fishing for catfish and bowfins + pan fish updated 10/20/2016

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
Sawyer
Species: All

Re: fishing for catfish and bowfins and pan fish

Post by Sawyer »

Thanks Fishy we will let you know when we come south to my old stomping grounds. Never seen an eel on the surface even when the lake had a big population back in the 70's. Good luck with brute.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

8/24/2016 strong winds again this morning kept me in the jungle. searched out 4 or 5 small holes to try without much luck. landed 1 bullhead 1 eel and 1 yellow perch. lots of bait in those holes but no other fish. brute has been safe for the last 3 days maybe he will be hungry when i get back out there. the jungle doesnt seem to be holding any fish now except for a few eels and bullhead. all the holes i fished today were 4 to 5 feet and i could see bottom with clear water. :(
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

8/25/2016 strong winds again this morning for the 4th day in a row couldnt get out again. decided to find a spot in the stained water for maybe some bullhead action as some of my family would like to eat some. depth of water was 3 foot and very stained. from 6:30 am to 10:30 am landed 5 bullhead 3 yellow perch 13 white perch and 12 sunnies. kept only the bullhead. very few bites on bottom mostly just above the sinker right straight down on the side of the boat. the wind was moving the boat a little and they wanted that movement. for 2 days i have been trying to get a pic of a white blue heron and today i did. ist one i think i ever seen.
here it is on shore had to zoom my camera all the way for this pic.Imageupload pics
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

i think your bird is a Great Egret also in the Heron family.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:i think your bird is a Great Egret also in the Heron family.
its with the blue heron family. how can i tell the difference?
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Matt I PM'ed you the info
Mr. Gill
Species: Bluegills

Post by Mr. Gill »

Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

The legs look black to me in your pic if so it's an Egret. if they are a light color it would be a white faze of the blue heron. either one is net to see. thanks for sharing fishy. we had our fish fry tonight white perch/bullhead/small mouth bass all were very tasty went good with fresh corn and tomatoes and white wine
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Mr. Gill wrote:Hey, Matt, were you aware of this:
http://www.syracuse.com/outdoors/index. ... river_home
yes i am thanks . got an official release today to my email from the dec in ny its now official its a new state record and she is a hometown girl. both her father and her uncle challenge the sheephead every chance they get.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:The legs look black to me in your pic if so it's an Egret. if they are a light color it would be a white faze of the blue heron. either one is net to see. thanks for sharing fishy. we had our fish fry tonight white perch/bullhead/small mouth bass all were very tasty went good with fresh corn and tomatoes and white wine
thanks for the info on the great egret and and jimbow also. now i know but still a great pic for me because the egrit must be rare here at least i have never seen one.
sounds like a great dinner to me what no eels? we had a fish fry yesterday all sunnies and i made my cocktail sauce . yum yum. :)
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

No eel yet but if we catch a big one we will. Have you had eel? tell us more about how you prepare the fish to use with your home made cocktail sauce.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:No eel yet but if we catch a big one we will. Have you had eel? tell us more about how you prepare the fish to use with your home made cocktail sauce.
had eel years ago. par boiled them and fried them with my aunt. my wife fries all of our fish in vegetable oil. ist rinses them all off in cold water rolls them in flour and deep fries them or pan fries. i make my cocktail sauce which everyone loves and call it matts secret sauce. heinz catsup is a must and farmers horseradish is a must. mix them up in a plate to your taste. mild or hot. delicious with fried pan fish and shrimp. having some right now with shrimp. :D
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

8/26/2016 took today off due to the rain and its canning tomato time. headed north to have coffee at dunkin donuts with wayne and pick up a bushel or so of tomatos for canning. checked out some rivers for salmon and didnt see any and the water is real low and slow. heading out with hairbone (harry) in the morning for some trolling and jigging for salmon and lakers. hopefully brute sticks around and waits for me. :!:
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

8/28/2016 headed out this morning and set anchors looking for brute. ist cast dragging bottom a nice 4 to 6 lb sheephead then the whites took over almost every cast. with the wind picking up and im taking a beating bouncing at 9 am decided to go back in the jungle for some bullhead fishing. fished bullhead from 9:20 am to 10:30 am with only 3 bites. landed 2 eels and missed on fish. when i got home i filleted 33 white perch. released all yellows and sunnies. no brute but still a good morning on the water. :)
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

Saw your white bird over in Addison on my way back from Burkington.