fishing update trout pond my ist kokanee/brown ever

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: fishing update trout ponds 2016

Post by fishy1 »

4/11/2016 got a text from my wife while fishing in deep bay and said i could fish the rest of the day at least until 2:30 pm. she made me some sandwiches and a got a pepsi ready for me. picked them up and was on my way back to a trout pond. got about 5 miles from the ponds bushwhack trail when the road was covered with snow yes that white stuff. slowed down and finally made it to the parking. walked back to the pond and it was 9:15 am when i got there. very little wind and a little sleet . decided to stick with the the 2 rods with slip sinkers. ist half hour nothing then at 9:47 am my ist bite and fish on. a nice brookie. then from that point until i left at 12:30 pm i had hits at least within 15 minutes . landed 11 nice brookies lost one about 14 inches or so and missed probably another 11. most bites were very tricky ones as they would run towards shore and i would have lots of slack to catch up with them. brookies will do this often when you leave your bail open. no big brookies but nice size ones and fun to catch. kept 2 for lunch to go with 3 from sunday and all others released.
here is one i kept.Image
upload a gif
FishDR
Species: Salmon

Post by FishDR »

Nice work Matt.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

FishDR wrote:Nice work Matt.
thanks duane.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

4/12/2016 hit another trout pond this morning a little closer to the road but had to hike over a good size hill to get to it. got there and found one decent place for 2 rods with a little room. started fishing at 6:50 am . 8:15 am still not bites then suddenly both rods started peeling line off. landed one and missed the other. a nice 11 inch brookie. had to leave by 9 am so i was on a time constraint. had 3 more bites and missed all three. they wernt very aggressive at all. this pond hasnt been stocked in years so i guess im impressed. will hit it again soon.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

4/14/2016 hit a trout pond early this morning. temperature was 24 degrees there and not bad until around 8 am when the north wind really started to blow. got real cold in a hurry with that steady win. tried a bobber rig and a slip sinker rig this morning since it still at ist. bobber down at 7:15 am and no taker then another ten minutes or so another bobber down and no taker. it always seem harder to hook fish with the bobber method unless your making a drift. then a short while later my bobber started heading for shore again no taker. no hits on the slip sinker rig. then at 8:15 am bobber down and fish on a nice 11 inch brookie. threw it back out and soon as it hit the water bobber down and fish on a smaller 8 inch brookie. that was it for the rest of the morning. i moved twice trying to get out of the wind and into the sun but it didnt help much. no bites on the slip sinker which is a stunner as most of my trout are caught with this method. heard from wayne and he said he wants to come down and hit a pond with me saturday and i said lets do it. will go for a hike.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

4/15/2016 walked into a trout pond a little closer to the road since i had to be home at 9:30 am. started fishing at 6:45 am and it was non stop action until 8;45 am . landed 14 brookies mostly stockers though as the pond must have been just stocked. i did land 3 nice wild ones and lost a good one approx 15 inches . a great morning at 27 degrees but no wind. that was a feat in itself.
Z.G
Species: Anything that bites

Post by Z.G »

Are these just random backwoods beaver ponds, or are they accessible by vehicle, state-stocked ponds?
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Z.G wrote:Are these just random backwoods beaver ponds, or are they accessible by vehicle, state-stocked ponds?
these are not accessible by vehicle and are off from the nearest road to 1 mile to 3.2 miles and are in the adirondack mountains. all state wild ponds are stocked at least every other year but some are not where they naturally reproduce and have all wild trout. dont fish beaver dams just ponds. i like fishing the ones that are not stocked but the ones that a are stocked also hold wild trout. hope this helps.
EagleCrag
Species: Trout/Salmon

Post by EagleCrag »

fishy: Nice brookies. I'll ask the dumb question--what's a dillie? Never heard of that before and I've been fishing a long time!!
NHfishin4fun
Species: Bass/Pike/Salmon

Post by NHfishin4fun »

Dillie "worms". You'll see them in the same convenience store coolers with worms and crawlers.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

EagleCrag wrote:fishy: Nice brookies. I'll ask the dumb question--what's a dillie? Never heard of that before and I've been fishing a long time!!
lou:
dillies are an in between night crawler. not small and not large. they are considered night crawlers but are on the small size so they named them dillies. excellent size for all trout.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

4/19/2016 headed back into a trout pond this morning that holds some nice browns and brookies. got to the pond where the little bushwhack trail ends and saw a nice brown surfacing across chasing bait. i decided to go chase it and bushwhack over and it was a 20 minute trip with brush and huge rocks and it wasnt very far just around some beaver houses. got there and could see bottom a long ways out but said if there is fish there im going to try and cast and put a bobber out with a dillie. after takeing a break and eating a sandwich and drinking some pepsi and i was sweating and legs sore from that last 20 minutes of bushwhacking. started casting and saw another good size fish chasing bait. threw out as far as i could started my retreive and fish on then it came off kept retreiving and fish on again and he twisted off. so it was a good start because that fish was a good one. a few minutes later a fish hit my lure close to shore and i missed it. then in about 10 minutes or so went by landed a 15 inch brown and released it the a while went by and had a good hit but missed. soon after i was retreiving and saw a huge back of a fish comeing right at me so i hurried my retreive and hoped i would get in at the same time and i did and this huge brown slammed it and was thrashing and splashing water even on me. i held on and loosened the drag all the way losse and he started to go out maybe a 2 feet out came the lure. it cant be 2 days in a row of bad luck. put the rod down and had another sandwich and some more pepsi and just sat there stunned. as i looked at my lure i noticed something wasnt right well it wasnt he broke one of the treble hooks completely off. measured the depth of the depth of the water where he hit my lure on shore and right at my feet it was 8 inches deep. unreal. decided to try and get out of this pond a little easier way and hit a brookie pond on the other side of the hill. the easier way wasnt the easier way. yikes. got to the other pond and fished 2 hours and landed 3 brookies and lost 2. im going back for those browns again soon.Image
print screen windows xp
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

here is the lure minus one treble hook.
upload img
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

Nice report. Maybe some of your luck will rub off on me..lol. took my 12 yr old out this afternoon and hit up a bunch of spots. Down 42 pounds since surgury and it is a lot easier getting around the banks of brooks. Highlight was watching the smelt in the brook at lake george.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Hairbone wrote:Nice report. Maybe some of your luck will rub off on me..lol. took my 12 yr old out this afternoon and hit up a bunch of spots. Down 42 pounds since surgury and it is a lot easier getting around the banks of brooks. Highlight was watching the smelt in the brook at lake george.
wow thats great harry. maybe you can join me sometime back into one of these bushwhack ponds and bring the 12 year old along. you will be running a marathon next week. lol.