frostbite shore fishing for lakers updated 10/31/2017

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Re: frostbite shore fishing for lakers updated 10/31/2017

Post by troutcrazy »

Thanks fishy1! Yeah I'm pretty much in love with that spot! And exploring the Ny side.

C-hawk thanks I'll probably try that at some point
Salmon-crazy
Species: Salmon, trout, bass, pike

Post by Salmon-crazy »

Finally! landed one from shore this morning. I saw a couple bust the surface. When I saw the second one I cast out a good ole' Fishy1 Honey Bee in that area and let it sink to the bottom. This one hit after a couple of retrieves off the bottom. Pretty light strike. Fishy1 is such a great lure. Thanks Matt!!! Not large fish - 21", 3.24 lbs but it will be perfect for my Mom who's been wanting to have some fresh trout! Happy Thanksgiving to all the Forum. A great site and great members. I've learned a lot on from this site from all but have to send out a special thanks (seeing how its Thanksgiving) to my friend Fishy1 who has taught me more than I could have hoped for about the Salmon and Lake Trout here in the Lake and the rivers. Cant thank you enough!
I tried to post the pic..... will keep tryin if it doesn't show up here...
Attachments
laker.jpg
laker.jpg
Salmon-crazy

Post by Salmon-crazy »

next - I plan to get one on a fly. Been wanting to do that for some time now. I've tied these up hoping they'd work. From some of the stuff I've seen on youtube the rabbit fur flies seem to work well. if any one would care to share if they are using float, sink tip or full sink line I'd be interested to hear what you are using. thanks
Attachments
flies.jpg
Salmon-crazy

Post by Salmon-crazy »

Z.G wrote:
fishy1 wrote:
Z.G wrote:Went out yesterday for an hour and we got 3 on the fly. 1st was around 27", 2nd around 22", 3rd around 25". Can't say I saw a lamprey mark.
thanks for the report were you on shore? got a report from a member over there got into the lakers good today said it was crazy landed 25 the last i heard. he was on shore.
Was on shore, wind was crazy from the Vermont side!
troutcrazy wrote:
Z.G wrote:Went out yesterday for an hour and we got 3 on the fly. 1st was around 27", 2nd around 22", 3rd around 25". Can't say I saw a lamprey mark.
That sounds awesome. What kind of fly do they bite?
They bite a LOT of flies, really not very picky. I actually posted in this thread last year a photo of the flies I tie for them, here it is.

Hi - what kind of line do you guys use for Lakers - floating, sink tip or full sink? thanks. any info would be great. I'd like to get one on the fly rod for sure
Mr. Gill
Species: Bluegills

Post by Mr. Gill »

X2 on Fishy1. He's helped me out a lot on panfishing the lake and pointers on lake trout, too.
flyfish1
Species: Fish on the Fly

Post by flyfish1 »

Hey guys,
Good to see you all.
I tie my own flies as well and I like the ones you got. Do they have a name ? If not, let's call it RED Devil tail :twisted:
Red material for the throat, is it a red artic fox with another red feather or just fox ?

I think I ll make a tube fly version of this fly and have the hook slide out on a strike. That way my tail will be preserved for another predator. With the tubes, you can vary your hooks: singles, doubles, treble... I ll send some pics when I make them.

Also, I would like to know where did you get the jig tails ? I would like to tie some for bass and pike as well.
I see you are using Solarez UV epoxy ! I just order two for me. I heard they are TACK FREE !!! Can't wait to see if it's actually true. They all seem to be a bit tacky...

Thanks guys,
Z.G
Species: Anything that bites

Post by Z.G »

Salmon-crazy wrote:
Z.G wrote:
fishy1 wrote: thanks for the report were you on shore? got a report from a member over there got into the lakers good today said it was crazy landed 25 the last i heard. he was on shore.
Was on shore, wind was crazy from the Vermont side!
troutcrazy wrote: That sounds awesome. What kind of fly do they bite?
They bite a LOT of flies, really not very picky. I actually posted in this thread last year a photo of the flies I tie for them, here it is.

Hi - what kind of line do you guys use for Lakers - floating, sink tip or full sink? thanks. any info would be great. I'd like to get one on the fly rod for sure
Full sink(30ft), 350G Rio Striper line
Z.G
Species: Anything that bites

Post by Z.G »

flyfish1 wrote:Hey guys,
Good to see you all.
I tie my own flies as well and I like the ones you got. Do they have a name ? If not, let's call it RED Devil tail :twisted:
Red material for the throat, is it a red artic fox with another red feather or just fox ?

I think I ll make a tube fly version of this fly and have the hook slide out on a strike. That way my tail will be preserved for another predator. With the tubes, you can vary your hooks: singles, doubles, treble... I ll send some pics when I make them.

Also, I would like to know where did you get the jig tails ? I would like to tie some for bass and pike as well.
I see you are using Solarez UV epoxy ! I just order two for me. I heard they are TACK FREE !!! Can't wait to see if it's actually true. They all seem to be a bit tacky...

Thanks guys,
Thanks! No name for them, just something I created from my brief laker experience. They're tied on a 35mm articulation shank with trailer wire going back to the hook(lakers love the jiggy action). The tail is a "cohen attractor tail" and works extremely well, can be purchased online and will ship from Pat in NY - http://rusuperfly.com/index.php?main_pa ... cts_id=183

Good eye, the throat is red arctic fox(synthetic of course). The white is marabou, and the hook is an Ahrex predator trailer hook 1/0
flyfish1

Post by flyfish1 »

Perfect
What's the size you had for the curly tail ?
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

welcome back flyfish1. you should share your salmon river fishing with us. you really did well out there. tell didier the lakers are starting to move in a little.
flyfish1

Post by flyfish1 »

Hi Matt,
So, yes, I got super lucky on Salmon River. High flows were good to my friends and me. We were able to benefit from unfished waters due to high flows and we did pretty good. All fish were taken on blue egg sacks. Fish were pretty close to shore so it was fun. They were impossible to land due to high waters and fast flows. They would just rip you off. I didn t get any moster fish but they were all good chromers. Now, it should be on fire up river as all those fish are stacked. This is a very good year for Steelies on Salmon River.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

flyfish1 wrote:Hi Matt,
So, yes, I got super lucky on Salmon River. High flows were good to my friends and me. We were able to benefit from unfished waters due to high flows and we did pretty good. All fish were taken on blue egg sacks. Fish were pretty close to shore so it was fun. They were impossible to land due to high waters and fast flows. They would just rip you off. I didn t get any moster fish but they were all good chromers. Now, it should be on fire up river as all those fish are stacked. This is a very good year for Steelies on Salmon River.
thanks brancor. its tough fishing with those high flows
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

11/25/2017 got a wind warning report last night on facebook from will nolan but decided to try shore fishing for lakers early got there at 7 am and the white caps were at least 4 feet then so i decided to move on and fish a river.
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Whew, the south wind was pretty big today, for sure! I tried a new spot from shore for a little while today, that had access to deep water, in the lee of a cliff on the VT side. I saw one brave (or crazy) boat cross the lake to NY. Then I took the ferry. When I got to the NY spot I stood on shore for a while and assessed the situation before I decided it was safe enough to put in the canoe and head for the shelter of the rocks. I caught a few lakers, but no salmon. Most of the lakers bit the 3-way swivel rig, though I caught at least one casting a Kroc. It rained for a little while, and the wind calmed down, so I was able to try deeper water. The fishfinder showed plenty of bait in 150', from the bottom up to 75'. There were big marks down there, too, that sure looked like fish eating the bait. My diver only goes down 45' and boy did that drive me crazy, kind of like seeing fish busting water just out of casting range! Haha!

I stayed right til dark. Around dusk I saw fish jumping near shore, and one was a big salmon that I saw clear as day. Sure made it hard to leave.

I also fished Thanksgiving and the day before by Thompson's point. Zero lakers or salmon. One surprise bass. Marked bait down deep. Another boat said they caught a few salmon down 50' or more.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

troutcrazy wrote:Whew, the south wind was pretty big today, for sure! I tried a new spot from shore for a little while today, that had access to deep water, in the lee of a cliff on the VT side. I saw one brave (or crazy) boat cross the lake to NY. Then I took the ferry. When I got to the NY spot I stood on shore for a while and assessed the situation before I decided it was safe enough to put in the canoe and head for the shelter of the rocks. I caught a few lakers, but no salmon. Most of the lakers bit the 3-way swivel rig, though I caught at least one casting a Kroc. It rained for a little while, and the wind calmed down, so I was able to try deeper water. The fishfinder showed plenty of bait in 150', from the bottom up to 75'. There were big marks down there, too, that sure looked like fish eating the bait. My diver only goes down 45' and boy did that drive me crazy, kind of like seeing fish busting water just out of casting range! Haha!

I stayed right til dark. Around dusk I saw fish jumping near shore, and one was a big salmon that I saw clear as day. Sure made it hard to leave.

I also fished Thanksgiving and the day before by Thompson's point. Zero lakers or salmon. One surprise bass. Marked bait down deep. Another boat said they caught a few salmon down 50' or more.
saw you over there against the rocks around noon . sat and watched for 1/2 hour didnt see anything rise.