frostbite shore fishing for lakers updated 10/31/2017

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: shore fishing for lakers 11/4/2015

Post by fishy1 »

Registered Kayak wrote:8-)
That's pretty cool you can catch Lakers from shore that big. I see them all the time over here in Burlington near the lights but they don't really care for biting. That one 28"er had some marvelous colors too!
the one with the marvelous colors was just caught and released. the one in the pic with me holding him was also very colorful but had to keep him and put him in the cooler in the pickup and they fade their colors. if you can see them in burlington you should be able to catch them. go get them. there a blast catching this time of the year.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Fishy1:

It sounds like a blast. I would love to try that sometime! / Jim
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

tamiron wrote:Fishy1:

It sounds like a blast. I would love to try that sometime! / Jim
jim:
its an addiction that wont go away. lol.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

went up again for a couple of hours 11/6/2015 and it was still dark when i arrived but decided to spin cast any how. on my 8th or 9th cast bang a hit with a fish busting water when i got it closer to shore i could see it was a salmon and about 4 or 5 feet from shore it shook loose. it was in its spawning colors. just as it was getting light a hooked into another salmon that i released and it was in its spawning colors. both salmon were about 17 inches. they must be in with the lakers spawning. i was really puzzled by this. i should have taken a pic. from 6:30 am to 8:15 am i then landed 5 lakers all small compared to the ones i have been getting 19 inches to 22 inches. the big surprise was i caught a smelt it actually attacked my lure. they were all over the shore line the lakers had to be pushing them in. had lots of hits but the wind was mostly out of the west and kept my line limp and was hard setting the hook it seems. going to work on that a little better next time.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

The teeth on smelt define them as a predator! Too many people only think of them as forage. Big mistake. Young of the year smelt will be predators at the lower end of the food chain including all fry that are hatched a month or more after they were!
Last edited by tamiron on Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

I've caught smelt trolling before.... If you look up smelt in master angler o. State website, I have a big one I trolled up a couple years ago. They will hit a honey bee!
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

I bet that smelt was up in that area eating laker eggs
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

took a freinds boy fishing for lakers 11/8/2015 to see if he could catch his ist laker. we started out with the bite fairly well as i caught a 22 inch laker 4th cast and he lost a nice one right after that. then it cooled for awhile and he was having problems with his line on his spool. 2 or 3 messes later i gave him one of my rods to use by then it was around 9 am and only one laker to show for it. had several follow our lures in but no takers. so i moved about 25 yards north where the shoreline was rocky and started casting. 5 th or 6 th cast i missed one then casted out again and had another hit and missed again. decided to slow my retrieve and had another hit and miss so i stopped my retrieve and started again and bang my lure got nailed. a nice 26 inch laker. my freinds boy was cold and kept getting stuck on the rocks so he went to the pickup to get warm . i was still spin casting in the same spot and as i got to shore my rod doubled and ist thought was how did i get stuck there when i pulled on the rod to my surprise a beast of a salmon busted out of the water 3 feet from me with my lure in the corner of his mouth and back down he went throwing the lure and breaking my fenwick rod 7 or 8 inches from the tip. my 2014 christmas present was now a 7 or 8 inches shorter. i was just stunned. fished a little longer with lots of short hits and went home. my freinds boy said he had fun and went home and told his mom i have to buy some new lures like matt was using. he wants to go again and his mom to. i can replace the rod with the warranty but the boy wanting to go again made my day and his mom to.
i sent my fenwick salmon/steelhead rod back where the rod tip broke and they are replacing it fully. very good news as fenwicks 5 year warranty does work.
Last edited by fishy1 on Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hairbone

Post by Hairbone »

That was a beautiful rod you had Matt. Glad it is under warranty.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

11/11/2015 no school so riley again joined me shore fishing for lakers. started real slow as we got there at daylight with only one hit. then around 7:45 am riley had a laker stop him cold and double his ugly stick and off he came as the drag was to tight. fixed his drag and took a break and talked it over with him how he could have maybe landed that fish. 8 am started spin casting again and on my 3 or 4th cast i had a real hard hit and was hooked into a beast. it was really fighting near bottom and i was having trouble even moving him up a little when all of a sudden my line snapped and the fish was gone with my only hot lure i had. zebra mussels on the bottom had sliced my line. riley put the net down and was also discouraged. thats why its called fishing though i said to riley there is more big ones there. at 9;15 am or so riley had a sharp hit and finally hooked into a laker. fought pretty good and after a brief fight busting water i got it in the net. the look on rileys face was unreal and the sad face went away. a nice 26 inch laker his ist and probably wont be his last. before we left to go home i said to riley lets try that other spot where its rocky. so we did and several big lakers were busting water there 5 to 10 feet from shore and we could see them but no takers with just one hit and miss. will post a pic soon of rileys ist laker.Image
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

if you want to enlarge the photo just left click once in the left hand corner on top.
Registered Kayak
Species: Salmon and the rest

Post by Registered Kayak »

Youve got a gold mine over there for sure!! Cant really beat catching lakers from shore. Nice report!
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

You did better than us
Hairbone

Post by Hairbone »

Matt,

Headed down to pennsylvania to celebrate the anniversary with the wife. Just happens to be I will be in close proximity to cabelas and bass pro shops :D. I might need to find some of those fish catching casting irons :mrgreen:
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Hairbone wrote:Matt,

Headed down to pennsylvania to celebrate the anniversary with the wife. Just happens to be I will be in close proximity to cabelas and bass pro shops :D. I might need to find some of those fish catching casting irons :mrgreen:
hope you found what i was looking for because i cant find another like it. have some like it but in trolling spoons.