3" sunny.... my son likes to catch gills on a bare hook, and watching the fish fight over it is funny to watch. Lots of pan fish to go around
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

Your account is almost one year old with only two posts, it seems you may be one of the ones that takes alot more out of this forum than he puts in? ;)
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

In my experience, panfish populations suffer when they are not harvested. Their numbers explode and they become stunted because of too many fish for the forage base. Just fish the Cut at the Colchester Fill. Huge pressure, never a complaint about catch rates.
Targa V18
Species: lake trout/Salmon

Post by Targa V18 »

I just went and bought a new cooler!!!!!! Where ya fishin' ??????? LOL
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

Targa V18 wrote:I just went and bought a new cooler!!!!!! Where ya fishin' ??????? LOL
X2. Count me in jimmer...we'll bring 2 55 gallon drums and Matty can clean them all :D