fishing update trout pond my ist kokanee/brown ever

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: fishing update trout ponds updated 12/25/2018 my sons mounted male brookies

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Beautiful mount... great Christmas present, be proud.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Those look great!
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

4/22/2019 ice went out last friday in one pg my favorite ponds that holds browns and rainbows. thi morning walked the 1.4 mile hike back with my brother mike. also joining us and already in there troutcrazy. within 15 minutes my brother mike says i got one hauls in a nice brown . about half hour went by and i had a good run and a nice fish on but my line was stuck on bottom in rocks fish slipped off a good 3 or 4 lb fish. then a little later another run and line stuck got broke off. so i decided to move down a ways next to my brother. then andric came up and never got a hit casting. adric to a break and we visited then he went back casting lures came back later and he landed 2 rainbows. then i had a run and i land a nice looking rainbow and that would do it for us we had one drop after that. left the pond at 1:30 pm. was great to get back there on a very windy day.Imagetcf bank branch near meImagethe closest bp gas station
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Did you find some snow on your way in? Nice looking fish Matt.
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Post by Bearcat »

Nice rainbow Matt!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

don no snow in there i was surprised but this wasnt a high peaks pond either which are still iced in.
bearcat thanks the rainbows and browns in this pond are beauties one of my favorite ponds to shore fish also.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

nice 'bow!
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

4/24/2019 hit the same trout pond again today with a freind josh after making the 55 minute walk started fishing at 7:15 am with josh using 2 rods and me 3 . josh had a maribou jig on one rod and a bobber with a dillie on i had 3 rods all with sinkers and dillies. josh had a hit the ist 15 minutes there on the and lost a nice brown on the jig. that would be his last hit of the day. i had 3 runs and no takers. we got skunked. ist time for me. windy and cold gusts were at least 25 mph up there and water rising and wind floating big dead trees from shore past us most of the morning . had my hardwater stryker jacket on and was still cold.
fishy1

Re: fishing update trout ponds updated 4/25/2019 my ist kokanee salmon ever

Post by fishy1 »

4/25/2019 headed to a pond today 2. 6 miles back on a mission to catch my ist kokanee salmon ever and mission accomplished. at 8 am got a really fast run peeling of line like no tommorrow. hurried to the rod closed the bail and fish and a kokanee 1 jump 2 jumps 3 jumps and more peeling off my drag to. my freind josh had a little portable net and finally got it in the net. we were both stunned wow what a battle. 25 fow with a sinker on the end of the line and he was to the surface in seconds. mission accomplished these are wild kokanees pond hasnt been stocked in years. had 3 more runs on pulling my rod in the pond absolutly wild just like the kings in the big o. the ImageImagechase hours near meImage
the kokanee was 17 and half inches and the color of the meat dark red just like the alaskan ones . the pic doenst do the color justice it was almost gold with big black spots and lots of silver specs in it.
Ahhspray
Species: Whatever the lake will provide

Post by Ahhspray »

Wow. That's a beautiful fish and a great story. I bet it'll taste great too
Totally rebuilt - 1986 22' Starcraft 220V CC T-top w/ 1986 Evinrude 140hp and 1978 Merc 7.5hp kicker
King Dace
Species: trout

Post by King Dace »

I am sorry to burst your bubble, but that is definitely not a kokanee. I have caught a lot of sockeye in Alaska and kokanee in Washington, and they are solid silvery blue color. I don't know what to tell you about the meat because it does certainly look sockeye-ish, but diet does influence the color, and if it was feeding on something like freshwater shrimp or other crustaceans, you will get pinker/redder meat. Regardless, it's going to be tasty. Maybe some sort of weird hybrid?
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

timberdoodle these are kokanee salmon that were stocked in this pond a few years ago and other ponds in the adirondacks . i know what your saying and i know what they look like but these are some type 0f kokanee salmon stocked by the state and arnt stocked no more. going to ask some questions to the ny dec.
Nysrx01
Species: Trout

Post by Nysrx01 »

I have caught hundreds of kokanees in CT. Just caught 6 of them trolling today. Kokanees have a forked tail not a straight tail like a trout. They are not really much of bait eater. They do like corn and we use the fire tip corn tipped on micro hot pink or chartreuse spinners trolled slow. A lot of the guys fish at night with a light to draw the plankton in which is the main diet for kokanees. They use corn some times dyed with food color.
Adkhare
Species: All of em

Post by Adkhare »

Count the rows of teeth on top of its mouth,think you’ll find 2 rows side by side