fishing update trout pond my ist kokanee/brown ever

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
The River Rat
Species: Anything that swims

Re: fishing update trout ponds updated 4/25/2019 my ist kokanee salmon ever

Post by The River Rat »

Those are some real beauties Matt. Don't care what they call em... absolute Beaut'!
A White
The River Rat

Post by The River Rat »

Screenshot_20190425-213528.png
Screenshot_20190425-213528.png (752.91 KiB) Viewed 22581 times
Picure of a northern browntrout×atlantic salmon hybrid
A White
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

thanks ben what i caught was a salmon/brown hybrid stocked in the 1990,s experimental
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

The River Rat wrote:Screenshot_20190425-213528.png
Picure of a northern browntrout×atlantic salmon hybrid
thanks for that pic it matches my fish perfect dots and all .
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

4/29/2019 headed back into a trout pond today 2.2 miles with a freind josh. 27 degrees and a little wind put my gloves on walking in. josh and i had a bad feeling the bite would not be there in the morning with this cold front. we were right i had never had a run and josh either in 4 plus hours. josh did have a good hit on a thomas buouancy casting. was on for a 2nd a nice fish but had an unltra light no backbone. will try again tommorrow the weather has been terrible and tough getting into the ponds with any distance.
The River Rat

Post by The River Rat »

Sun is coming Matt. Cant wait to see what you get.
A White
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

4/30/2019 headed into a pond again this morning with a freind josh who brought along his canoe . started fishing at 6:30 am with me on shore and josh trolling. the pond holds rainbows and browns and is 2. 2 miles in from the trailhead. at 7:40 am josh yells got a big one on and then silence the fish broke him off with the drag zzzzzzzzzzzzzzing. at 11:20 am i finally had a run and noone home. then at 12:45 pm i have a run and fish on only to spit the hook. ugh. we had to start a fire very cool and it snowed for 2 hours so we were a little wet. nothing rising on the pond all morning. hope this weather breaks soon. the rest of the week is not looking good either.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/6/2019 MISSION ACCOMPLISHED today my freind and i josh went back into a pond for the elusive kokanee salmon . i would fish on shore and josh in his raddison canoe. i had 1 set up with a bobber and 2 rods on bottom with dillies. josh went out trolling with lake clear wobblers and worms. we got in the pond around 6:30 am and at 7:25 am bobber down and noone home stole my dillie. then at 8:15 am bobber down again and noone home stole another dillie. mean time josh had 3 hits trolling and noone home. then around 10 am my bobber started heading for shore at a fast pace hurried to wind in the slack and fish on but only for a few seconds and he was gone. josh came in for a break and a bite to eat and he saw a big fat brown near shore. he then went back out trolling and after about and hour i saw him reaching for the net. finally josh lands a small beautiful kokanee salmon. wow he was rowing that canoe like he was in a race to shore. he said his heart was pumping like he saw a big buck. told him i was as excited as he was when he grabbed the net. hoping chawk gets to post the pics here later. we are going back no doubt about it. BUG SEASON HAS STARTED IN THE ADIRONDACKS.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Here are Matt's pics, nice adventure Matt!
Attachments
13929.jpeg
13929.jpeg (64.51 KiB) Viewed 22191 times
13931.jpeg
13931.jpeg (109.38 KiB) Viewed 22191 times
13933.jpeg
13933.jpeg (127.32 KiB) Viewed 22191 times
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/8/2019 headed into a trout pond again today with josh only this time i would spend some time trolling for a change. ist pass around the pond i have 5 hits and josh 1 and on my 6th hit a fierce hit and fish on and what a battle felt like 5 lb fish on the end of the line and i when i landed it was only a 15 inch salmon/brown again . unbelievable fish these are, in fact josh later trolling while i was on shore hooked into and nice one and it broke him off wow . we had 14 total hits an only landed mine an d he almost jumped in the canoe and landed in the net . this pond is 19 acres but deep . 64 feet the deepest. i cant stay in the canoe alot but the few precious minutes i was out there i was impressed.gold fins on it and tail again and beautiful gill plates and and when i got it home started changing to silver and the meat was dark red again.
Imageforensic anthropology employmentImage
fishy1

Re: fishing update trout pond my ist kokanee/brown ever

Post by fishy1 »

5/9/2019 headed into a trout pond today which will probably be the last time for awhile bug season is in and i mean in. ugh horrible walking out of the woods today. well we had over 40 hits trolling and never landed a kokanee again they are the toughest catch i ever tried for. they have a very soft mouth and only eat plankton from what i read. 2 guys camping in there fishing trout said there a pain if you get 50 hits you will be lucky to get 2 in the canoe. we take breaks and go to shore for lunch and stretch out legs so i always pu tout my extra 2 rods on with a bobber the other on bottom. within 10 minutes my bobber went down quickly and did not come back up grabbed the rod fish on and a big one. josh headed for the canoe to grab the net a ways away and before he got back a big brown rolled 4 feet from shore and unhooked. what a beauty estimated 5 or 6 lbs. strange thing is it hit my dillie on a bobber trying to remember back if i ever caught a brown on a bobber mostly all on bottom. was going to release it but would have liked a pic. well josh caught his ist salmon/brown today on a ultra light rod and what a fight. ImageImagewhere is the closest gas station to me
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/11/2019 hit a roadside pond this morning with josh in the high peaks. the pond holds brookies and the bite was on as usual in this pond missed alot raining and windy and 38 degrees but caught a bunch early most around 9 and ten inches josh kept 5 for dinner i didnt keep any. caught all of them on bottom none on a bobber set up. dillies were the trick again.
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

I went for ADK browns this morning, 1.4 miles, looking for morels on the way. The blackflies were BAD.
Nothing bit the little rapala that caught them last spring, so I switched to the rainbow phoebe which casts a lot farther can sink to the bottom. That did the trick. I landed a 14" dinner-sized brown and kept it. Caught and released a big one about 20". Missed a hard bite. One follow looked like a brown.

Then I just had to get out of there to escape the bugs! I sure felt nostalgic for last year when it was so dry that there were no bugs. I took it for granted, then! Well, the trout seem to be active but it's hard to enjoy it!

So I went looking for ADK crappies in the kayak, and found a few!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

troutcrazy wrote:I went for ADK browns this morning, 1.4 miles, looking for morels on the way. The blackflies were BAD.
Nothing bit the little rapala that caught them last spring, so I switched to the rainbow phoebe which casts a lot farther can sink to the bottom. That did the trick. I landed a 14" dinner-sized brown and kept it. Caught and released a big one about 20". Missed a hard bite. One follow looked like a brown.

Then I just had to get out of there to escape the bugs! I sure felt nostalgic for last year when it was so dry that there were no bugs. I took it for granted, then! Well, the trout seem to be active but it's hard to enjoy it!

So I went looking for ADK crappies in the kayak, and found a few!
thanks for the report great job. im heading to maine for 4 days. staying away from the ponds now black flies are terrible everywhere
Last edited by fishy1 on Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

8/5/2019 i had a freind from vt. erik invite me over to fish for brookies and rainbows up in the green mtn national forest my ist time. an hour drive from eriks house and after we got there we rode around erik showing me the sights and looking for moose and bears. finally hit the pond around 9 am or so. drove me to almost the water then carries my camp chair down and made sure i didnt fall. pond was wide open so the sun was down on us but it was cool with a breeze. i got the ist bites and they were small bullhead ugh. and it would continue for me lots of small bullhead. erik finally got a brook trout about 9 inches. we decided to try another place for browns down off the mtn. it was hot there 10 degrees hotter but we fished anyhow landing some bass and a small pike. but the highlight was i landed and jumbo crayfish biggest both of us have ever seen looked like a minature lobster. wow. had fun today thanks to erik . Imagepostimage org safeImage