fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore added pics of spawning salmon right at my feet 11/26

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore

Post by fishy1 »

4/1/2016 had a 2 hour window so i decided to make the walk to deep bay to try and get out of as much wind as i could. started casting at 6:30 am and no hits at all kept moving and as i was moving i kept noticing the birds close to shore about 75 yards of me. so i decided to walk down there but not much room to cast off in the big rocks. i found a flat rock that was above the water about 4 feet but decided to try it anyhow. made a couple of cast and nothing looking down at my lure i noticed something that wasnt there before than it moved a little then i knew it was a fish and a big fish. kept casting but it wouldnt even move so i decided to jig . dropped the johnson splinter down and started jigging in seconds fish on a huge football size salmon was on the end of my line. i quickly snapped open my bail so it wouldnt bust me off 2 huge leaps and it was on his way . i was just stunned and sat there for a few minutes trying to think of what i could have done to land that beast. i had no net and was up above the water about 4 feet and couldnt get down. a true trophy gets to go on another day. finished the last hour up by landing one salmon and had 3 other hits but they were shying away because they could see me above in the rocks. all fish hit within 10 feet of shore. the trophy salmon was puking up the remains of a good size fish and the pieces were at least 5 to 7 inches. last evening i lost a beast that i didnt know what it was but this morning i saw the beast right close up in fact right straight down from me. these 2 fish from last evening and this morning are about 2 miles apart. saw a boat land one out in front of me this morning also.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

4/1/2016 went back. down to deep bay this evening and it was alive with fish busting water so didnt have much scouting to do. ist 1/2 hour landed 2 salmon lost 1 and missed 2. then it slowed for the next 1/2 hour and only had 2 good hits and went home. will post a pic soon. all fish attacked with 20 feet of shore.
image upload
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

Better start a running g fish total! Your off to a great start!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Hairbone wrote:Better start a running g fish total! Your off to a great start!
i am harry and most if not all will also be here on the forum. only 5 boats out today.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

4/2/2016 hit the deep bay again this morning at daylight under calm conditions and 41 degrees. birds were way over this morning so started way north of where i normally cast from. threw out my extra rod with a bobber and a crawler and started casting. o hits in the ist spot. moved back down about 50 yards and started casting again ist cast fish on a nice 20 plus inch salmon . hit my rainbow krocodile 5 feet from shore. what a leaper he was he gave me a good show. then nothing so i decided to move down another 50 yards. threw the bobber out and soon as it hit fish on bobber and all right up in the air along with a nice salmon . spit the hook at the same time and stole my crawler. liked to had a go pro for the last 2 fish. started casting and 4 or 5th cast fish on and a good one only to come off seconds later. then nothing again so i moved down another 50 yards and threw out the bobber with the crawler and before i could pick up my other rod the bobber was heading out and at a fast pace set the hook and nothing but the fish got the crawler. seconds later the fish rolled out there with a good size wake. then after about and hour of 0 hits i had a sharp hit close to shore and missed. threw right back out and just as i got the lure in front of me it hit again this time fish on and after several leaps i landed it . went home shortly after. not a real hot day but a good one. landed 2 nice salmon and had fun watching the ones i missed and lost. going to try and get back down there this evening for at least an hour before the cold front comes through on sunday. saw several fish bust water early but nothing after 8 am or so. saw some boats pick up some fish to.
Last edited by fishy1 on Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

Nice report! Weather will make it miserable to fish for a few days.

Any dead alewives floating around?
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Hairbone wrote:Nice report! Weather will make it miserable to fish for a few days.

Any dead alewives floating around?
no dead alewifes anywhere.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

4/2/2016 went back this afternoon down to deep bay and met up with vt matt and edin as they were going to join me after hitting a stream ist. went down and started casting and wasnt long fish on a nice 22 or 23 inch salmon. then had a few hits but no takers . about an hour later vt matt and edin showed up and started fishing with their fly rods. just as they started fishing i had a good hit close to shore and out of the water a nice salmon leaping for freedom didnt make it that time but the 2nd time he shook loose. took a break and went over and visited with matt and as were talking matt had a good hit and missed it. short while later we decided to call it a day. matt and edin did fairly well earlier for steelhead each getting one and matt losing a good size steelhead. looks as if the cold front is going to arrive sunday so i plan on taking a few days off. had flyfish1 tell me this afternoon he only landed 1 18 inch salmon on a river and wayne had no hits. the water temperature on the river was 45 degrees.
Last edited by fishy1 on Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

4/4/2016 went down to the lake this morning for an hour and tried a different spot with a little deeper water ten foot to 15 feet. put on a 1/2 ounce rainbow krocodile and started to cast. no hits at all and the snow falling and temperature 21 degrees made it for tough spin casting with ice build up on my guides. just before i got to leave i had a real strong hit that whacked my kroc twice in succession but no taker. i think this spot will produce once the weather straightens out especially for the browns. looks like frostbite fishing for now is still here.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

4/11/2016 went down to deep bay at daylight since i had a short window with calm waters been awhile since i have seen that and a light drizzle. tied a rainbow flat finish krocodile on. the flat finished one has a white color on the bottom and its not so shiny. i always seem to do better with this one than the uv coated rainbow kroc on cloudy days and stained water. 3rd cast along the shore line and fish on and a big one. shook me off after about 10 seconds as he was busting water and fighting for his freedom. i can never be positive but i truly believe this is same beast that shook me off on shore right at my feet last week.. got one glimpse of him and he was definetly a silver. then about one half hour later after missing one i had a strong hit on my ist retreive and fish on . landed a nice 20 plus inch salmon. released the salmon and received a text from my wife saying i could fish the rest of the day so i asked her if she would make me some sandwiches ill head into a trout pond again. she said the sandwiches and pepsi would be ready when i got there.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

in my previous post i mentioned that i lost a beast of a fish that i thought was defintly a salmon . well this morning i woke up to get set to hit a trout pond and i checked my phone texts and there is a pic of a 12 lb. salmon caught in deep bay yesterday. one of my fishing buddies co-worker landed it. wow and incredible beast to say the least.
Registered Kayak
Species: Salmon and the rest

Post by Registered Kayak »

fishy1 wrote:in my previous post i mentioned that i lost a beast of a fish that i thought was defintly a salmon . well this morning i woke up to get set to hit a trout pond and i checked my phone texts and there is a pic of a 12 lb. salmon caught in deep bay yesterday. one of my fishing buddies co-worker landed it. wow and incredible beast to say the least.
Matt, i may just sell the boat and shore fish again haha. That must be pretty cool to watch them attaack so close to shore
cpmaple
Species: salmon,lakers and catfish

Post by cpmaple »

where r the pics matt
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

cpmaple wrote:where r the pics matt
on my phone.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

went down to deep bay tonight for an hour of casting . started slow then picked up about 6:30 pm landed 2 salmon on the small size 17 or 18 inches and one nice largemouth bass. had one other sharp hit before i left to walk out. water is still stained but improving. my lure of the night was a rainbow 1/4 ounce johnson splinter.