frostbite shore fishing for lakers updated 10/31/2017

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: shore fishing for lakers 11/4/2015

Post by fishy1 »

fishingmachine wrote:I should have known you would be up on this stuff fishy1,good luck out there,maybe you can change out some of those Kroc hooks to improve your landing ratio?My boat is put up for the winter but maybe I could come up and give you a hand landing them lakers on the rocks?
yeah im looking into it with some help. going to try and get some of those sure set hooks from luhr jensen if i can and change the other krocs out. your welcome to come up frank anytime. its a short trip from home. ill send you an email.
Last edited by fishy1 on Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

started the day by taking 2 advil for my leg had breaksfast and hit the road again for laker fishing and hit a tributary. had at least 4 foot waves when i got there and maybe even 5 but decided to give it a couple of hours. nothing the ist hour or so and i was ready to head to a river when i saw a real nice silver bust water dont know if it was a steelie or a salmon. so i kept casting and changing colors with no takers. then i saw another silver bust water and this one was a beast so it got my adrenenlin going. right after that i had a taker on and it wasnt a silver a nice laker that i landed easily with my longer net. then 15 minutes went by and another taker and landed him easily but with lots of fight in it. then some big lakers started busting water but no more takers. so around 9:30 am i headed for a river. came back at 3 pm for lakers and no takers with only 1 hit. i landed both lakers on the blue mackeral krocodile with the sure set hooks. both were around 24 inches.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Keep the action going Matt, we all love to hear about catching fish as our days on the water get fewer and further between. Talking about Kastmasters makes me reminisce as I have never caught that many fish on them, but the ones that I have ,have been good ones . Wherever I have fished in North America, I have carried a Kastmaster with me. I have even put them in my shaving kit just in case. They are just too handy for covering a lot of water, different depths, and never any trouble throwing into the wind. Sometimes once you find fish, pike ,bass ,bluefish, redfish, salmon,stripers,snook, and who knows what has ever broke me off, you can change to an easier fished lure. To me the action needs to be supplied by the angler. I don't really care how you tie one on, but you will not catch fish if you don't work your rod tip. These lures are nothing but a large chunk of steele,, made for casting long range and any action is entirely up to you. I don't think you could troll with one if you wanted to as I believe the lure would hang straight under the boat. I don't own but a couple, but since catching a 15 lb bluefish from a Cape Cod jetty 30years ago, I have never been without. Oh, did I mention Barracuda?
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

C-Hawk wrote:Keep the action going Matt, we all love to hear about catching fish as our days on the water get fewer and further between. Talking about Kastmasters makes me reminisce as I have never caught that many fish on them, but the ones that I have ,have been good ones . Wherever I have fished in North America, I have carried a Kastmaster with me. I have even put them in my shaving kit just in case. They are just too handy for covering a lot of water, different depths, and never any trouble throwing into the wind. Sometimes once you find fish, pike ,bass ,bluefish, redfish, salmon,stripers,snook, and who knows what has ever broke me off, you can change to an easier fished lure. To me the action needs to be supplied by the angler. I don't really care how you tie one on, but you will not catch fish if you don't work your rod tip. These lures are nothing but a large chunk of steele,, made for casting long range and any action is entirely up to you. I don't think you could troll with one if you wanted to as I believe the lure would hang straight under the boat. I don't own but a couple, but since catching a 15 lb bluefish from a Cape Cod jetty 30years ago, I have never been without. Oh, did I mention Barracuda?
thanks jeff. ist time i ever used a kastmaster and the only one i owned but it worked except for getting the lakers in the net. bought another one yesterday in gold color the only one i could find. a brother of a freind uses them and told me they were right on for salmon in alaska. going to buy some more in the future but im a kroc man. what i did notice is they do cast well into the wind so they will come in handy. i plan on changing the hooks to a single though unless i can find some sure set hooks. i bet that 15 lb blue and barracuda was fun. biggest bluefish i ever caught was around 9 lbs. tight lines.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

just heard from a fisherman from new jersey that caught 14 stripers thanksgiving day and a 18 lb blue fish on a blue/silver krocodile.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

The tiny size kastmasters make awesome jigging spoons for perch and pan fish. Blue/silver, chartreuse/silver are my favorites. I put small single hooks on them and tip them with spikes or wax worms. I have one in most of my boxes too, and I always have a small box in my vehicle with a couple kastmasters, white jigs, Mepps, hooks, sinkers and a bobber or two. You can catch a lot of fish on those lures alone.
Registered Kayak
Species: Salmon and the rest

Post by Registered Kayak »

I have to agree that kastmasters are a good staple for me when i go after FAT fallfish in the rivers. One of my favorite species to go after when it is HORRID out in the summer. They also work pretty good for ice fishing like jimbow said.
They are bullets to cast with 4lb test with a crappie rod.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

had a great start this morning 11/28 landed 3 nice lakers one might of been around 10 lbs or so and lost 2 all before 7:30 am. then it slowed for some reason even though the lakers were still there. i saw some following the lure and then shy away at the last second. matt and his freind showed up around 8:30 am or 9 am not sure exactly. matt with a streamer on his fly rod had a hit and miss right away. i moved over on the rocks to spread it out a little. saw a couple follow my lure again but no takers. about 15 minutes or so i had a hit and a splash close to shore with a salmon or steelhead busting water threw the lure. looked at lure and it took some paint off on the back end where i tied my line to the lure. it probably never had the hooks in his mouth and he just swiped at it. matts freind had a couple of hits soon after . both matt and his freind saw lakers follow their lures in and then shy away. i went home around 10 am. got an email from matt saying they didnt do anything later . stayed till noon. no Imagepics my cameras battery was dead and in the vehicle. do have a pic of the lure i used.
Last edited by fishy1 on Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

jimbow wrote:The tiny size kastmasters make awesome jigging spoons for perch and pan fish. Blue/silver, chartreuse/silver are my favorites. I put small single hooks on them and tip them with spikes or wax worms. I have one in most of my boxes too, and I always have a small box in my vehicle with a couple kastmasters, white jigs, Mepps, hooks, sinkers and a bobber or two. You can catch a lot of fish on those lures alone.
jim going to try them this winter only the bigger sizes also for lakers near the bottom. bought some today.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Registered Kayak wrote:I have to agree that kastmasters are a good staple for me when i go after FAT fallfish in the rivers. One of my favorite species to go after when it is HORRID out in the summer. They also work pretty good for ice fishing like jimbow said.
They are bullets to cast with 4lb test with a crappie rod.
mark they are bullets to toss even with 12lb big game trilene. i dont care for the hooks on them though.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

fished 4 hours this morning 11/29 with only 1 hit. saw a couple big ones bust water at 7 am but no takers. after 9 am saw about 6 or 7 surface and still no takers. the temperature change was rapid so my past experiences with cold fronts is they shut down. threw 7 different lures with all 7 different colors. my rod guides kept icing up so i spent about every 15 minutes in the vehicle unthawing my guides. was good to see many frostbiters on the lake from where i was to home. hope you all did well. any reports would be great.
jack lv
Species: cast rode

Post by jack lv »

This morning saw somebody with five poles catch 2. See him continue changing his lure. In a river pool. Caught at 8 O'Clock and 10 O'Clock AM.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

jack lv wrote:This morning saw somebody with five poles catch 2. See him continue changing his lure. In a river pool. Caught at 8 O'Clock and 10 O'Clock AM.
thanks . i know who and where that was. how big?
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

12/1 had a short window this morning got there early and the outside temperature was 19 degrees when i arrived. started casting with ice forming after the ist cast on the guides and line. 3rd cast tried to cast and all i got was a ball off the reel. froze solid. hoping i wasnt in for a big mess went to the pickup to unthaw the rod and line. got lucky with no knots and was back at it again. saw one laker bust water and kept casting in its vincinity but no hits. left the lake skunked for the 2nd time in a row. for some reason im thinking the lakers are spawned out and have left the 2 areas i have been fishing. i just received a call 2 fisherman i know are now fishing at one of the spots and will let me know tonight how they make out. hoping its a good report.
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

fishy1 wrote:12/1 had a short window this morning got there early and the outside temperature was 19 degrees when i arrived. started casting with ice forming after the ist cast on the guides and line. 3rd cast tried to cast and all i got was a ball off the reel. froze solid. hoping i wasnt in for a big mess went to the pickup to unthaw the rod and line. got lucky with no knots and was back at it again. saw one laker bust water and kept casting in its vincinity but no hits. left the lake skunked for the 2nd time in a row. for some reason im thinking the lakers are spawned out and have left the 2 areas i have been fishing. i just received a call 2 fisherman i know are now fishing at one of the spots and will let me know tonight how they make out. hoping its a good report.
Mostly done with the spawn in the Lake and rivers. Fishing will slow until we get rain to bring chromers. Until then I wanna scout some new rivers!