fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore added pics of spawning salmon right at my feet 11/26

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
GSP
Species: Bass, trout

Re: fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore added pics of spawning salmon right at my feet 11/26

Post by GSP »

If you’re still catching trout this late in May, does it mean the water is still too cold and I shouldn’t expect to catch bass from shore? I’ll be fishing in Sherlburne bay Monday and I’d rather not catch salmon/trout since I won’t be in a position to keep a fish if I injure it.
TUnamas

Re: fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore added pics of spawning salmon right at my feet 11/26

Post by TUnamas »

Smallmouth should available, but I haven't seen largemouth in the shallows yet. Might be some pike around too!
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

GSP wrote:If you’re still catching trout this late in May, does it mean the water is still too cold and I shouldn’t expect to catch bass from shore? I’ll be fishing in Sherlburne bay Monday and I’d rather not catch salmon/trout since I won’t be in a position to keep a fish if I injure it.
the water temperature is around 49n degrees largemouths should be on there beds in weedy sections but smallies are available mostly everywhere and some pike also. i dont think your going to be able to get away from salmon and lakers if there is any around. prime time now for them to cruise the shores.
GSP

Post by GSP »

Thanks for the info, guys. I’ll use spinnerbaits that first day. I’ll be at a cottage in St Albans after that, so I won’t mind catching a salmon or a trout after that.
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Good looking fish Matt. Is it unusual to be catching Lakers this time of year from shore?
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:Good looking fish Matt. Is it unusual to be catching Lakers this time of year from shore?
don no its really there most active time when the water reaches 50 to 55 degrees the forage is in the shallows and lakers are chasing the 11 lber was full of smelt. the water im fishing is 10 to 25 fow but not far for 65 fow. the forage is right tight to the shore line much the same as where i get the salmon only much shallower. hope this helps.
the_doctor
Species: Whatever's biting

Post by the_doctor »

Yes, my friend caught a nice laker right from the dock while loading the boat up a few days back, after catching nothing all day. Just goes to show!!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

6/1/2019 while at mcdonalds for lunch i asked my granddaughter alayna what she would like to do this evening. she says pa pa i would like you to show me how to cast for lakers and salmon i would like to practice. i looked at her and said your on we will head north around 5:30 pm. i had my 9 ft 6 inch fenwick hmx steelhead/salmon rod already set up with the clown krocodile on it. we started fishing at 6:10 pm and i taught her the countdown method ist and the retreive 2nd. the bottom was a count of 12 so i told alayna no more than 11 count. i adjusted her rod tip where it should be lined up about a foot off the water and told her when she gets in close to raise the rod tip slowly about chest high or more to trigger a strike. about 10 minutes practicing on a count of 7 she has a freight train hit and it shakes loose she was excited. then a little later on the count of 7 she misses . about 15 minutes later or so i told her to try 11 count at least 10 times. on the 8th try alayna has a freight train hit and fish on and nice one battling busting water diving and swimming wow cant let this one get away. a couple of times in close the fish pulled her rod tip down to the water so i had a hard time getting it to
the net. told alayna raise the rod up above your head she says pa pa its hard he is fighting and hurting my arms but she tried and got it up and on the 3rd try i got it in the net and high 5,s were in order. what a battle and alayna won she says pa pa im so excited . after some quick pics alayna says pa pa i want to keep it i said yes you can im proud of you. we then left 55 minutes practicing alayna was 1 for 3 outstanding. alayna landed a 25 inch laker all by herself

ImageImageally bank njImage
Last edited by fishy1 on Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GSP

Post by GSP »

Awesome! You must have been so proud. Let’s bet it felt better than most of the fish you’ve caught yourself.
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Way to go Alayna your Awesome.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Congrats, again, Alayna! That's a beautiful fish ay any angler' standards!
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Sacospinner wrote:Thanks everyone for the info! After reading your replies I believe my silhouette was a big part of the problem, I was trying to see the take instead of just fishing. When I would move back away from the water to tie on another streamer fly or spoon or pin minnow or swim shad or ...(You get the idea) the feeding activity increased 10 fold. I threw everything I had at them including a worm on a bare hook, what fish won't eat that?

Fishy1- I did move here from NH where my home water was the Saco river. The brown trout go crazy in the beginning of June feeding on the light Hendrickson spinner fall just as it begins to get dark out. It's my favorite time to fish. I'm actually heading out there this weekend to do a little fishing.

Thanks again for all of your posts, this forum has taught me a lot about fishing Champlain and the only fish I haven't caught yet is a salmon.

Oh boy.... keep, reading and in time you will be slaying salmon and having fish jump In front of you multiple times... it’s an amazing fish to fight and we will all help you be successful at it... everyone deserves to have this rush!
Matt B
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

fishy1 wrote:6/1/2019 while at mcdonalds for lunch i asked my granddaughter alayna what she would like to do this evening. she says pa pa i would like you to show me how to cast for lakers and salmon i would like to practice. i looked at her and said your on we will head north around 5:30 pm. i had my 9 ft 6 inch fenwick hmx steelhead/salmon rod already set up with the clown krocodile on it. we started fishing at 6:10 pm and i taught her the countdown method ist and the retreive 2nd. the bottom was a count of 12 so i told alayna no more than 11 count. i adjusted her rod tip where it should be lined up about a foot off the water and told her when she gets in close to raise the rod tip slowly about chest high or more to trigger a strike. about 10 minutes practicing on a count of 7 she has a freight train hit and it shakes loose she was excited. then a little later on the count of 7 she misses . about 15 minutes later or so i told her to try 11 count at least 10 times. on the 8th try alayna has a freight train hit and fish on and nice one battling busting water diving and swimming wow cant let this one get away. a couple of times in close the fish pulled her rod tip down to the water so i had a hard time getting it to
the net. told alayna raise the rod up above your head she says pa pa its hard he is fighting and hurting my arms but she tried and got it up and on the 3rd try i got it in the net and high 5,s were in order. what a battle and alayna won she says pa pa im so excited . after some quick pics alayna says pa pa i want to keep it i said yes you can im proud of you. we then left 55 minutes practicing alayna was 1 for 3 outstanding. alayna landed a 25 inch laker all by herself

That is one lucky little girl. Taught and mentored by the best cold water shore fisherman on the lake... Amazing story that just warms my heart... Thanks for sharing Matt... Your are my hero and the open invite on Reelax stands... you name the date, I’ll make it work.

Thanks for sharing
Matt B
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Nice fish, Alayna! Congratulations!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Reelax wrote:
fishy1 wrote:6/1/2019 while at mcdonalds for lunch i asked my granddaughter alayna what she would like to do this evening. she says pa pa i would like you to show me how to cast for lakers and salmon i would like to practice. i looked at her and said your on we will head north around 5:30 pm. i had my 9 ft 6 inch fenwick hmx steelhead/salmon rod already set up with the clown krocodile on it. we started fishing at 6:10 pm and i taught her the countdown method ist and the retreive 2nd. the bottom was a count of 12 so i told alayna no more than 11 count. i adjusted her rod tip where it should be lined up about a foot off the water and told her when she gets in close to raise the rod tip slowly about chest high or more to trigger a strike. about 10 minutes practicing on a count of 7 she has a freight train hit and it shakes loose she was excited. then a little later on the count of 7 she misses . about 15 minutes later or so i told her to try 11 count at least 10 times. on the 8th try alayna has a freight train hit and fish on and nice one battling busting water diving and swimming wow cant let this one get away. a couple of times in close the fish pulled her rod tip down to the water so i had a hard time getting it to

That is one lucky little girl. Taught and mentored by the best cold water shore fisherman on the lake... Amazing story that just warms my heart... Thanks for sharing Matt... Your are my hero and the open invite on Reelax stands... you name the date, I’ll make it work.

Thanks for sharing
thank you matt your comment was overwhelming. when i started posting on lcu i never imagined it would come to this as i was just trying to share my fishing for fisherman to see and maybe even learn. never relealizing what an impact i was having on people not just fisherman. im overwhelmed what i have meant to people just because of fishing. all is good and im not going to change any will keep on fishing and posting . to all others with there great comments and nice things they say and all the invites on their boats thank you .
matt i will try and set a date and time to catch up with you on your boat but right now im not sure about fishing in a boat. as you know im fighting cancer and now i am having right leg problems and till i see what it is i need to stay on the ground. im going to try and go out with jimmer (targav18) for awhile in his boat and ill go from there. i cant sit to long and i need to walk around with my leg. i will let you know soon matt.