White perch harvest with a salmon surprise

Check and share here for the latest ice fishing reports!
Del Gue
Species: Salmon, Pike, Lake Trout

Re: White perch harvest with a salmon surprise

Post by Del Gue »

barn1 wrote:New to this forum so excuse me if I should know this but...

why do you guys want to eradicate the white perch (which you will never be able to do by the way)?

Barn.
I find them to be a tasty fish, not quite as good as yellow perch but larger. Unfortunately White Perch and Salmon feed on a lot of the same fish. During the summer when fishing for Salmon, the White perch will hit your lure as soon as you put it in the water. Great if your fishing for perch, lousy if your fishing for Salmon.
We don't really want to eradicate them, just teach them not to hit Salmon lures. ;)
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will go buy a boat.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Matt wrote:

why do you guys want to eradicate the white perch (which you will never be able to do by the way)?

Barn.
I think it's because they hammer peoples spoons when trolling...must be a bummer if you're reeling in dozens of little white perch while salmon fishing.
Yeah, that's about it Barn.
They sometimes get in the way when trolling for Salmon.
Your right, we could never get rid of them.
They're an invasive that is here to stay.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
tiny

Post by tiny »

They also compete with native fish for food resources and in the Great Lakes they found that white perch eat tons of walleye eggs and are having a major impact on the fishery. I did find it ironic and a little sad that we were catching an invasive fish that were puking up piles of another invasive fish (alewives).
Raz wrote:
Matt wrote:

Barn.
I think it's because they hammer peoples spoons when trolling...must be a bummer if you're reeling in dozens of little white perch while salmon fishing.
Yeah, that's about it Barn.
They sometimes get in the way when trolling for Salmon.
Your right, we could never get rid of them.
They're an invasive that is here to stay.
Del Gue
Species: Salmon, Pike, Lake Trout

Post by Del Gue »

Took this advise and after a stop at Dockside to supply ;-) Grabbed a VERY light rod, put 2 lb ice line on it tied to Halis tipped with spikes. Took a while for the whites to move in but when they did WOW! Fast and furious and with in a short period of time the pail was full. Tiny was right. I was using a Bluegill rod and the tip would only bend an inch or so when they would hit. You set the hook and pull in a 10 inch whitey. Amazing such a large fish will hit so softly. Makes me wonder how many I didn't notice before fishing with my old rod. Hope the ice lasts. Would like to do that again.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will go buy a boat.