ON THE LAKE TOMORROW

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
pierre
Species: salmon

Re: ON THE LAKE TOMORROW

Post by pierre »

Sorry if it took so long for the reply. Not that I don't want to show the pictures of the lures I am using, as it's fun for everyone to find the right lure that will work on a specific day with the right color. On that day I was alone and it had been a while since I was on Lake Champlain and the posts of fishing on Lake Champlain weren't very good. It was for me a defeat to find the right lure to catch some fish ex: colors, spoons, stick bait etc. and I believe that's the kind of defeat every fisherman should experience in order to catch fish.

The only thing I must say is change the treble hooks on the stick bait. The ones they come with are no good.

Pierre
Pier waves spoons
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Allo Pierre,
You amaze me, you always seem to find the right location and lures to catch fish. You are gifted.
Thanks for sharing your experiene with others. and merci for the pics too.

Gecha
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Thanks for the pics Pierre! It will give others ideas too. The treble hooks that you are using are RED. Is that the color that you prefer?
Last edited by tamiron on Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

Thanks guys for all the info. The pics really help. Hopefully the day will come when I can return the favor to another newbie. Downrigging is quite a science in itself. It reminds me of my first days with a flyrod. My victory was landing a 14" Rainbow on the Dog River. I'm sure my first Salmon will be a knee knocker, too.
Vtfishinglady
Species: Bass, Northern, Salmon

Post by Vtfishinglady »

Hope someone sees this question after the fact. Pierre, you said that it was a 1.5" stick bait (assuming in the picture above). That means those are really small lures. Is this typical?
I have purchased a bunch of Salmon lures (or at least I think they are) and they are pretty small, but this is ever smaller I think. So is the spoon really < 1.5"? No wonder it's hard to catch salmon!

Terri
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Vtfishinglady wrote:Hope someone sees this question after the fact. Pierre, you said that it was a 1.5" stick bait (assuming in the picture above). That means those are really small lures. Is this typical?
I have purchased a bunch of Salmon lures (or at least I think they are) and they are pretty small, but this is ever smaller I think. So is the spoon really < 1.5"? No wonder it's hard to catch salmon!

Terri
Terri:

Tamiron doesn't have a spoon shorter than 2.16 in. and have 5 sizes bigger than that have all caught many, many salmon. I have a feeling that the size of the Stickbait above is probably a bit larger than stated. Even if it were 2.5 in it would still have no trouble catching fish
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Vtfishinglady

Post by Vtfishinglady »

tamiron wrote:
Vtfishinglady wrote:Hope someone sees this question after the fact. Pierre, you said that it was a 1.5" stick bait (assuming in the picture above). That means those are really small lures. Is this typical?

Terri
Terri:

Tamiron doesn't have a spoon shorter than 2.16 in. and have 5 sizes bigger than that have all caught many, many salmon. I have a feeling that the size of the Stickbait above is probably a bit larger than stated. Even if it were 2.5 in it would still have no trouble catching fish
Thank you.. I've seen honey bees mentioned here but never seen in a store, can I buy local? Where should I target my purchases for this time of year or salmon in general (2.5, 3, 3.5")? We have many pike and bass spoons which are all significantly bigger in the 3-5" or so range for the spoon itself (without the hook). We have been buying things like 'stingers' from Dicks in the L size which means 'light and small". Should I be buying the next size up? Can I buy honey bees local? Also, just looked at your site, what does Small, Medium, Large, MP6 pertain to in size? Congratulations on your lure catching the LCI Salmon!

Thanks for the help,
Terri
Thorny

Post by Thorny »

Thanks for the report Pierre. I need to try some sticks on the diggers once in a while. I run them in the spring on flat water. Do you ever run them behind dodgers?
Thorny
Captain Rob Thorne
Captain Thorny's Fishing Charters
Rcthorne1@aol.com
vtfishin
Species: Salmon, Steel, eyes, bass...

Post by vtfishin »

Vtfishinglady wrote:
tamiron wrote:
Vtfishinglady wrote:
Terri
Terri:

Thank you.. I've seen honey bees mentioned here but never seen in a store, can I buy local? Where should I target my purchases for this time of year or salmon in general (2.5, 3, 3.5")? We have many pike and bass spoons which are all significantly bigger in the 3-5" or so range for the spoon itself (without the hook). We have been buying things like 'stingers' from Dicks in the L size which means 'light and small". Should I be buying the next size up? Can I buy honey bees local? Also, just looked at your site, what does Small, Medium, Large, MP6 pertain to in size? Congratulations on your lure catching the LCI Salmon!

Thanks for the help,
Terri
Honeybees can be purchased locally at Dockside Outdoors
25 Raymond Road
Colchester, VT 05446
(802) 891-6158

Crazy Ivans can be purchased at Dockside and from Ramel at:
81 Bridge Street
Morristown, VT 05661-8504
(802) 888-6210

and Ditillios is another fine establishment.
794 Shelburne Road
South Burlington, VT 05403-693

...not that I have a problem or anything...
Vtfishinglady

Post by Vtfishinglady »

thanks Vtfishin, I went to both Dockside Outdoors and Ditillios Friday and purchased many of the fine Crazy Ivans and as an added bonus, they had honey bee's as well. Both places provide great service but Dockside certainly provided a lot more knowledgeable advise. I know Ditillios well because my youngest son played football with James Ditillio for a few years. I purchased my first crankbait reel from them a long time ago.

Terri