fishing for catfish and bowfins + pan fish updated 10/20/2016

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
Matt
Species: Any

Re: fishing for catfish and bowfins and pan fish

Post by Matt »

Gecha (Gerry) wrote:
Matt wrote:Good to see the reports still coming in Matt. I had some Lake fun before I fractured my foot a few weeks ago with bowfin, gar and panfish on flies. Now I'm stuck home watching videos and reading reports. Nice fish!
Sorry to hear about your misfortune Matt. Wishing you a speedy recovery. We miss your fishing reports.
Thanks!

I've had a lot of stuff going on and it doesn't seem like I ever have time to sit in front of my computer anymore. On top of that, my main computer I built ~10 years ago needs to be replaced. I ended up with a corrupt HDD and lost thousands of pictures as well. I mostly use my phone for all of my postings and emails now, so writing up long blog posts on a phone is not really fun! I made an Instagram account (tightlinevt) to keep things simple until I can get back to the blog but even that I have trouble keeping it up to date with how much I fished. Now that I'm laid up I'll probably catch up though.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Posing for fish1. Kitty cat
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

6/13/2016 thanks raz for posting the pic of a catfish i landed even before i got my other rod set. my battery on my canon eos battery was dead so i took the pic on my phone and sent it to raz. well i started fishing at 5:45 pm and at 5:50 pm i landed this 31 inch catfish . took a pic released it and put another bait on it . then got my 2nd catfish rod out 6:15 pm another strong run and i landed another catfish 27 inches and released it. then 6:40 pm another strong run and a powerful one as i could feel the weight of the fish as it was moving through the heavy weeds. it was heading to shore and was picking up speed looked down at my spool and it was time to close the bail because i was running out of line. as i closed the bail the fish still on a mission just kept going and let go,. pulled in my line only to find he broke the hook off in its mouth. set it back up and through it out and no more runs had to leave at 7:30 pm because of a strong west wind and heavy rain. a fun one hour and 45 minutes for sure. :D
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Matt wrote:Good to see the reports still coming in Matt. I had some Lake fun before I fractured my foot a few weeks ago with bowfin, gar and panfish on flies. Now I'm stuck home watching videos and reading reports. Nice fish!
thanks matt. hope you get better soon and you can come over and join me for some catfishing out in my jon boat. while you were texting me tonight out in the boat i visioned you out there trying to land one of those big cats in heavy weeds with your fly rod. :lol: i was fishing in 4 foot of water and clear but was right on the edge of stained water.
Targa V18
Species: lake trout/Salmon

Post by Targa V18 »

fishy1 wrote:6/13/2016 thanks raz for posting the pic of a catfish i landed even before i got my other rod set. my battery on my canon eos battery was dead so i took the pic on my phone and sent it to raz. well i started fishing at 5:45 pm and at 5:50 pm i landed this 31 inch catfish . took a pic released it and put another bait on it . then got my 2nd catfish rod out 6:15 pm another strong run and i landed another catfish 27 inches and released it. then 6:40 pm another strong run and a powerful one as i could feel the weight of the fish as it was moving through the heavy weeds. it was heading to shore and was picking up speed looked down at my spool and it was time to close the bail because i was running out of line. as i closed the bail the fish still on a mission just kept going and let go,. pulled in my line only to find he broke the hook off in its mouth. set it back up and through it out and no more runs had to leave at 7:30 pm because of a strong west wind and heavy rain. a fun one hour and 45 minutes for sure. :D
Sounds like you had a good evening! Thanks for the pic. of that nice cat. That storm was crazy!!! We were driving home from Plattsburgh and I never see it rain so hard.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

jimmer that rain and wind came up so fast i didnt make it to my pickup parked less than 100 yards away. i had a fun night though even though it was cut short. ill be back at it in the morning.
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

Great read matt! Next thing you know it you will be using tuna gear on these beasts :D. Making it a mission to get my kids on a nice cat this year
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Hairbone wrote:Great read matt! Next thing you know it you will be using tuna gear on these beasts :D. Making it a mission to get my kids on a nice cat this year
we will surely get your kid onto the catfish action and the fin action also. lots of fun and yes you need to use tuna gear where im fishing. :lol:
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

6/14/2016 went over this morning set up with catfish rods ready for some action. that didnt happen until 3 hours later with my ist run and not much of a run either. the line went slack after the initial 5 feet run and then nothing. put the rod down and the line and tightened up the line a little and it wouldnt tighten up so im guessing fish on. kept reeling and got nearly all in and my rod doubled over fish on and right under the boat. what a battle trying to get him from under the boat and the heavy weeds. finally landed it a 9 lb plus fin with lots of spunk. then from 10:30 am to 11:30 am 5 runs landed 3 fat fins and missed two. one might have been a catfish. as the water warmed up this morning the fish turned on.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

6/15/2016 got over to my jon boat at 7 am with my plan to fish one rod for catfish and fins and one rod for pan fish. the big sunfish were on fire but the the fins and cats were not. around 11 am had a big fish hit my crawler under the boat and bent the hook out and went on his way. the funny thing seconds later my cat rod started peeling off the reel like crazy. before i know it i was almost out of line and i could see the bare spots on the spool. closed the bail in a hurry set the hook and nothing. the culprit stole my bait. 125 yards of 20 lb big game line. im thinking it was a big catfish as it ran my line out in an incredible speed. this is normally the runs catfish make and never stop. brought home some big sunfish for the frying pan. :)
cpmaple
Species: salmon,lakers and catfish

Post by cpmaple »

Great read matt keep after them the lci is just around the corner.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

6/6/2016 wayne came down and joined me for some catfishing and pan fishing. a very slow start with not much of anything cooperating . some nice gills we caught but not alot and they wernt aggressive. around ten am waynes worm rod doubled over and he set the hook very hard and snap 12 lb line broke off. the fish hit right under the boat in 4 foot of water so there wasnt much give. all wayne could say is big fish big fish. :lol: i decided to move in heavy weeds around 11 am after letting wayne watch the bonanza carp explosion on shore. wayne has never witnessed that before. around 11:3o am there was a little north wind and it was blowing in surface weeds on to our lines. pulled my cat rod and threw it back out and as soon as it hit i saw a big catfish head surface never touched my bait but a minute or so later my line started peeling off the reel and kept stopping and going after running out about 75 feet of line. i said to wayne pull on the rods in the boat because i think its fin and he might be anywhere because the line stopped. after he got them in up came that beast of a catfish again but not on my line. set the hook and nothing kept reeling and kept setting the hook finally caught up with him he was up in front of the boat where wayne was got him up near the boat and he broke the hook off with a big pile a weeds on him. those fins are smart and know how to navigate your line around those big weeds and bury themselves. wayne was just in disbelief he said that would have broke his spinning rod and i said yup . then the ghost (catfish) which we named 2 years ago and was putting on a show right next to the boat we should have videod it but never thought. he is a beast and a smart one and wayne and i will challenge him again friday. the ghost broke my wifes spinning rod over to camp while she was fishing perch and it broke my sons spinning rod when he was fishing gills. last year it took my rod right out of the boat and had to go chase it and finally caught up with it a quarter mile away and it was a glow stick rod so it floated. tried to get him off the bottom as he burrowed in the weeds but straightened the hook right out and he got loose. my granddaughter named him ghost. wayne saw it today and just couldnt get over it. :o
Last edited by fishy1 on Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Targa V18
Species: lake trout/Salmon

Post by Targa V18 »

Now I know who the ghost is that you have been relating to!!! I was a little worried that perhaps you were seeing Ghost's from the old Fort ruins while fishing. This makes me feel better lol.
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

Sounds like a bunch of rag time, malarky, just plain old bs :D. You better get yourself a bigger boat :mrgreen:
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

6/17/2016 wayne and i set out today with 2 cat rods a piece hoping to tangle with ghost but he never showed. 5 hours of fishing wayne had 3 runs landed 2 bowfins his ist and 2nd and lost one. i never had a run until 11 am and it broke me off. my fault drag was locked and grabbed the wrong rod this morning it had bad line on it from last year. it was a nice fin and when i set the hook it was very close to the boat and it actually pulled the boat wayne said. i took a picture of the the type of weeds he was in and the area we are fishing. close to being an underwater jungle.

jungle weedsImage
screenshot windows