frostbite shore fishing for lakers updated 10/31/2017

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Re: shore fishing for lakers 11/4/2015

Post by Hairbone »

fishy1 wrote:
Hairbone wrote:Matt,

Headed down to pennsylvania to celebrate the anniversary with the wife. Just happens to be I will be in close proximity to cabelas and bass pro shops :D. I might need to find some of those fish catching casting irons :mrgreen:
hope you found what i was looking for because i cant find another like it. have some like it but in trolling spoons.

They didn't have your specific jem, but you can borrow some tamiron tape I have in that color :D found a bunch of new stuff!
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

11/18 fishing on shore at 6:40 am with 3 foot waves and a cool temperature at 25 degrees. was just nasty and the wind increased by 7 am or so. had a difficult time casting into the wind and with the wind i had a big bow in my line. took off the 3/8 ounce lure and added a 3/4 ounce to get my line straightened out some . casted for approx one hour and went to my vehicle to get my hands warm and open a package of hand warmers. then the waves were even getting bigger but i decide to give it another hour. approx 8:30 am or so i hooked into a nice laker and couldnt reach him with the net because of the huge waves which were getting bigger. grabbed the line and slid it up on the rocks thrashing and finally getting to take the hooks out and releasing him. the laker was probably in the 26 inch plus range. doing so i got very wet from my knees down so i went to the vehicle to dry off some. after about 20 minutes or so went back and started casting again and around 9:40 am or so my bow in the line straightened out very quickly although i didnt feel anything on the rod set the hook very quickly and to my surprise i had a nice salmon on. he was just busting water right over the huge waves. i knew it was going to be a challenge landing him with those huge waves . i decided to try to land him around a corner where it was a little shallower and not so rocky. got him there but he decided he wanted no part of the shore and it really put on a show and threw my lure at least 2 or 3 feet .it was at least 24 inches or so and a beautiful silver. stayed another hour and landed another laker about 22 inches. had maybe 4 or 5 good hit and just couldnt get the hooks into them. im going back to that spot again maybe even tommorrow in the rain. never saw a boat .
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Despite the cold weather, looks like you had a great time with some tight lines.
Glad a nice salmon gave you some thrills today.
Dress warm and dry, looking forward to your coming post tomorrow.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Registered Kayak
Species: Salmon and the rest

Post by Registered Kayak »

:) thats the most hardcore thing ive read on here!! Sounds like you definitely have shore casting down to an art for sure! i cant even catch a salmon from my boat and you nail a trophy from shore, pretty cool 8-) might have to break out a surf rod if the wind was any worse than today haha
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

well i went up again today and the wind was maybe a little worse than yesterday but much warmer so i decided to go to my 2 nd option heading to a tributary for salmon and browns. will post how i did on frostbite river fishing.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

went up shore fishing for lakers this morning with my plan a couple of hours there and then move to tributary for 2 more and then another tribuatary to end my day. slow start on the lake with some big fish busting water very close to shore with 2 foot waves. then it rained and the wind died down to nothing and the fish stopped busting water and no hits. right around 8:40 am had a real good hit and somehow missed it. threw out again and bang another hit and landed a nice chunky 23 inch laker. then on to a tributary which ill post on frostbite fishing river fishing.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

11/24/2015 took a ride up this afternoon for some shore fishing for lakers. arrived at 3:15 pm and saw fish busting water near shore off the rocks. started casting there with no hits and lakers still busting water less than 10 feet away from me. saw some beasts swim right by me in 2 foot of water. decided to move at 4 pm or so and fish off the cement with a little deeper water 20 foot or so. 4th or 5th cast my rod stopped and the fight was on. tremendous this laker was at busting water and trying to avoid the net. landed a nice 26 inch fat laker. 3 or 4 cast and fish on again and another good battle as these fish were hitting my lure a long ways out from shore which is the way i like it. landed another nice 24 inch laker. then the wind out of the north picked up and it started to snow and was getting dark so i was hoping to get at least another chance at a laker. it didnt take long a few more casts and fish on again and a great fight. landed another that turned out just a little over 26 inches took it off and put it in the cooler in the back of the pickup to eat. going to try one again. all 3 fish landed i casted in a different direction maybe 20 yards either way. filleted the laker and it was a male and had 7 5 inch smelt in him.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

fishy1 wrote:11/24/2015 took a ride up this afternoon for some shore fishing for lakers. arrived at 3:15 pm and saw fish busting water near shore off the rocks. started casting there with no hits and lakers still busting water less than 10 feet away from me. saw some beasts swim right by me in 2 foot of water. decided to move at 4 pm or so and fish off the cement with a little deeper water 20 foot or so. 4th or 5th cast my rod stopped and the fight was on. tremendous this laker was at busting water and trying to avoid the net. landed a nice 26 inch fat laker. 3 or 4 cast and fish on again and another good battle as these fish were hitting my lure a long ways out from shore which is the way i like it. landed another nice 24 inch laker. then the wind out of the north picked up and it started to snow and was getting dark so i was hoping to get at least another chance at a laker. it didnt take long a few more casts and fish on again and a great fight. landed another that turned out just a little over 26 inches took it off and put it in the cooler in the back of the pickup to eat. going to try one again. all 3 fish landed i casted in a different direction maybe 20 yards either way. filleted the laker and it was a male and had 7 5 inch smelt in him.
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

Having a blast out there!! Good stuff!!
Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

3 nice lakers makes it for a great late afternoon. Congrats.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

went back up this morning at daylight. got out of my vehicle at 6:35 am and it was instantly lakers busting water it seemed everywhere mostly off the rocks. decided to go where i normally cast and cast the shore line and hope not to get hung up. 2nd cast fish on and the fight was on. what turned out to be a yet another 26 inch laker with lots of power. snapped a pic and released it. then on my 6th cast fish on another laker 25 inches and released to get bigger. then it was about 10 minutes went by and another fish on this one was my smallest so far 21 inches. the the fish stopped surfacing and i went to 8:15 am without landing another one. i decided to change lures and take one out of a package and try something different. well it worked ist cast it got smoked right in front of me by a laker that was at least 10 lbs plus. when i was trying to get it in to net it saw the net and didnt want any part of it and somehow got off. i am pretty sure i had a tight line and the drag was set okay. so i started casting again and on my 4th cast with the new lure fish on again only this time out furthur . it busted water and it came off. started casting again and nothing for about 15 minutes or so then fish on and it was another beast i just held him and let him do his thing drag singing and all. it hit way out so it was going to be a battle about half way he busted water and it came off. i was just dumbfounded to say the least. looked at the lure and it the same type hooks my lures had this spring and i lost many salmon with. decided to keep it on until i went home since it was really getting to the lakers. 1/2 hour went by and nothing then fish on i finally land one with this lure. a nice 27 inch laker. released all 4 lakers. at least i know theImagere are big ones still there.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

here is my lure with the sure set hooks that
i used on 11/24/ and this morning early. nImageo lost fish some misses though.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

fishy1 wrote:here is my lure with the sure set hooks that
i used on 11/24/ and this morning early. nImageo lost fish some misses though.
here is the lure i switched to and lost the lakers. those hooks just dont seem to set as good as i have had problems with the same type hooks in the past with other lures. could be i need to set the hook a little firmer i dont know.

Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Surely you have a lot more fun fighting those lakers from shore than we have being at work.
These are nice size fish, and they must be fighting strong to stay away from your net.

Using a plier, try bending the points of your treble hook towards the outside a bit. It should help hook better.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Fishy1:

If you haven't convinced everyone on this forum to try what you are doing, I don't think you ever will! I have never used a Kastmaster without a front ring on it? .....hmmmmm! It would be hard to just look at this spoon, not having used it, to be able to appreciate the great action that it has.

Probably shouldn't say this, but ..... after enlarging your picture, I looked at the hook on the Kastmaster and would recommend changing it or at least taking a file to it. It seems like they really need a better point? Could be just the picture but ...

Lures that come right "out of the box" should always be sharp, right? Noooo! Don't trust that. Always check. You can't count on many opportunities for great catches, so when the opportunity comes make sure your hook is sharp.

Thank you very much for spoon pictures. You don't know how much that means./Jim
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen