Re: fishing update trout ponds 2016

Post by blackfly »

matt has more luck than an 8 leaf clover
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

blackfly wrote:matt has more luck than an 8 leaf clover
I think he has all of those trout named like pets..if you listen closely you hear him calling: "fishy,fishy,fishy"
Targa V18
Species: lake trout/Salmon

Post by Targa V18 »

jimbow wrote:Only you could be that lucky Matt...
His luck rubs off once in a while too jimbow!!!!!! Had a great time with him this evening!!!!!!
Ahhspray
Species: Whatever the lake will provide

Post by Ahhspray »

Hilarious! Always nice to go fishing, catch fish AND tackle ...especially when it belonged to you in the first place!
Totally rebuilt - 1986 22' Starcraft 220V CC T-top w/ 1986 Evinrude 140hp and 1978 Merc 7.5hp kicker
Windknot
Species: Trout, salmon, walleye, bass

Post by Windknot »

Well Matt you looked like you were having so much fun fishing in trout ponds that you inspired me to give it a try. Friday I took the day off work and fished three ponds further up North near Loon Lake and had a great day. Besides the gorgeous weather I landed about a dozen fish and missed 4-5 others. Brought home 4 nice ones including this 12 incher in the photo. I had so much fun that Im going back tomorrow morning to try again. Thanks for your inspiring reports Matt and giving the rest of us ideas how to enjoy the phenomenal fishing we have in the area!
Attachments
P1010576.2.jpg
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

good report. it seems once you get back into those adirondack ponds you just want to get back in there. what are the ponds holding for species that you are fishing? also were you fishing on shore or in a canoe?
Windknot
Species: Trout, salmon, walleye, bass

Post by Windknot »

I fished from shore in my waders which gave me a little better accessibility to deeper water. Yesterday I went back to the same area and bushwhacked for about an hour to finally get to a remote pond. I saw one decent sized fish and a bunch of chub minnows but, despite fishing from different points all around the pond nothing bit. So I headed out and went back to the pond I had fished on Friday and caught a couple of small brookies in the same spot (catch and release) before going home. The crazy part was, Friday it was about 75 degrees and yesterday it snowed in the exact same location! Strange weather this spring...
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Windknot wrote:I fished from shore in my waders which gave me a little better accessibility to deeper water. Yesterday I went back to the same area and bushwhacked for about an hour to finally get to a remote pond. I saw one decent sized fish and a bunch of chub minnows but, despite fishing from different points all around the pond nothing bit. So I headed out and went back to the pond I had fished on Friday and caught a couple of small brookies in the same spot (catch and release) before going home. The crazy part was, Friday it was about 75 degrees and yesterday it snowed in the exact same location! Strange weather this spring...
waders? i sent you a pm. the weather is absolutly unbeleivable. it was snowing around noon today at one of the ponds i fish. north west wind again at 15 mph. im heading into a pond in the morning thinking about going 3 miles back. going to wait until the last minute for the weather report. this pond holds brookies only.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/10/2016 walked back into a pond today 3.2 miles that holds just brookies. started in at 25 degrees with gloves on and my hood over my head. dressed light because it was supposed to warm up early and it did. one hour and 20 minutes later hit the pond. my ist time in this pond looked for a place to fish with a little room on shore. found a ledge that was my best option. threw out my 2 rods one on bottom and one with a bobber both with dillies on. had a bite on the bobber ist ten minutes there but missed. then about an hour later had a good run on the bottom rod and it was peeling the line off. closed the bail after it ran off about 30 yards of line and fish on only to lose it about 25 feet from shore. it was a nice brookie approx. 13 to 15 inches. then 3 loons seemed to want to get in on the action and kept diving out in front of me and spooked the fish. no more hits. 10 am the bugs got so bad i decided to walk out and head home. bugs wernt bad in the woods just at the pond. loons were still out in front of me 2 hours later. i was going to try another spot on the pond but i just couldnt deal with the bugs.
Targa V18

Post by Targa V18 »

fishy1 wrote:5/10/2016 walked back into a pond today 3.2 miles that holds just brookies. started in at 25 degrees with gloves on and my hood over my head. dressed light because it was supposed to warm up early and it did. one hour and 20 minutes later hit the pond. my ist time in this pond looked for a place to fish with a little room on shore. found a ledge that was my best option. threw out my 2 rods one on bottom and one with a bobber both with dillies on. had a bite on the bobber ist ten minutes there but missed. then about an hour later had a good run on the bottom rod and it was peeling the line off. closed the bail after it ran off about 30 yards of line and fish on only to lose it about 25 feet from shore. it was a nice brookie approx. 13 to 15 inches. then 3 loons seemed to want to get in on the action and kept diving out in front of me and spooked the fish. no more hits. 10 am the bugs got so bad i decided to walk out and head home. bugs wernt bad in the woods just at the pond. loons were still out in front of me 2 hours later. i was going to try another spot on the pond but i just couldnt deal with the bugs.
Sounds like the bugs were biting much better than the fish!!!!!!!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/11/2016 hit a pond early this morning that holds rainbows and brookies close to the road. 30 degrees and no wind. set out 2 bobber rigs with dillies. not bobber down for an hour even though i saw several good size rainbows bust water. then about 7:15 am bobber down and no taker. then at 7:45 am bobber down and i landed a small 9 inch rainbow . the rainbow was reproduced there because it was pure silver with a nice bright pink stripe. the ones that are stocked there are 2 year olds and a darker color with very little pink stripes. had to leave for home after that. took a pic of the ledges on the other side of the pond although we had a very mild winter there is still ice formed on the side of the ledges. Image
how to screenshot on windows
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/12/2106 went to same roadside pond this morning as yesterday only alot warmer conditions. tried a different spot on the other side of the hill. not much room but enough for 2 rods one with a bobber and the other with a sinker. i had a blast the 2 hours i was there landed 6 big white suckers that put up a good fight and 16 brookies. the brookies were hungry and grabbing the dillies and running with them . very easy to hook today. all were released except for 3 10 inchers that i kept to eat. saw some big rainbows bust water but never caught 1. very warm conditions and no bugs.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/13/2016 went a little farthur this morning searching for browns and brookies . very windy conditions and had to use both rods with bobbers since the bottom where i was fishing was lots of fallen trees , rocks and so on. i like this spot so i decided to try the bobbers for awhile before moving where i could fish 1 rod on the bottom. ist half hour very quiet and had to keep throwing the rods out because of the gusty wind when all of a sudden both bobbers down took the closest one to the shore and fish on a good one to . about half the distance from the shore it suddenly stopped and my reel would not reel checked everything as quickly as possible but nothing so i opened the bail closed it then suddenly the reel started working but now the line was stuck on a submerged tree. i just left it there hoping the fish would spin it off and it did but at the same time the fish got off. it was a real nice brown or brookie coudnt tell but was at least 14 inches. the other rods bobber was still down all of this time and with a fish on landed a nice 10 inch brookie that had the hook swallowed. put it in my bag with cold water and started fishing . had some more bobber downs but no takers and kept getting stuck with the submerged trees. a fisherman showed up with a canoe and we were talking when he said what do you have in that blue bag i said a brookie that swallowed my hook. he said its not their no more a raven is flying away with it now. yikes. oh well it must have been hungry the fisherman said the raven has a habit of that if you leave anything around as the tourists are always feeding it. then the rain came and wow did it rain. i decided to call it a day but watched the fisherman in his canoe for awhile from the car. he told me that he has been catching some nice browns here especially in the evenings. thinking about heading back there saturday only fishing up farthur where i can also fish on bottom.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/15/2016 went up to a trout pond this morning that holds browns and brookies. arrived at 6:15 am with a very gusty wind and a little rain that soon turned into snow sleet and a mixture. had to go around the other side of the pond to get a little out of the wind. set 2 bobber rigs out and landed a nice 12 inch brook trout within a half hour. then nothing and i was getting very wet so i decided to try another couple of ponds. the 2nd pond holds rainbows and brookies and when i arrived someone was camping where i fish so headed for my 3rd option on a bushwhack trail that holds brookies. got back in there at 10:15 am and fished the west side since it was mostly a west wind. i had to use two bobber rigs because this pond holds some small bullhead. before i even got my 2nd rod out bobber down and i landed a nice 11 inch brookie. then from that point on until 12:30 pm i landed 25 brookies mostly 7 to 9 inches. kept 3 nice brookies for dinner.

upload a picture
Targa V18

Post by Targa V18 »

fishy1 wrote:5/15/2016 went up to a trout pond this morning that holds browns and brookies. arrived at 6:15 am with a very gusty wind and a little rain that soon turned into snow sleet and a mixture. had to go around the other side of the pond to get a little out of the wind. set 2 bobber rigs out and landed a nice 12 inch brook trout within a half hour. then nothing and i was getting very wet so i decided to try another couple of ponds. the 2nd pond holds rainbows and brookies and when i arrived someone was camping where i fish so headed for my 3rd option on a bushwhack trail that holds brookies. got back in there at 10:15 am and fished the west side since it was mostly a west wind. i had to use two bobber rigs because this pond holds some small bullhead. before i even got my 2nd rod out bobber down and i landed a nice 11 inch brookie. then from that point on until 12:30 pm i landed 25 brookies mostly 7 to 9 inches. kept 3 nice brookies for dinner.
Nice post!!!!! I haven't fished a brookie in about 20 yrs. I kinda miss going back into the ponds and doing a little fishing.

upload a picture