Schulyer, Whalons & of course...south

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Green Manalishi
Species: Salmonoids...

Schulyer, Whalons & of course...south

Post by Green Manalishi »

Wednesday...Hit the trench again, went 0 for 4, but 2 snapped the line. May need to come up with some better knots for 6# fluorocarbon. Later decided to try Schulyer, bottom bounced @ 35 feet, taking one 5# laker on a purple stinger and another on a purple/pink Honeybee, then another 15"...my first time dragging bottom, we worked out a good system with 3 in the boat...I worked the downrigger (manual), Gary held the rod with bail open and thumb on the spool and Mike drove calling out depths. It was intense!...and a great way to kill a few hours. 8-)

Thursday...we had gotten a tip about Split Rock point, and so the fleet (Green Manalishi, The Mako and the J-Rae) headed up there bright and early to try to make a go of it.
Marked a lot of fish deep, but apparently the feeding frenzy in the 30' foot range had finished during the night. The J-Rae went off to look for perch in Converse, and about an hour later called needing a tow back to Westport :roll: ...so we did the Death Troll while towing...no fish.

It was our turn to cook dinner, but my buddy Jeff, whose boat motor had developed a problem before the trip and was riding on the Mako, was desperate for a salmon...even though he never said anything, we could tell :cry: . So his childhood friend Gary gave up his seat on my boat for us to head south again. We started out using orange and gold @ 6 feet, but soon got to talking with Tim Ryan and changed up our game plan based on his advice....we got Jeff his salmon and then tried for more, Tim was helping us tremendously
...unfortunately we had to get back to the cabin to cook dinner...Paella with Brown trout, Salmon and Laker

Again, thank you Tim Ryan...

Chris :mrgreen:
Last edited by Green Manalishi on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish don't play politics, that's why I like them...
cpmaple
Species: salmon,lakers and catfish

Re: Schulyer, Whalons & of course...south

Post by cpmaple »

The bit in the bay was ok last night but like tim said morning bit is way better. I went 3 for 5 on salmon last night largest being 2.5lbs and 1 for 1 on browns that was 4.9lbs good night all and all better than getting nothing.I seen you folks out there nice night with a little wave action and gray skies. back out this weekend to see if we can pick up a few more before the fish leave the bay. cpmaple
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Schulyer, Whalons & of course...south

Post by Reelax »

Great report, looking forward to the pictures!!
Matt B