fishing for catfish and bowfins + pan fish updated 10/20/2016

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: fishing for catfish and bowfins and pan fish

Post by fishy1 »

Hairbone wrote:
Targa V18 wrote:I just went and bought a new cooler!!!!!! Where ya fishin' ??????? LOL
X2. Count me in jimmer...we'll bring 2 55 gallon drums and Matty can clean them all :D
you guys are funny. :lol:
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

6/28/2016 went over to the jungle and tried my luck for carp since i have seen plenty swimming under the boat. set up a cat rod with a little slip sinker and a hook filled up with corn. found a hole in 4 feet of water and fished for pan fish with my worm rod. saw several carp early swim under the boat but nothing real big than saw 2 big ones busting water approx 30 yards away. then none until around 10 am and 2 big ones were right next to my boat and they were just suspended there reached in my pocket grabbed my camera carefully looked back down and they swam away. no luck on my carp set up today but managed lots of nice sunnies. funny when those carp swim under the boat those sunnies dont even swim away.
Targa V18
Species: lake trout/Salmon

Post by Targa V18 »

Hairbone wrote:
Targa V18 wrote:I just went and bought a new cooler!!!!!! Where ya fishin' ??????? LOL
X2. Count me in jimmer...we'll bring 2 55 gallon drums and Matty can clean them all :D

He probably would Harry!!!!! And not even complain about it.
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

Targa V18 wrote:
Hairbone wrote:

My buddy Dan saw him lurking around with a mess of panfish last week..... better watch out, he is gonna single handedly clean out all of the hot spots :lol: one 3 0z fish at a time :lol:

I hope we get some ice this year and we can put together a smeltathon out on the ice.
Targa V18

Post by Targa V18 »

Hairbone wrote:
Targa V18 wrote:
Hairbone wrote:

My buddy Dan saw him lurking around with a mess of panfish last week..... better watch out, he is gonna single handedly clean out all of the hot spots :lol: one 3 0z fish at a time :lol:

I hope we get some ice this year and we can put together a smeltathon out on the ice.
Smeltathon would have to much impact on the smelt!!!!! Catch and release maybe.... :lol:
Hairbone

Post by Hairbone »

Adkhare wrote:Keep telling everyone about the panfish and you'll soon be surrounded by fish hogs filling their coolers top the top ....sometime less is more that applies to fishing reports also...just saying :?
Where's that hot spot???? Just got in from picking 50 + lively crawlers. Son said it was more fun than playing video games!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

bullwagga bay anywhere south of the bridge in 1 to 15 feet of water. prepare for a good mix of whites yellows and sunnies. also a few big bass thrown in sheephead and more. hard to beleive someone is picking crawlers this day and age. :o
KIDS WILL HAVE A BLAST BRINGING MY GRANDDAUGHTER OUT THIS WEEK.
Last edited by fishy1 on Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hairbone

Post by Hairbone »

fishy1 wrote:bullwagga bay anywhere south of the bridge in 1 to 15 feet of water. prepare for a good mix of whites yellows and sunnies. also a few big bass thrown in sheephead and more. hard ton beleive someone is picking crawlers this day and age. :o
KIDS WILL HAVE A BLAST BRINGING MY GRANDDAUGHTER OUT THIS WEEK.
Have to teach the kids some of the old ways :mrgreen: We picked worms from a school yard my dad showed me 40 years ago! I tried to buy crawlers from the Amish last Saturday in Ogdensburg and everyone was sold out :cry:
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

headed out this morning with a slight wind and able to get out in the 11 feet of water. set my fish hawk down and water temperature on the bottom 67 degrees at 6:30 am. set up a cat rod and a worm rod. started real slow as the ist hour only produced 4 sunnies. then it srarted to pick up and started catching a mix of whites yellows and sunnies. then at 8:45 am finally a run on my cat rod and fish on and i land a nice catfish. lot easier getting them to the net out beyond the jungle weeds. pan fish picking up and getting into them steady. then at 9:20 am another run on the cat rod and i lnad another catfish small though maybe 7lbs but at least 2 for 2. quit at 11:40 am getting hot with no breeze so i called it a day. had a good mess of pan fish to fillet as well . both cats released to live another day.
the ist cat this morning.Imageimage hosting 30 mb
Hairbone

Post by Hairbone »

I swear I see the crumbs from a box of Freighoffers in the bottom of that boat :mrgreen: keep the reports comming Matt !
Adkhare
Species: All of em

Post by Adkhare »

Matt wrote:
Adkhare wrote:Keep telling everyone about the panfish and you'll soon be surrounded by fish hogs filling their coolers top the top ....sometime less is more that applies to fishing reports also...just saying :?
Your account is almost one year old with only two posts, it seems you may be one of the ones that takes alot more out of this forum than he puts in? ;)

Have better things to do than sit at computer......like fish :D usually only get on here to see pics of fish just hate seeing a small fish kept because it meets a minimum requirement and brings in 20 cents a pound to sell. I remember when crappies were more plentiful than now with no limit or size fearful other species will suffer same fate from sales. Take to eat great just don't agree with sale of fish, consider if it was beautiful trout being sold from 9" and up for change. Just my opinion
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

adkhare thanks for following up on the post. i appreciate it and i know where your coming from. if you are from ny you must know that crappies cant be sold out of ny. vermont still allows it. where i am fishing white perch and sunnies are very plentiful and no matter where or what depth im fishing there are plenty. when i am fishing pan fish i am very selective and keep only ones for eating for my family and freinds. on the gills i dont keep any females this time of the year. also the guys that come up and fish with me are pretty much catch and release even with pan fish. i think today most fisherman are very selective even the ones that sell them all year. buying and selling fish has been a business for years even when i was growing up the smelt trains used to pick up thousands of lbs of smelt to the fish markets. buying and selling fish isnt going to go away .
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Hairbone wrote:I swear I see the crumbs from a box of Freighoffers in the bottom of that boat :mrgreen: keep the reports comming Matt !
there might be some but there pretty much mixed up in the clay. the water is so low that i am walking off the beach where my boat is an walking through the clay mud to push my boat out and get in it. i think those crumbs today were cheese crackers and donuts. :lol:
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

im heading out this morning for some pan fishing and cat fishing and jimbow is making the long trip up here to join me . will let you know tonight how we made out.
Targa V18

Post by Targa V18 »

fishy1 wrote:im heading out this morning for some pan fishing and cat fishing and jimbow is making the long trip up here to join me . will let you know tonight how we made out.
Good luck!!!! Donuts are a fisherman's most important item!!!! Don't try to get on my boat without them LOL.