Alewives

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Fishinpole
Species: Trout/Salmon

Alewives

Post by Fishinpole »

We caught many lakers and a good number of salmon this year in the Willsboro bay area and found only one fish with a Alewive in it. two years ago at least half the fish had them. Is it our area we fish or are they decreasing in number. Anyone having the same results?
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: Alewives

Post by fishy1 »

i didnt see many alewifes this spring in the westport/port henry area . they were in great numbers the last 3 or 4 years but not this year. not sure if it had anything to do with our fishing for salmon and browns but this was our best spring so far , could be their was a lack of food . their was some small smelt in some areas but not alot.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

I have not seen an alewife from the bridge to Cumberland Head since I started in mid April. One 6 lb salmon from Port Henry area had 30 small smelt in him back in May. Fishing is definitely different this year, but better. The bait does not seem to hang around in one place as long.
Captain Paul
Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

Post by Captain Paul »

The last 2 winters where hard on the Alwife population we had major die offs from extreme temp. changes on the main lake . We have been seeing some Alwifes in Lake Trout bur they are Big ones 6 to 8 inches long and a lot of Smelts