2024 DYP derby results. (13th annual)

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

2024 DYP derby results. (13th annual)

Post by Reelax »

Well the fleet was welcomed by calm seas and warm air for this years DYP. Slowmbite for most all struggling to get to double didgets across the fleet. A quick run to wesport provided the action needed to land the biggest fish by 9am. Congrats to Mat Gilbert VT2U for his 3.05lb 20” salmon that was enough to seal the deal for the win aboard Reelax:)

Caught 7 down on a cheater 2ft off the transom in partridge harbour.

Bbq and award ceremony enjoyed by all!

Thanks for all participants this year…

Please add your stories or accounts of the day here if you like!!

Fish on!!!
Attachments
IMG_9295.jpeg
IMG_9295.jpeg (184.76 KiB) Viewed 1350 times
IMG_9308.jpeg
IMG_9308.jpeg (219.86 KiB) Viewed 1350 times
IMG_9310.jpeg
IMG_9310.jpeg (245.5 KiB) Viewed 1350 times
IMG_9320.jpeg
IMG_9320.jpeg (250.33 KiB) Viewed 1350 times
IMG_9321.jpeg
IMG_9321.jpeg (168.32 KiB) Viewed 1350 times
IMG_9317.jpeg
IMG_9317.jpeg (228.66 KiB) Viewed 1350 times
IMG_9324.jpeg
IMG_9324.jpeg (139.41 KiB) Viewed 1350 times
IMG_9328.jpeg
IMG_9328.jpeg (265.71 KiB) Viewed 1350 times
IMG_9333.jpeg
IMG_9333.jpeg (241.91 KiB) Viewed 1350 times
Matt B
Mistress
Species: cold water

Re: 2024 DYP derby results. (13th annual)

Post by Mistress »

It was yet another great day on the water and good to see so many out on the troll and back at the access for the barbecue. I did not enter the DYP because my schedule is an ever moving target this time of year given my line of work, but we made it out.
We launched at 5:30 and the bite was slow for the first 3 hours, we made 2 moves and finally found the slippery silver at 9:00 with no other boats around our immediate area and managed to pick up 2 salmon and 4 lakers in 2 passes, however I think my third turn was too obvious as it attracted 4 boats like seagulls on fries in a McDonalds parking lot :lol: Can’t say I blame them though, the fish up until 9 or so had a serious case of lock jaw. All fish were caught 10-20’ down, longlines with bullets and down riggers. CI Pink and Chart green spoons along with one on wonder bread worked today and my fishing partner Jim caught his PB Champlain salmon, a 23” 4.04 lb. beauty. All told we boated 6 salmon and 9 lakers in 3 1/2 hours which more than made up for the first 3 hours of notta!
Looking forward to seeing you all out on the water this summer!
Pat
Attachments
IMG_8037.jpeg
IMG_8037.jpeg (159.76 KiB) Viewed 1327 times
IMG_8038.jpeg
IMG_8038.jpeg (220.37 KiB) Viewed 1327 times
IMG_8021.jpeg
IMG_8021.jpeg (183.17 KiB) Viewed 1327 times
Mistress
Species: cold water

Post by Mistress »

Follow up to yesterday’s DYP post….
My buddy Jim performed a forensic autopsy on the salmon we caught yesterday outside of Converse (on the VT side) and one of the 17” salmon’s stomach was CHUCKED FULL of mayflies which explains why we had 2 hits 20’ off the stern while setting lines out. I would suggest anyone fishing that area in the next few days run a spoon or streamer right on top 30’ back
Attachments
IMG_8042.png
IMG_8042.png (312.7 KiB) Viewed 1247 times
Skylander
Species: That which swims & tastes good

Post by Skylander »

Thank you to all who contribute to planning this event and continue to move it forward. With the push back of dates I was actually in the region and able to participate! I vote for keeping this weekend locked in.
I love fishing this area of Champlain, but only get down there a couple times a year at best, so it really was a treat. The feast and fellowship is certainly a bonus to the day, as it is nice to put faces and boats to form names!
The day aboard Homewrecker was great. I had fished with Dean once prior a couple years back so familiarity was comforting. I love the vessel and his outfitting of the craft is top notch.
A slow bite compared to recent reports has us a bit concerned by 8am and we considered making a run and searching out different waters, but as we all know, one fish changes everything. As we started to pull our set and make a move, an 18” salmon made a bad choice. Wisdom whispered to both of us, “Don’t leave fish to find fish.”
We stayed and pounded the water we were in, although we never did find a screen of great bait, we steadily picked them out with the exception of a couple hour span in the day. All in all, double digit totals with more silver than lakers is a great bad day of fishing and I’d do it every time out given the choice!
The only regret is not getting a glimpse of the one that broke everything off as we approached quitting hour. It was heavy and violent head shakes, but as the sliding cheater to set on the fixed lure that was 13’ down combined with a powerful run… the hopes and dreams of the ‘24 DYP hardware were all but done.
I awoke from a dream of a downrigger release early this morning so I know the day will be forever etched in my soul. Looking forward to the next time, thanks again!
campskylandvt.com
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Congrats Mat and Matt aboard Reelax for your winning fish, and also to all participants, it must have been a great day on the water.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Congratulations Matt and Mat. Well done!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

What a great day out there.

This year I was lucky enough to be included again on the group text that plans the DYP. I gotta be honest, that's half of the fun of the derby. Especially when Homewrecker and Reelax start getting after each other.

My boys who have always been out with me in years past are quickly growing up, and are involved in Varsity Baseball, Track, Fire Department, Scouts, etc., etc. So couldn't make it this year. Luckily my girls were willing to put up with a day of fishing with Dad. We boated a few fish in the 3 hours or so of actual water time, (they're not exactly trolling veterans yet, I was really trying to not bore them to death). Mary, the baby of the family 7/7 kids, got a 19" salmon, and a decent laker, probably 5 lbs or so. Tess, my 5/7 kid, got a slightly smaller salmon than Mary. The laker fight with Mary was pretty fun to watch. There's just something really enjoyable about watching a kid get manhandled around by a big angry fish, haha.

Here's a few pictures I got.

IMG_20240518_101920_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240518_101920_HDR.jpg (87.7 KiB) Viewed 961 times
IMG_20240518_101919_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240518_101919_HDR.jpg (85.83 KiB) Viewed 961 times
IMG_20240518_101420_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240518_101420_HDR.jpg (82.51 KiB) Viewed 961 times
IMG_20240518_093638_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240518_093638_HDR.jpg (93.51 KiB) Viewed 961 times
IMG_20240518_093639_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240518_093639_HDR.jpg (94.47 KiB) Viewed 961 times

One thing I gotta say about this tournament, and this group of guys in particular, is that they are a rare find in today's world, and an even rarer find in the fishing world. To sum it up in a few words, I'd say welcoming, accepting, and generosity. As much as mistrust, conflict, and "joining a side in order to fight the other" is happening everywhere today, and spreading like a disease, These guys are the cure. Excellent examples of what real men should be.

Q: Who is the DYP open to? A: Everybody. Q: Do you need a boat? A: No, we'll provide you with one. Q: How much experience do you need? A: None. Q: Does age or gender matter? A: No. Q: How much does it cost? A: It's free.

Q: So let me get this straight. I get to enter a derby targeting the most sought after species of fish in the lake, you take me out on your boat, use your gear, tackle and fuel, and you show me your tips, tricks, techniques and fishing spots that it took you a lifetime to accumulate, and if we win, we both get our names on the plaques?

A: Yeah. Just bring something for the barbecue after.

Q: Thats crazy. Who puts this on?

A: All the guys point at each other, none taking credit. (Although they are all in agreement it was Dean's idea).

Thats one of the things that deserves the most respect about all of it as well. Everybody today seems bound and determined to scream out to the whole world what they have to say, and make sure as many people as possible hear it. It's all about subscribers, followers, and influencers. Making a dumb face with a big font label as a click bait thumbnail to get somebody to listen to what they're doing. These guys don't do that. To me, that is so much more powerful and believable.

And the food. Enough prepared and cooked to feed 5 times the amount of people that were expected to show up. Homewrecker's cooler full of drinks with a permanent duck tape label that just says "Help Yourself!!". Every person walking or driving by the cookout gets yelled at. "Hey! Come on over here! We got a ton of food! Come eat it!!".

Not even a bit of exaggeration in this post. It's a tough time for humanity in a lot of places here on earth, but you guys give me hope. The negative stuff I mentioned earlier is spreading, but when you guys get together and do what you do, the good spreads just as fast.

Keep up the good work.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Great post Jack.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Skylander
Species: That which swims & tastes good

Post by Skylander »

Truth Country Angler!
Your daughters were sports about the day, great to see. You may have heard some whining, but they were so self sufficient and patient in the lot as we ate far too much and swapped a few lies and stories.
Thank you for being some of the good being spread!
campskylandvt.com
homewrecker
Species: salmon,mermaids

Post by homewrecker »

First Congratulations to Matt and Mat well done on a tough bite! As for this Derby it has become one the great things in my life to see so many enjoy what I love. My hope is that Jacks grandson will have to make another panel for the trophy’s to fit his name along with the rest of history’s great anglers. My partner Joey was an excellent man on deck to assist this geriatric angler and was a pleasure to fish with again. Hope there’s time in June to sneak out! And thanks to everyone that helped us make this event live on. FISH ON!
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

Very well said, Jack!! I couldn't agree more. I met my partner for this year, AveJoe, at last year's DYP. I have fished with him a few times now and have become friends. It's so refreshing to meet like-minded people at an event like this. I really enjoyed talking with everyone this year at the BBQ (was there anything else to eat there besides walleye and frog legs? ;) ).

Joe and I pre-fished for the DYP the weekend before. We caught a few salmon and a 3.7lb steelhead. And then I pre-fished again on Friday, catching 8 salmon and 4 lakers. Thought for sure we had a plan for Saturday morning. We started right where I caught fish the day before, and fished for 3.5hrs before we caught a fish ... 2 miles away! Tough morning bite. We covered 24 miles and never caught a salmon. I think we caught 5 or 6 lakers, biggest around 8lbs. We had a great time, though, despite the lack of target species!

Congrats Matt and Matt! You guys made a run and it paid off.

Till next time!
striper192001
Species: salmon

Post by striper192001 »

Well said Jack...............In ten minutes Matt and Shawn helped me with some serious issues that will enhance my fishing. Fishing with Wolverine.......haha was amazing. I want to thank everyone for all the help I have got. I just wish I could get on the water more...
The River Rat
Species: Anything that swims

Post by The River Rat »

Much Thanks John O. What a day, I crave all of it, we made it happen. Food wise we wouldn't have starved. Nice spoon BTW. Just a great day to be fishing with seriously solid fishermen. Alot of numbers we could play with, Everything was high and tight. Hard to recall a time I look forward to seeing guys after a long day then the DYP
A White