Lamoille River boat launch

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
quaybaykwah
Species: salmon

Lamoille River boat launch

Post by quaybaykwah »

'Evening Lake Champlain salmon enthousiasts!...

Would anyone be able to tell me if the Lamoille River boat ramp (in Sandbar State Park) can currently be used to launch from? I see the water level is 100.5 feet so I'm wondering if that area is totally submerged.

My brother in law and I should be on the lake (and setting off from Sandbar State Park if possible) this coming Sunday.

A great fishing season to all!!!!! Looking forward to seeing you on the water. This time around, we'll be using my awesome (sarcasm here) 14' red Starcraft.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Lamoille River boat launch

Post by Reelax »

Not really clear on what launch you are referring to. I would say the river launch would get you out into the outter bay fine with lake at 100fow. I also think the best choice may be the apple island state launch that would put you in the inland sea north of the sandbar causeway. I am hearing the salmon fishing in the southern inland sea is pretty good right now.

Good luck and welcome aboard
Matt B
quaybaykwah

Post by quaybaykwah »

Thanks Matt!

I was refering to this ramp: http://lakechamplainbyway.com/index.php ... link_id=49 When the water level drops, larger vessels can no longer make it out of the river and onto the lake so I guess that (and the fact access will cost you once the park opens in May) is the reason this is a lesser known launch. But boy is it conveniently located! But then... so is Apple Island from what I now see.

I'm only concerned about the wind conditions they're forecasting for Sunday. Windy and out of the North-West. I'm thinking Apple Island might be treacherous for my 14 footer. If we can set off from the Lamoille River launch (just south of the Causeway), my thinking is the Causeway will provide us shelter from the northerly.

I'm also considering the Mallett's Bay ramp as a plan B. How's the salmon fishing inside that Bay?

Thanks!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

The Lamoille river is typically OK to launch out of if you want to get to the outter bay. Trolling in front of the river at the drop may work well. The bay does hold salmon, but I would suggest the river mouth or the sandbar flats this time of year. You will not have to pay at any of the 3 launches, they
are all state launches. Looking at the windfinder site, it looks fishable out of apple island till afternoon on Sunday, even out of a 14' boat. I may be out there shaking down REELAX that day if all goes well.

Good luck.
Matt B
quaybaykwah

Post by quaybaykwah »

Thanks a lot for all the info Matt! Hope to see you out there on Sunday.

Michel
flyguy
Species: atlantic salmon

Post by flyguy »

I agree with Matt that Apple Island State launch is a good bet for you. It is free and it will put you on the IS. With a NW wind forecast. you can stay in the lee all the way up past the cow banks, if necessary. The mouth of the Lamoile could be rougher.
JK47
Species: All Species

Post by JK47 »

Here are photos of the different launches. All were usable yesterday.

River launch: Note the dock rail under the surface. If it's stained, you might miss it.

New docks going in soon

Apple state launch

Apple private launch

Private ramp is under water but looked the best out of all three.
quaybaykwah

Post by quaybaykwah »

Thanks JK47!

As luck would have it, as I was about to leave from Quebec City to Montreal (to sleep at my brother in laws), it suddenly dawned upon me to check that my trailer lights were working. They were not. :( Couldn't leave in the dark with no trailer lights working. Unsafe, risking getting a ticket, not to mention the problems we could have had with the US border patrol.

So I'm going to have to get this fixed and hopefully be on the Sandbar next Sunday.

When I see your pictures JK47, I also see my boat on the water and my fly rod fully bent. Longing for fishing big time!