Fall bass / pike champlain

Check and share here for the latest Bass fishing reports.
jcmg8
Species: any

Fall bass / pike champlain

Post by jcmg8 »

looking to continue fishing for a few weeks - but little experience on Champlain at this time of year. Typically put in at mallets bay. Any pointers / guidance?

Thank you in advance,
tight lines
Registered Kayak
Species: Salmon and the rest

Re: Fall bass / pike champlain

Post by Registered Kayak »

Well what do you usually do to catch them? I have had some good luck this year with the warm water species.
jcmg8

Post by jcmg8 »

Most of my fishing has been in 1000 islands area (Alex Bay). Never been much of a Bass person, past experience was been primary rattle traps. For pike, I'd throw large spoons (6") along bed edges, 15 to 30" wafer. Get the token musky too.

In Champlain, my pike tactics don't seem to work or at least not as well. Only this year have I started targeting Bass and only in Champlain. Did ok on senkos and crankbaits, late summer in 10" water of less.

I suspect putting in at mallets bay may be less than optimal, but it's my only option without a long tow consuming my fishing window, I did do Alberg in the summer. Typically, I'm around the moorings on the shoreline near Marble Island docks or the drop offs near mallets creek. I've tried the outlet and drop off the lamoille with little success.

And suggestions of location / target depth / lure selection would be great, give me a starting point, particularly with water temps at 50F

Thank you in advance
Registered Kayak

:geek:
So mallets isn't necessarily a bad choice. I have had tons of good fish from that part of the lake!! The bass are following schools of smelt near the rock outcroppings. If you have a good fish finder you will see the bait balls. I cast a good crank bait that dives somewhere near 10'.
The water temp is prefect too. 51* caught around a dozen on Saturday along with a 30" pike( caught many under that) and biggest bass of that day was 18.5" smallest being 14" I have got plenty of 19 +" smallies in the past week or two.
Any crank bait that is of a smelt like color works. And don't forget about using jigs on the bottom with a 4-5" white worm. I use the standup style jig head with a pink head that weighs around 1/8th I think. seems to be just right to be able to get down to 30' if need be.
You will be sorting through big ole perch though, they are chasing the smelt as well.
mallets, Burlington, Shelburne, and inland sea along the Georgia shore are my usual haunts. I really like getting into the fatties that live near lone rock point and apple tree shoal. throw white tubes in 3" size and give a small hop 1 time every 2 seconds.
try to keep in the mid teen depth range for that. 8-)
jcmg8

Post by jcmg8 »

thank you for the pointers. We'll be out Sunday and see how it goes.
jcmg8

Post by jcmg8 »

few hours Sunday, little action. Out of Mallets bay, fished flats and dropoff around mallets creek, when out over 20" water no baitfish observed (DSI5 sonar). Wondered across the shore to location of follow up last week,nothing -then ended the days around the islands south of cave island. Cranks, jigs etc not much action surface or deep. One fish worthy day, 3.5# small.

Only a couple more weekends to go, anyone have more insight/tips?

Thank you in advance
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

Don't feel bad. I can't catch bass for chit so I fish salmon. I am an old pro at white perch, but I think everyone is who fishes the lake.
Registered Kayak

I usually have good bass fishing in mallets. You should try the area near the bridge and at the cut. I havent fished that spot specifically since i was in a kayak but when i did i found the weed line which was around 18' deep. and it has a pretty consistent contour all the way to porters point. You will just run into beau-coup small pike with NASTY red sore/tumors on them. those poor things are looking rough.
just try not to net those infected ones because i read that the disease commutes via contact. im surprised the fish and wildllife hasnt put out anything pertaining to this?
any how, inland sea on the georgia coast has some awesome rock contours that i used to go jig for summer time smallies. i would catch plenty while trolling for salmon/walleye this time of year and would catch an occasional bass around 60' down although im sure you can find them just about anywhere in the water column chasing bait.
try the area between savage island and whatever the closest island to the south is. there is a good flat that is between deep waters. fastest bassing in that part of the lake.
what lures did you use?
jcmg8

Post by jcmg8 »

looking like we will head out this sat, put in in mallets. Water is likely too thin for us to make it over sandbar at this time of year.

As for lures, there are three of us casting. One guy is known to plow thru his tackle bag, you name it, he's got it. He may get thru it twice, has multiple rods rigged. His popular was a 6" chrome that he wake baited and has follow ups. nailed the bass on a texas senko. 2nd guy was primarily spoons. I was a pumpkin seed crank, various johnson spoons/trailers, husky jerk smelt colored... and a few senkos.
Registered Kayak

I wish i could go out this weekend but gonna be busy.
Try those rock outcroppings again, the bass are slightly suspended away from them stalking bait. last i went to mallets i was super surprised to have casted in 30-40' because we saw big fish suspended under us that deep, but maybe 60' from shore next to the rocks. there are small schools of the bass but they are following bigger schools of bait.
you will see the bait ball and the game fish wont be too far behind. lighter colors worked for us again. try to use a 12' diving crank too.