frostbite shore fishing for lakers updated 10/31/2017

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Re: frostbite shore fishing for lakers updated 10/31/2017

Post by troutcrazy »

Oh, the wind! Tried some new spots and some old spots, from shore. Zero fish.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

[quote="troutcrazy"]Oh, the wind! Tried some new spots and some old spots, from shore. Zero fish.
might join vt matt on a river today and both of us could be on the lake soon after to if your around.
troutcrazy

Post by troutcrazy »

Sorry I missed you!

I planned to fish around Thompson's point but couldn't resist the NY side. Lots of lakers.

There was another canoe with two guys, and they weren't catching anything. I was trolling past slowly while talking to them about the lures I was using when I hooked up something strong. I was distracted, and then the wind gusted crazily, and somehow I ended up spinning around and getting wrapped up in my other line, which was braid. The fish is on my light casting rig, and it starts running and jumping and it's a big salmon. I'm tangled up bad, and the braid somehow gets wrapped several times around the rood with the fish on, and around my trolling motor. Absolute mayhem. The fish keeps jumping and somehow I get it to the canoe. I almost get it in the net, but it makes one last run, and the tangle interferes with my drag and the line breaks. Ouch! So close!

The salmon bit a 3/8oz holographic rainbow trout Krocodile, with no extra weight. I was going pretty slow-- probaby less than 2mph. Right around 25' of water, but on a dropoff.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

troutcrazy wrote:Sorry I missed you!

I planned to fish around Thompson's point but couldn't resist the NY side. Lots of lakers.

There was another canoe with two guys, and they weren't catching anything. I was trolling past slowly while talking to them about the lures I was using when I hooked up something strong. I was distracted, and then the wind gusted crazily, and somehow I ended up spinning around and getting wrapped up in my other line, which was braid. The fish is on my light casting rig, and it starts running and jumping and it's a big salmon. I'm tangled up bad, and the braid somehow gets wrapped several times around the rood with the fish on, and around my trolling motor. Absolute mayhem. The fish keeps jumping and somehow I get it to the canoe. I almost get it in the net, but it makes one last run, and the tangle interferes with my drag and the line breaks. Ouch! So close!

The salmon bit a 3/8oz holographic rainbow trout Krocodile, with no extra weight. I was going pretty slow-- probaby less than 2mph. Right around 25' of water, but on a dropoff.
i saw you i was there for an hour o hits on smelt. wind was cold and blowing right into me you were north of me out of the wind zone. that stinks you lost that big salmon . ugh. that rainbow kroc holographic was always my go to lure casting on shore for salmon until i went to the honeybees. did it have the sure set hooks.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

thanks for that great report trout crazy i got 0 runs this morning in 2 places on smelt and i heard from others that fished rivers and nothing there also. keep at them. that salmon will be there when you get back. :) any size to the lakers?
Z.G
Species: Anything that bites

Post by Z.G »

Went out yesterday for an hour and we got 3 on the fly. 1st was around 27", 2nd around 22", 3rd around 25". Can't say I saw a lamprey mark.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Z.G wrote:Went out yesterday for an hour and we got 3 on the fly. 1st was around 27", 2nd around 22", 3rd around 25". Can't say I saw a lamprey mark.
thanks for the report were you on shore? got a report from a member over there got into the lakers good today said it was crazy landed 25 the last i heard. he was on shore.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

hit the lake early this morning and changed up and hit some shallower water in the area trout crazy has been fishing with his canoe. 2nd cast the lure a 3/8 ounce perch krocodile splashed and immediatly a big splash and fish on a leaping salmon of good size. as i started reeling my rod doubled and the fish thrashin wildly i was hooked up on big thick weeds that i didnt think would be there . the salmon shook loose. i sent eric a text as he was where we normally fish and he came down to join me but the weeds were just to much and it began to rain real hard. so we moved a little south and it was better but the wind began to blow wildly eric left and i stayed for 1/2 hour with one light hit as the wind took the lure quickly away from the fish. i saw several good size salmon leap at least 2 feet up and back in the short time i was there most were out of casting distance but not that far out . also the lakers were surfacing the whole time we were there but also out of casting distance. ugh
troutcrazy

Post by troutcrazy »

We'll get those salmon, fishy1! We'll get them.
That's amazing. sorry you missed it, and haha I know that feeling!

The lakers I caught yesterday were mostly in the 22" class. I think I caught only one in the 30+ class that day. It had a lamprey, and wounds, and scrappy scars. I dispatched the lamprey. Released the fish very cleanly from a single hook-- didn't even pull it out of the water.

I do buy the sure-set hooks like you recommended, and they're great but lately I've been switching the hook to the single! Because I found the Honeybees much easier-- releasing lakers in the canoe is tricky! My current release method is: gloved hand thumbs the jaw, and the other hand weilds the hook outeners. Fish stays in the water.
troutcrazy

Post by troutcrazy »

Z.G wrote:Went out yesterday for an hour and we got 3 on the fly. 1st was around 27", 2nd around 22", 3rd around 25". Can't say I saw a lamprey mark.
That sounds awesome. What kind of fly do they bite?
Z.G
Species: Anything that bites

Post by Z.G »

fishy1 wrote:
thanks for the report were you on shore? got a report from a member over there got into the lakers good today said it was crazy landed 25 the last i heard. he was on shore.
Was on shore, wind was crazy from the Vermont side!
troutcrazy wrote:
That sounds awesome. What kind of fly do they bite?
They bite a LOT of flies, really not very picky. I actually posted in this thread last year a photo of the flies I tie for them, here it is.

troutcrazy

Post by troutcrazy »

Those look great, ZG!
troutcrazy

Post by troutcrazy »

Couldn't resist trying NY again today, even though time was tight with work in the afternoon. Started fishing from shore around 8:30, then put in the canoe around 9:30. Waves were unexpectedly big but gentle. Caught 2 lakers around 22" on a blue and silver Kroc, and one on a purple/pink MT. The waves calmed down after a couple hours and I ventured outside the bay a little.

On the way back I was in a hurry to catch the ferry so I travelled a straight line over deep water back towards my car. I was at top speed (about 3mph against the wind, with a drained battery). I finally caught a salmon! It's on the small side-- about 17", not like the big one that broke my line the other day-- but I'm thrilled! The water was about 65' deep. The three-way swivel rig did the trick! I had 2oz of sinkers on it, which takes it down about 20'. The lure was a fisy1 color Honeybee!
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Congratulations on your salmon. Maybe you should try 3 or 4 colors of lead line. I run it on cheap fly rod outfits.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

good report trout crazy the fishy1 casting bee when i started testing it for jim martino was an instant hit with me. it was on fire for lakers and salmon. you broke the ice with the salmon now its fish on. dont think im going to be able to keep you away from one of my favorite spots now. lots of forum members also like that area. tight lines.