Question above trolling for salmon????????

Share info on fishing Champlain.
cpmaple
Species: salmon,lakers and catfish

Question above trolling for salmon????????

Post by cpmaple »

Hello first year trolling for salmon so far so good. Now that the water is warming how far down do most fish and how far back. Are the vertical blades worth the money will they help produce more fish? We have been very pleased with the fish but now getting a lot of stockys am I doing something wrong? One more quick question when does everyone stop running planner boards? by that I mean when the fish move north or is it a day to day thing if the fish are high or low in the water column? Thanks for any input cpmaple (chad) from crown point ny.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Question above trolling for salmon????????

Post by Reelax »

Vertical blades are always worth a try, even deep. Planer boards are effective till you cant get deep enough off them.... Lead core and clip weights extend planer board effectiveness for the whole season..... Sometimes if you are getting stockies, try moving deeper to see if the bigger fish are under them.

Right now bite seems to be moving from 15 to 30 to as much as 50 feet down depending on temp.... Deeper as sun rises high.

Just my opinions... Hope it helps some...
Matt B
luntfrnd
Species: silver and gold

Post by luntfrnd »

How do you determine how far back off the ball when fishing deeper? Like any depth down to 50 ft. Is there a general rule of thumb for the lead?
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

If you run blades, typically you have your lure tight to the blades as they are attracting agressive fish for you... (Tight is typically 4-10 foot back depending on personal preferance.) If you are running no blades, then you setback as far as you want. I sometimes run tight to ball with no blades, and sometime run as far back as 150 foot. Typically I start with 50 foot setback with no blades as a start and adjust if needed... ( My numbers are rough, as I count line pulls to get to the number)

Depth I am fishing really doesn't matter with respect to setback unless you are in really skinny water and need LONG setbacks to find fish you are spookin with the boat...

I am sure there are MANY points of view on this.. Mine are very basic... Other captains may have different ideas, etc.. I know a few that only round off thier setback distance the nearest foot... (IE; I am back 127ft, not 128 or 126, 127!) ;)
Matt B
Cas
Species: the kind that swim

Post by Cas »

Just don't run about 150' back from the ball, if the ball is down 30', and you have 3 or more colors of lead core running just out the side of the boat, as, speaking from experience, and a big oops, they will cross and tangle. :o

However if your lead core is on boards out to the side, you should be fine.
________
Mike
cpmaple
Species: salmon,lakers and catfish

Post by cpmaple »

Gentleman thanks for all the input and i'm headed out in the am for a while gonna head toward barber pt/ lighthouse area thanks again chad
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

Cas wrote:Just don't run about 150' back from the ball, if the ball is down 30', and you have 3 or more colors of lead core running just out the side of the boat, as, speaking from experience, and a big oops, they will cross and tangle. :o

That explains a real mess the other day. :)
Black Ghost (Ken)
Species: Salmon et al

Post by Black Ghost (Ken) »

Yea. Leadcore doesn't untwist very easily.

Ken
Black Ghost (Ken)
tiny

Post by tiny »

Cas wrote:Just don't run about 150' back from the ball, if the ball is down 30', and you have 3 or more colors of lead core running just out the side of the boat, as, speaking from experience, and a big oops, they will cross and tangle. :o

My bad on that one... At least I'm good at untangling big messes of line.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Oh jeez...we had a slide diver and lead core marriage yesterday. It wasn't pretty. Lots of lead core in the garbage bag.